Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

3 Posts

December 19th, 2019 19:00

XPS 8930, blinking 3 and 6 amber lights

Hello everyone! 

My computer shut off when installing an update, and now when I try to boot it up it turns on but nothing shows up on my monitor. The power light button turns orange then blink in the 3 and 6 pattern. I tried to flash the BIOS but unfortunately that didn't work either. Is anyone able to help me? Thank you!

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

December 19th, 2019 19:00

What update were you installing at the time? Did you try and flash the BIOS before the flashing light pattern started? The blinking pattern you described indicates a system board failure or recovery image not found. Go to this site and try the suggestions Dell offers. Hopefully the motherboard did not fail. You could try clearing the CMOS settings. The procedure is here.

3 Posts

December 19th, 2019 20:00

It was one of the regular Dell updates but I am unsure of which specific one, and I tried to flash the BIOS after the light pattern started but I couldn't even get to the menu because nothing was showing up on my monitor. I will try to clear the CMOS settings now thank you. 

3 Posts

December 19th, 2019 21:00

I reset the CMOS settings and it just went back to the blinking pattern unfortunately

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

December 20th, 2019 04:00

The sevice manual indicates 3,6 LED flashes means the problem is 'Recovery image not found'. Since you are unsure what update was being install, it is possilbe it was a BIOS update. You could try the Dell BIOS recovery options here: https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln300716/bios-recovery-options-on-a-dell-pc-or-tablet?lang=en

No Events found!