Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

3 Posts

December 27th, 2022 07:00

XPS 8930, latency issue.

I have a XPS 8930 with 64 gig, 2 Tb internal and 1tb SSD. I only use the desktop as a DAW running Cubase 12 pro music software. I am having a latency issue on a full orchestral composition which lasts for 15 minutes duration and requires the use of several plugins. Cubase recommends using an 8 core processor so with limited financial funds I now link up my old XPS 8500 (16 gig, I7 3rd gen )  using 'input director'. Both desktops sync together without any problems. Even though the old 8500 has taken some of the track load off the 8930 (acoustic bass, cello, choir and piano tracks) the 8930 will still 'stutter & pop' under heavy build ups. The processor in the 8930 is I7-8700 processor 3.20GHZ which I presume is a 6 core?? and the old 8500 processor a quad core??? Are these 2 XPS linked desktops giving me a total of 10 core processing?? And lastly, regarding the 8930 what type/model would an upgrade to a I7-  8 core processor be as I'm a little dubious about the socket type on the 8930 or even for that matter the 8500. For the record, I purchased the 8500 in 2012 along with a new replacement MOBO which is still sealed in it's box. Any help/advice would sincerely be appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 27th, 2022 08:00

I have a home recording studio using Cakewalk (Sonar) and Studio One 4.6.

Before considering any hardware changes, does the 8930 run clean?  Basic setup as booted up and before any additional programs are started?  Run Resplendence Latency Mon (for at least 20 minutes) to see if its "clean".   

I have a laptop that I use for on-site recordings.  I thought I had it set for recording and recorded a 3 hour gig.  It turned out every 8 minutes there was a dropout.  I got the PC dropout problem resolved by doing a clean install of Win 10 with OS, needed drivers and the DAW software and plug ins, nothing else.  The fix was recommended by a friend that has a custom-built DAW PC company.

Resplendence Software - LatencyMon: suitability checker for real-time audio and other tasks

3 Posts

January 5th, 2023 15:00

Hello Fireberd, Thank you for your reply and I am sorry that I have taken this long to respond as unfortunately I only discovered your email early this morning. I am in the middle of transfering files from my external drives onto external SSD but hopefully I will be back in touch again with an update tomorrow.

Sincerely, Tom.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 5th, 2023 16:00

Is XPS 8930 running Win 10 or Win 11?

While you're at it,  set the Startup type for all Dell services listed in Start>Run>services.msc to Disabled, including Dell Update, Dell SupportAssist, etc and all Killer and xTend services. All of them can cause latency issues. Then reboot PC and see if things improve.

If it comes down to it, you could install an i7-9700 CPU which has 8 cores. My XPS 8930 came with an i7-9700 after Dell updated the XPS 8930 specs in ~2019. It uses same socket and chipset as your i7-8700 so would be an easy upgrade, but -hopefully- not necessary...

3 Posts

January 7th, 2023 18:00

Both desktops are running windows 10. I have reduced the start ups to the minimum, worse being the screen saver. Ran the cubase program yesterday with no latency however I have to add some percussion parts now so I'm hoping it will not resume the 'Jeckle and Hyde' syndrome It happens to be the name I have given to the 2 desktops. I really appreciate the help and advice from you all, thank you.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 8th, 2023 19:00

@BeanoBass wrote:

1. I have a XPS 8930 with 64 gig, 2 Tb internal and 1tb SSD.

2. The processor in the 8930 is I7-8700 processor 3.20GHZ which I presume is a 6 core??

3. Any help/advice would sincerely be appreciated.

1-2. These are all fine (including your existing i7).

3. There are a couple of other "poor latency" threads (with good tips). In summary, it's mostly what @RoHe mentioned above. Get rid of the Dell-programs (and heavy driver-suites) ... using up your extra CPU-Cycles ... and latency/performance should improve. @fireberd  is our resident DAW-expert and posted the testing-program.

No Events found!