Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

3 Posts

May 8th, 2021 04:00

XPS 8930, Hardware scan errors or SA error?

Just after SupportAssist upgraded today I ran SupportAssist when I looked into the History tab it said the Hardware scan had failed and quoted these errors.  They have not been quoted before today.

- Targeted Read Test - WHD20-QY6

- SMART Short Self Test - WHD16-U8

As my machine is only 17-18 months old and the Scan did not inform of the errors in its run I am inclinded to believe that it is the SupportAssist that is wrong and not my hardware.

Desktop is XPS 8930 running Win 10. 

Can anyone help please with:

1. what the codes mean
  2. why the scan did not flag the errors at run time
  3. any other pertinent advice!

513 Posts

May 8th, 2021 05:00

@SwissChef2 

You are probably right. I had an issue once and support assist reported my hard drive was bad. Not sure exactly what I did but when I clicked something or maybe it did it on it's own IDK but I got an email less than 20 minutes saying a  replacement hard drive was ordered. And the drive was not bad. Was those errors from a hard drive test? If they were download Crystal Disk Info portable version and see if it gives an error. That is what I did drive was not bad even though Support Assist reported it was. I trust Crystal Disk info better than Support Assist. Click below to download. 

Crystal Disk Info 

513 Posts

May 8th, 2021 05:00

@SwissChef2 

Also see this it tells you what the code means. But if I were you I would still run Crystal Disk Info.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 8th, 2021 09:00

SA V3.9 was just released. It fixed one known hardware error reporting for one Inspiron laptop and 4 Alienware laptops.  There is one post in the Alienware laptop section of a new SA problem, a different problem, so it does look like its buggy.

May 9th, 2021 12:00

HI all!  Thank you very much for your help - much appreciated. I have downloaded and run CrystalDiskInfo and also run CHKDSK - all fine! so my conclusion SupportAssist error!

• 

25.1K Posts

May 11th, 2021 16:00

Hi,

We are waiting for your message to proceed further.

Looking forward to hear from you.

• 

25.1K Posts

May 14th, 2021 10:00

Hi!

As I haven't heard from you for a while, I will archive this conversation. If you need any further help, please feel free to reach out to us.

Have a good one!

No Events found!