Start a Conversation

Unsolved

JJ

358 Posts

July 10th, 2019 01:00

XPS 8930, Windows 10 1903 query

Received this PC new, yesterday, 9th July 2019. As part of the setting up process I downloaded ALL Windows 10 updates (including re-requesting to make sure that I had EVERYTHING) and my PC is now stating that it is FULLY up to date! However, it is ONLY showing that it is on version 1809, whereas I thought that the most recent Major Update (in May 2019) had taken it to version 1903? I'm aware that version 1903 will NOT be offered to PCs with incompatibilities (particularly out of date hardware/drivers), but I wouldn't have thought that a one-day old PC should be "out of date"!

Any comments, please?
Regards, John-Jay

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 10th, 2019 03:00

https://support.microsoft.com/help/4027667

• If version 1903 isn't offered automatically through Check for updates, you can get it manually through the Update Assistant.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

July 10th, 2019 03:00

Most likely Microsoft has deemed that version 1903 is not ready for your computer. Just because a version is available does not mean it is ready for all computers. Microsoft is rolling out the update slowly. If you really want it, you could manually update but I think it is wiser to wait.

358 Posts

July 10th, 2019 04:00

@Vic384 

Thank you for your useful comment!

I was aware that Microsoft were phasing this in - mainly to ensure that older devices would not fail to update - however, I had thought (apparently wrongly) that ALL "Newer-Devices" had already been scheduled to be updated - hence my concern!

Regards,
John-Jay
ps:- Agree with you over NOT implementing a manual update!
jj

358 Posts

July 10th, 2019 08:00

As seems to be "The Way of Life", I've just rechecked for Updates & it is NOW offering myself the Ver 1903 Update!!

Many thanks, for all of your assistance!

Regards,

John-Jay

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 10th, 2019 11:00

It probably took a day for your PC's product key to work it's way through the maze at MS... :Wink:

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

July 10th, 2019 12:00

It has been reported that in the past Windows updates are automatically installed for those who "seek" the update. At least now Microsoft asks if you wish to install it. https://www.neowin.net/news/the-windows-10-may-2019-update-is-now-available-to-seekers-but-actual-seekers-this-time/

54 Posts

July 11th, 2019 09:00

I decided to do a clean install of W10 on an NVME M.2 drive, sans Dell software. Just wanted to see what would happen. Downloaded the OS tool from M$, and ran the install from a thumb drive. Deleted all the partitions and formatted the SSD. Was kind of startled at how smoothly that it went. Further, when the install was complete, ALL the drivers were pre-installed. Not a single ? or X in Device Manager. Post install, I ran WU, including the 1903 update.

AWESOME.

HOWEVER...

Visited Dell looking for driver updates. Put in my system TAG#, and a list of drivers popped up. Nothing new, mind you, which is to say nothing that I hadn't already downloaded and applied on Dell's install of W10. Ran the chipset, IO, and Intel management packages without issue. Then I ran the Intel RST package. Appeared to go smoothly, and the computer started normally.

BUT,

After that restart, my computer would no longer perform a soft power-down. I had to pull the power cable to turn it off. Research indicated that I had invoked the "BAD_POOL_CALLER" behavior that's apparently common in Windows 10. Uninstalling the RST package didn't remedy the situation, so I used System Restore to put things back together. LOL, I hadn't used SR since Win98/SE!

AT ANY RATE...

I got my clean install of Windows 10, but I'm not sure that I'll keep it. Microsoft's driver setup is apparently, at very least, somewhat incompatible with what the hardware folks are doing. I've still got the original/clean Dell/Toshiba drive that's properly configured. Can always use that to migrate the Dell setup to the M.2 drive. Will give my "clean install of Windows" a week, or so, of abuse, and then will likely go back to the Dell config.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 11th, 2019 10:00

@ivanmoe- Dell frequently tweaks drivers for the OEM version of the hardware they install. So it's always better to update to the latest drivers offered for your specific hardware and version of Windows directly from the Dell support page for the PC model.

Win 10 randomly keeps installing a new driver for the WiFi card in my Inspiron laptop. But every time it does, it breaks the WiFi and I have to revert to the driver Dell released.  Drives me nuts!

9.4K Posts

July 11th, 2019 10:00

Hi John-Jay,

Thanks for posting and for providing your service tag information.  I've read your post, and hopefully your issue has been resolved.  If you need further assistance, please feel free to reach out to me privately.  Thanks.

732 Posts

July 11th, 2019 11:00

How is this new Win 10 1903 version different? Is it better? Better for who?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 11th, 2019 19:00

@546insp wrote:

How is this new Win 10 1903 version different? Is it better? Better for who?

What's new in Windows 10, version 1903

No Events found!