Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 6th, 2019 16:00

XPS 8930 and XPS Dimension - drive letters/numbers I can't identify

Hi! Beginner here.

On both of my desktops I have drives showing and I can't identify where is it coming from.

XPS 8930 - in File Explorer I see a 'vertical' drive Icon: USB Drive (L:) - when I click it asks me to insert a drive. I think I tried all available ports - no success. In Disk Management tool it shows as Disk 8 Removable (L:) No Media.

XPS Dimension -It does not show in the File Explorer, and in Disk Management it shows as Disk 4 Removable (L:) No Media.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

October 6th, 2019 17:00

For the XPS 8930, the USB Drive (L:) could be the SD Media card reader. If you insert a SD card in the reader then you should be able to read the data on the SD card.

For the XPS Dimension, the Disk 4 Removable (L:) could be the CD/DVD drive. If you insert a CD or DVD in the drive you should be able to read the data and the no media message should go away. I am not sure why it does not show in File Explorer, the CD/DVD drive usually shows in File Explorer. Drives that show up is Disk Management usually also show up in File Explorer. Some XPS Dimensions have a floppy drive, so it could be that also, but it should also show up in File Explorer. I don't believe the XPS Dimension has a SD card reader.

You can also right-click on the drive in Disk Management and select Properties from the drop down menu to find out more about the drive.

8 Posts

October 7th, 2019 11:00

I feel a little foolish You are right. In both cases it is SSD reader. DVD reader is marked as such, and of course it reacts to the 'eject' command.

Thanks for your answer!

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

October 6th, 2019 16:00

EDIT:

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 7th, 2019 06:00

The SD reader slot cannot have a drive letter when there is no media installed.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

October 7th, 2019 09:00

"The SD reader slot cannot have a drive letter when there is no media installed."

That statement is not true. Here is a picture that shows the SD card reader in Disk Management with No Media and the Properties windows for that SD card reader. The SD card reader also shows up in File Manager.

Disk Management with SD card readerDisk Management with SD card reader

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

First I think you have to be logged in and then click on the thumbs up symbol, not on the box with the "0 Kudos".

8 Posts

Actually 8930 has letter and icon, and  Dimension does too. Both show as 'tower' icon and say 'Removable disk.

Thanks for your answer!

8 Posts

Partially related question: How come I can't add 'kudos' to the answer, which helped me? The square gets gray, I'm getting a label 'click to give kudos to this answer' but after clicking nothing happens?

Thanks!

No Events found!