Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

1 Message

June 7th, 2020 13:00

XPS 8930, no audio after wake or power up?

I have had my XPS 8930 for almost 2 years. I'm running Win10 Home, with 16GB of Memory. The opsys runs off of a Solid State Drive.
Many times, (but not always), when I either wake up the computer or simply power it up after being off, the speaker icon in the lower right tray has a red "X" next to it, and there is no audio. Sometimes I only notice this after I have been up and running for some time with many Apps open. My ONLY recourse is to close any open Apps and re-start the computer (a pain!), which always seems to fix the audio problem.
So, it's not a speaker-plug-is-plugged-into-the-wrong-jack kind of issue, which seems to be what most of the audio troubleshooting tips seem to say. I have checked all of the Sound devices in Device Manager, and have tried updating the driver for all four devices shown, but it tells me that the best driver is being used for each one. The 4 devices shown are Intel Display Audio, NVIDIA High Def Audio, NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device, and Realtek Audio.
When I do have audio, it works flawlessly.
Does anyone else ever have this problem, or am I the only lucky one, as I did not see the problem come up when I searched for it on this forum? And, of course, does anyone have a solution to avoid the computer re-start to solve this?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 7th, 2020 17:00

Which audio device are you actually using? Speakers inside a monitor, speakers connected directly to the audio output on rear of PC, USB speakers, BlueTooth...?

Could be a settings issue:
Start>Run>services.msc
When services.msc opens make sure RealTek Audio Service, Waves Audio Service, Windows Audio Service,  and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder are all set to Automatic startup and are actually started when you first boot the PC. Don't change anything else in services.msc and close it after checking those settings. 

Now, open Device Manager. Expand list under USB. Double-click each USB entry and if it has a power Power Management tab, click it and uncheck the box "Allow PC to turn off...". Exit Device Manager.

Next, open the Windows Power & Sleep screen. Click Additional Power Settings. On next screen, identify the active Power plan and click Change Plan Settings. On next screen, click Change Advanced Power Settings.

On that last screen, disable Hibernation, Hybrid Sleep, USB Selective Suspend, and PCI Express Link State Management. Save the changes to the Power plan and reboot.

See if that helps...

EDIT: If you're using NVidia audio and a service is listed for it in services.msc, make sure it's also set to Automatic startup and actually is starting when you boot

No Events found!