Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

1 Message

January 2nd, 2020 10:00

XPS 8930 boot, no Dell Logo

Hi, 

I have a XPS 8930 with Windows 10 pre-installed. I tried to install the non-validated by Dell Ubuntu 18.4 along with Windows 10, but it didn't go well.

Now the issue is when power on this server, I don't see the Dell logo, and it directly boots into Windows 10. I tried to press F2 or F12 or F10 right after pressing the power button, it doesn't lead to BIOS or boot menu, worse, it causes the server not able to boot up at all. I have to release those F keys and re-press the power button to boot.

Can someone from Dell customer care Technical Support respond ? 

Thanks,

Frank

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 2nd, 2020 12:00

@FrankNJ2020 wrote:

1. I tried to install the non-validated by Dell Ubuntu 18.4 along with Windows 10, but it didn't go well.

2. Can someone from Dell customer care Technical Support respond ? 

1. Install (connect only) one completely blank (spare ?) and un-initialized HDD/SSD . Clean-install Windows-10.

F12 should work, but you have to be quick ... tap-it until it works (don't hold it down).

2. I'm pretty sure they don't read or post here. This is a community-based forum. If you want official Dell Technical Support, you will have to call them.

However, a (Dell employed) forum moderator might respond if they notice your post.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

January 2nd, 2020 12:00

You need to press and release the F2 or F12 keys quickly not hold them down continuously. Also you can try turning off Fast Startup by going to All settings | Power & sleep | "Additional power settings" (on the right) | then in the Power Options window, click on "Choose what the power buttons do" | then uncheck "Turn on fast startup" under Shutdown settings.

April 8th, 2021 10:00

I got the same issue for my Dell xps desktop. I searched all the Dell support forum, surprised nobody gave any useful information. After few days struggle, find the solution is very simple, just make sure to connect with VGA cable instead of HDMI. For some reason, during bootup, seems the HDMI display card is not initialize.

No Events found!