• 

17 Posts

April 4th, 2019 23:00

XPS 8930, Win 10 Recovery disk does not boot

XPS8930
Windows 10
Made Recovery DVD and USB drive from Windows on this computer

Hi:

I created a Windows 10 recovery disk following the wizards inside windows, but it does not boot. Tried disabling secure boot and enabling legacy booting in bios, but that did not help.

F12 does not show the windows 10 recovery dvd or windows 10 recovery usb drive, only windows boot manager, I choose the second windows boot manager, then it asked if I wanted to boot from usb, I selected that option, then it said it was booting from pxe, then it suddenly booted normally into windows.

I could download an iso from Microsoft, but I would like to see this recovery disk boot since it also include the license key and will be helpful for any future re installs.

FYI: I can successfully boot from a usb with the acronis application, keeping secure boot on, but for some reason cannot with the windows recovery disk whether secure boot is enable or disabled.

How do I boot with the Windows 10 recovery disks?

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

April 5th, 2019 04:00

Perhaps the wizard you used create a defective Windows 10 Recovery disk. Is it possible to test it on another system?

Also you should not need the Recovery disk for the license key. Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account if that is how you set Windows up.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 5th, 2019 05:00

All of the issues I've had with this are related to the USB flash drives.  If you use USB 3.0 models they will fail.  I have had luck with specific USB 2.0 models when they are not counterfeit media.  It must be at least 16 gigs and no larger than 32 gigs for it to F12 boot and work.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Blade-SDCZ50-016G-Flash/dp/B0746GNC1S/

When I use a USB Blueray/DVD drive or onboard Blueray/DVD drive with a windows 10 1809 system Builder DVD it boots and works fine.

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

April 5th, 2019 09:00

The usb recovery drive is 3.0

It may be worth trying to create a usb recovery drive within windows on a usb 2.0 drive. However, I also made a dvd recovery disk using windows 10 and it will not boot either, same issue as usb 3.0 recovery drive. So, I think it is not the usb 3.0 drive but something in bios setup or something how windows 10 makes the recovery drive.

I would really like to find out why windows 10 cannot make a recovery disk that will boot, either from usb drive or dvd disk.

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

April 5th, 2019 09:00

The windows 10 wizard made a usb recovery drive and I ran it again to make a dvd recovery disk. Neither will boot. And neither will show up in F12.

If I can't find a way to fix this, then I'll have to download an iso of Windows 10 and make a bootable copy of windows with that. I was not signed in to Microsoft when I activated windows 10, it is a local account. Windows 10 did activate, so perhaps it will not be necessary to manually enter the license code when necessary to fresh install of windows.

It's windows 10 1809

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

April 5th, 2019 10:00

If you can you may want to unmark this problem as solved. I found a post that indicates the problem is that the file bootfix.bin should be in \boot on the recovery disk. You can search for the file on your C: drive, I found a copy in C:\Windows\en-US. See this post: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update-winpc/windows-10-create-a-system-repair-disk-will-not/030a931f-0d8b-4a22-88a2-4f4283e30110

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 5th, 2019 10:00

@i456Kle9p wrote:

I would really like to find out why windows 10 cannot make a recovery disk that will boot, either from usb drive or dvd disk.

It can:

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R7-factory-reinstalling-Windows-10/m-p/6237210/highlight/true#M7547

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

April 5th, 2019 20:00

I'm not talking about backing up my system for a later restore. 

It's just creating a win 10 disc with windows 10 on it made from the computer using the current version of windows. It's that disc that will not boot.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 5th, 2019 21:00

@i456Kle9p wrote:

It's just creating a win 10 disc with windows 10 on it made from the computer using the current version of windows. It's that disc that will not boot.

Right. That is the post I linked you to. It normally creates, boots, and works fine.

However, the reality is that for an XPS-8930, the one created with this tool will work just as good:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

April 5th, 2019 21:00

Thanks for reminder to unmark as solved, that was not intended. I have now removed the post as solved.

I was not able to find bootfix.bin on the recovery disk made by windows 10.

I downloaded win 10 1809 using media creation tool, installed it onto the usb drive, rebooted into F12, and there the usb drive was identified, selected it, and it booted into windows on the usb drive. 

but I would still like to know why windows 10 cannot make a recovery disk, either to usb or dvd drive, that will boot? Anybody know whats happening? 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 6th, 2019 06:00

bootfix.bin is a red herring  UEFI BIOS  ISO uses EFI boot code (efisys.bin)

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

April 6th, 2019 06:00

@i456Kle9p wrote:

Thanks for reminder to unmark as solved, that was not intended. I have now removed the post as solved.

I was not able to find bootfix.bin on the recovery disk made by windows 10.

I downloaded win 10 1809 using media creation tool, installed it onto the usb drive, rebooted into F12, and there the usb drive was identified, selected it, and it booted into windows on the usb drive. 

but I would still like to know why windows 10 cannot make a recovery disk, either to usb or dvd drive, that will boot? Anybody know whats happening? 

Did you try copying bootfix.bin to the USB recovery disk made by Windows 10 to see if that solves your problem?

I don't know why Windows 10 cannot make a recovery disk for your computer; apparently it works for some folks but then the link that I posted for you indicates you are not the only one that has had a problem. Using the Media Creation Tool is probably the best method to repair a Windows 10 problem.

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

April 6th, 2019 15:00

efisys.bin is there in recovery disk.

Any other ideas why the recovery disk made by windows 10 does not boot?

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

April 9th, 2019 08:00

Windows 10 Product Keys are embedded in the ACPI Tables of the UEFI BIOS of your Dell XPS 8930. Windows 10 Installation Media will input them automatically during installation. This is the best installation media to use. Post installation use Dell Update to install all you system drivers. See here for details:

https://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-oem-faqs-and-downloads/

It is not recommended to make installation media in DVD format on a modern computer as these usually fail to pass Secure Boot. If the install.wim of your Recovery USB exceeded 4 GB and it was hence NTFS formatted instead of FAT32 formatted it also would not pass Secure Boot and you would be unable to boot from it.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 9th, 2019 09:00

"It is not recommended to make installation media in DVD format on a modern computer as these usually fail to pass Secure Boot."

Not sure what you base that on but its entirely wrong.  Old Dells as early as 2006 and new dells made as late as Feb 2019 boot just fine from INTERNAL DVD drive or from USB DVD/Blueray Drive.

I have made both Burned DUAL LAYER DVD and Single Layer DVD that work fine in secure boot or not.

The issues with burned media have to do with the speed at which they are burned.  You burn the media at 1X or 2X or 4x 

Media burned at 8x 16x etc tend to fail.

OEM System builder DVD's boot just fine on new and old systems.

WIN10 up to 1803 is regular DVD-R

1809 is larger than 4.7 gigs and therefore requires DUAL LAYER DVD.

I purchased an 1809 OEM system Builder DVD and a USB 2.0 Blueray Burner.  Samsung BP50NB40

https://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-BP50NB40

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-8x-external-usb-2-0-blu-ray-disc-double-layer-dvdrw-cd-rw-disc-rewriter-black/9243009.p?skuId=9243009

USB 3.0 DVD or FLASH devices tend to fail booting on older as well as newer systems.   The reason to buy a blueray retail drive is that you get a copy of CYBERLINK power DVD playback software that works with Blueray as well as regular DVD's

You can also use this drive to burn Dual Layer DVD disks to make recovery media.

My optiplex GX620 and my Dell G7 7588 laptop purchased Feb 16 2019 work just fine with DVD media both commercial and burned using the USB 2.0 blueray drive linked above.

Clean install of windows 10 1809 F12 boots and works without issue regardless of secure boot on or off.

No Events found!