Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

2 Posts

March 27th, 2019 13:00

XPS 8930, sleep/wake video driver bug with latest drivers

Community,

I've got three identical XPS 8930 machines. All were updated using the Dell support app and received the latest Intel video driver for them, Intel-UHD-Graphics-Driver_0HKGK_WIN_25.20.100.6472_A01.EXE.

The machines all have dual Dell P2217 monitors for which the correct Win 10 driver is installed, and they identify correctly in device manager.  Everything identifies fine in device manager.

Machines are set for the monitors to go to sleep after 10 min.  Monitors only at this point.

Problem: after the monitors are awakened from sleep (mouse wiggle, keyboard) and the user unlocks the machine with Ctrl-alt-del and their password, any windows that were open on the secondary display have been moved to the primary display.  This is consistent across all three machines, and just started happening after the new video drivers.

Manually uninstalling the latest drivers causes the machines to revert to their original Intel 22.20.16.4758 drivers.  These do not have the bug, but are quite old.

I've tried downloading and manually installing the just prior Dell/Intel video drivers, ver 24.20.100.6290, and these also have the "move open windows to primary monitor on wake" bug. So no fix there.

What appears to be going on is that the primary display, connected via DP, is the only display detected on wake, at least at first. The second monitor is connected via HDMI. Win 10 thinks there is (at first) only a single monitor, so it moves all open windows onto it -- even though the second monitor wakes fine and functions fine in Win 10.

The question is, why aren't both monitors being detected on wake?  After unlocking the machine, everything works fine, both monitors work, and the windows can be dragged back to the secondary, HDMI connected monitor just fine.  But every time the monitors sleep, all open windows are moved to the DP monitor.

I've looked for settings in the drivers to control this, but to no avail. Rolling back the video drivers stops the bug, so it's something with the latest versions.

I've tried installing even newer drivers from Intel itself, but they won't install because they detect a Dell machine and say to get drivers from Dell.

Any suggestions?

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

March 28th, 2019 05:00

Obviously if the only change is the driver, then it must be a driver issue. The only thing I can think of trying is switching the primary and secondary monitors in the settings. Right click the Desktop, select Display settings, then click on the secondary monitor (#1 or *2), and then under Multiple displays check the box next to "Make this my main display". After switching the primary and secondary monitors your main display should now be connected via HDMI and your secondary display should be connected via DisplayPort.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 28th, 2019 11:00

If Vic's suggestion to switch primary and secondary monitors doesn't help and/or you're intent on having the "latest, but not so great video driver", you could try this:

Open the Windows Power options screen and identify the active Power plan. Click the link to change its settings and on next screen click link for Additional Options. On that screen, disable Hibernation, disable Hybrid Sleep,  and disable PCI Express Link State Management. Save the changes to the power plan and reboot.

Does that help when DP is still the primary monitor?

And it all goes back to the same old rule: If it ain't broke, don't break it! :BigSmile:

3 Posts

December 13th, 2019 09:00

I have the same issues with a Vostro running onboard Intel UHD 630. It is a brand new machine and two rounds with technical support were fruitless. One person told me that since it is not a "hardware" issue, I cannot get free tech support even thought machine is less than a few weeks old. Also implied that my machine was sold as a single monitor setup, which make no sense to me. Dell did not provide the monitors either.

I went thru the same steps including changing which port drives the primary monitor. I also spent time with Intel who said there is a new driver, but not approved by Dell yet. Not sure if this fixes the issue.

Intel said there are a lot of people with this problem and Dell needs to address this with either their drivers or a discussion with Microsoft on possible changes with lastest Win 10 Pro updates.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 13th, 2019 10:00

I have an XPS 8930 using Intel-UHD-Graphics-Driver_H3PND_WIN_26.20.100.7263_A04.EXE so @m_gotts seemed to be using old drivers.  (CAVEATS: I also have an NVidia GTX 1660Ti add-in video card and I don't use dual monitors.)

@TangoC- Always include the exact PC model number in your posts!

Are you saying you don't have any add-in video card?  What version of BIOS is running? And have you checked the Support page for you exact model recently? At least some Vostros got driver updates this week...

• 

25.1K Posts

December 13th, 2019 12:00

Hi TangoC!

I have replied to you via private note.

Dell-Deepti

3 Posts

December 13th, 2019 12:00

Vostro 5090 with onboard Intel UHD 630 video - not a separate video card.

BIOS is Dell 1.2.0 dated 10/23/19

Display drive from Dell is Intel 26.20.100.7262 dated 9/25/19.

Intel has newer driver not approved by Dell. Nothing in the release note indicating a fix for this problem.

I have checked the updates daily since getting this machine on a few weeks ago.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 18th, 2019 12:00

@m_gotts- Did you make all the changes to the Power plan that I suggested in your original thread?

And if that doesn't help, you'll have to decide whether this monitor problem is more bothersome than having to look for BIOS and driver updates manually after disabling SupportAssist and/or Dell Update so you won't be force fed the bum Intel driver update again and again.

2 Posts

December 18th, 2019 12:00

This is an update to my original post.  The problem is unresolved as of 12/18/19.  Drivers for the XPS-8930 with Intel UHD 630 video are the latest provided by Dell for the machine (as I and others have posted, Intel has newer drivers, but they won't install on a Dell machine).

With dual monitors, when the monitors go to sleep and then wake up later, only the one connected to the Displayport is initially detected on waking, not the one connected to HDMI.  So Win 10 moves all windows to the Displayport screen.  Then a second or so later the HDMI-connected monitor wakes up, looks and functions as normal.  But anything on it when it went to sleep has been moved to the monitor connected via displayport.

NOTE: this is *only* the monitors going to sleep, not the PC. There is no standby or hibernation involved because these machines are set to not sleep/standby/hibernate.

I've got three identical XPS 8930 machines with Dell monitors that all exhibit this behavior, but it started after a display driver update months ago and the problem persists now through several newer display drivers up to the latest versions.

I've sometimes been able to roll back the machines to the original driver that came with the computer by deleting the latest driver off the machine and rebooting.  But eventually (sometimes immediately) a newer driver is detected and installed.  The only "fix" for this is to then disable the Dell software updating service.  But that eliminates being informed of critical BIOS updates, etc, too, and would force me to manually look for updates at some interval.

It's idiotic that this is happening and extremely annoying to the users, who have just been beaten into submission and accept that this is how they have to work.   We've extended the monitor sleep interval to 30 min so that it only happens after lunch and overnight, but still.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 18th, 2019 14:00

@m_gotts wrote:

I've got three identical XPS 8930 machines. 

The machines all have dual Dell P2217 monitors 

Problem: after the monitors are awakened from sleep (mouse wiggle, keyboard) and the user unlocks the machine with Ctrl-alt-del and their password, any windows that were open on the secondary display have been moved to the primary display.  This is consistent across all three machines, and just started happening after the new video drivers.

Any suggestions?

1. Instead, clean-install the Intel-UHD driver provided by Microsoft inside Windows-10. It should work perfectly fine for you.

2. Stop using HDMI ports. Use DisplayPort or DVI.

3. If you don't like those options ... wait for an Intel driver update. And then wait again for Dell to Validate it and upload it (since you apparently like to use those Dell drivers).

No Events found!