Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

10 Posts

December 6th, 2019 04:00

XPS 8930, no video until after Windows 10 loads

I purchased my kid a Dell XPS 8930 for Christmas. Last night I wanted to get a head start (going to put it back in the box and wrap it) by installing an old GTX 1070 I had laying around, along with an 800W power supply.

Problem 1: When I try to boot the computer with GPU DP plugged in, I get NOTHING. The computer will turn on, but will not even POST.

Problem 2: If I boot the computer with the on board DP using the native Intel graphics, I get video, but ONLY after Windows 10 loads. Windows 10 found the GPU and I installed drivers just fine. Furthermore, If I disconnect from the on board DP and plug into the GPU, it works fine. However, if I restart it, it will hang again until I plug back into the on board DP port.

Because I do not get any video until Windows 10 loads using the on board DP, I cannot even get into BIOS to check settings.

Thoughts?

2.5K Posts

December 6th, 2019 04:00

that old video card is not UEFI certified, (yes the new game called UEFI PAIN)

the Dell PC BIOS fails to allow (old unsafe VBIOS GPU cards now) in 2020 it gets worse.

class III, UEFI.

the first clue was the F2 key BIOS key is dead, no F2 screens show up.

there is an other cure but, is not fun, if allowed at all is regress the PC to legacy mode , IF Present in this PC.

or buy new UEFI certified, GPU from DELL, cute how that works , (not)  IBM rolls over in their grave....PC inventors.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

December 6th, 2019 06:00

First I would uninstall the GTX 1070 and make sure everything works fine using just the onlboard Intel integrated graphics including video before Windows 10 loads. Next, I would disable Secure Boot Control and enable Load Legacy OPROM in the BIOS, install the GTX 1070, and try using the discrete GPU.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 6th, 2019 13:00

Try just disabling Secure Boot in BIOS setup. You shouldn't have to enable Load Legacy OPROM in BIOS setup. 

I only have Secure Boot disabled in my XPS 8930 to see the add-in video card.

No Events found!