Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 30th, 2022 08:00

XPS 8930, slow shut down

XPS 8930

XPS 8930

Hi All,

My XPS 8930 started to shut down very slowly (1.5 - 2.0 min) at the end of each day, about 5-10 days ago. (Fast boot up, about 21 seconds from the time the Dell logo shows.)

I checked for updates and updated 3 "Urgent" updates, including Bios. But the problem persists.

I have a pretty standard configuration: Win 10 Pro 21H2 (build 19044.1889), 32GB RAM, MS Office 2021 and other standard software, etc.

Would greatly appreciate your advice.

JF

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 1st, 2022 16:00

Have you tried rebooting your router and modem, if you have both?

Are you using WiFi or Ethernet?

There have been a couple of recent "Intel Corporation - Extension" updates (most recently - v3.1222.608.4, ‎on 8/‎26/‎2022 here) that were pushed by Windows Update (look in WU update history), that are actually updates for Killer Ethernet on the XPS 8930. (Intel bought Killer a while back.)

This last update didn't actually update the Ethernet driver (v9.0.0.50), and supposedly only fixed a bug in the Killer Control Center app. I don't use KCC, so don't know if this latest update could be a problem.

Also got "Intel Corporation - SoftwareComponent - 3.1222.608.4" update (8-31-22) which has the same number as the "Extension". No idea what this one is.

I use Killer Ethernet without a router on my XPS 8930 with FiOS service, and haven't noticed any specific access delays. But, I did notice this last Extension re-enabled all the unnecessary Killer and xTend services listed in services.msc which I had previously disabled. So you may want to disable those, if they're enabled, and see if that helps. 

I also disabled the Killer Intelligence Center app on the Startup tab in Task Manager, because I don't want/need that one either. So that's another thing to look at.

Don't know if any recent Intel updates are for Killer WiFi because I have Qualcomm WiFi in my XPS 8930. So if you're using Killer WiFi, I can't help there...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 3rd, 2022 10:00

@Josephus Flavius  Glad you got it sorted!

I beat you on boot time! It's only 12 sec here according to Task Manager, and I timed ~10-15 sec for shutdowns.

I also have Logitech Options on my PC and had to configure my firewall to block Options from accessing the net, which it does constantly, even though I set Options not to look for updates automatically.  Wouldn't be surprised if that was your culprit.

I hate when updates change the user's settings back to defaults without warning. So I make a habit to review all my settings after any major update, especially after a BIOS update. BIOS updates always re-set all BIOS settings to defaults, including allowing future BIOS updates via Windows Update (UEFI Capsule Update setting). I want to control when/if BIOS is updated, and I will do it via the F12 menu. 

54 Posts

December 1st, 2022 19:00

Fixed! The gigabit switch, installed between the Fios Extender and the PC, tricks the Extender to stay on continuously.

Thanks again for all your help, @RoHe !

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 30th, 2022 09:00

The Windows option "Fast Startup" is nice, but it tends to also INCREASE shut-down time. However, 1-2 minutes seems incorrect. 

If your machine boots from a C-drive that is a NVMe-SSD, you do not really need this option Enabled anyway.

54 Posts

August 30th, 2022 11:00

Thank you very much, Tesla1856!

Yes, this desktop is set for Fast Startup and it is an SSD C drive (not sure of the exact type). But no startup setting changes were made in a couple of years or more, and this slow shutdown is a very recent change.

Just in case it helps, I also noticed in the past few days a slower finding of the internet after booting or when waking from sleep. (Wired LAN connection via the same type of FIOS router as before, at a new location in the same neighborhood.) FIOS is otherwise working well, including a fast wi-fi connection. 

The desktop is functioning as before, except for the slow shutdown and the slower finding of the internet.

Thank you again,

JF

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 30th, 2022 12:00

You could try this:

1. At desktop, open a CMD prompt window, Run as administrator

2. At the prompt, type in: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and press Enter, Be sure to include a space in front of each / and note any error messages when that's done.

3. Assuming no "unfixed" errors in #2, at the CMD prompt, type in: sfc /scannow and press Enter. Be sure to include a space in front of the / and note any errors when that's done.

4. Assuming no "unfixed" errors in #3, reboot and see if that helps...

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 30th, 2022 14:00

@Josephus Flavius wrote:

1. it is an SSD C drive , Wired LAN connection 

2. Fast Startup , or when waking from Sleep. 

3. I also noticed in the past few days a slower finding of the internet after booting (Wired LAN connection via the same type of FIOS router as before, at a new location in the same neighborhood.) FIOS is otherwise working well, including a fast wi-fi connection. 

1. Both nice ... good work.

2. Maybe try disabling both of those and also Hibernation. Sometimes, you have to enter a power config command to get it to start obeying new configs.

3. Separate issue. Can be looked-at/worked-on later. There is an ipconfig command to reset it. Check your Reliability History Report.

54 Posts

August 30th, 2022 17:00

Thanks, Ron. Came without any unfixed errors.

Shutdown is now 53 seconds. Better, but still seems longer than it used to be only a short while ago -- like 5-10 days ago.

Glad your advice helped, like it did several times in the past.

Many thanks,

JF

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 30th, 2022 18:00

@Josephus Flavius wrote:

Shutdown is now 53 seconds. Better, but still seems longer 

That's because you have Fast-Startup on, and it has to write the the current Hibernation file. (Which is not really needed with a nice/fast NVMe-SSD Boot Drive).

Next, the kernel configures core system functions, enumerates the devices attached to the computer, and loads drivers for them. In contrast, a Fast Startup simply loads the hibernation file (Hiberfil. sys) into memory. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/kernel/distinguishing-fast-startup-from-wake-from-hibernation

54 Posts

August 30th, 2022 19:00

I'm sure you're correct...

Could you please remind me where to change boot settings for the Fast-Startup? I looked for them via both F2 and F12 menus but didn't see anything indicating I have Fast-Startup on, though I believe I do.

Thank you again!

JF

54 Posts

August 31st, 2022 07:00

Just to clarify, I have Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2, OS build 19044.1889

I know the place of setting Fast Startup is different, depending on the version, and I'm still unable to find it.

Thank you again,

JF

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 31st, 2022 11:00

Fast Startup is a Windows setting not a BIOS setting:

1. Boot to desktop
  2. Open: Windows Power & Sleep screen
  3. Click: Additional power settings
  4. Click: Change what power buttons do
  5. Click: Change settings that are currently unavailable
  6. UNcheck: Turn on fast startup
  7. Click: Save changes
  8. Do a full shutdown, not just a restart
  9. Time the next shutdown, and next boot time after that shutdown to see which is more acceptable for you, faster shutdowns or longer boot times

BTW: are you leaving any apps open (possibly in background) now that are slowing the shutdowns?

FWIW: I'll time shutdown on my XPS 8930 (Win 10 Pro, 21H2) with Fast Startup enabled later today, assuming I remember...!

54 Posts

August 31st, 2022 21:00

So, when I get to "Change settings that are currently unavailable"... below the Power and Sleep button settings, only two boxes appear: Sleep and Lock (both checked). There is no "Turn on fast startup" that I can UNcheck.

Maybe because of the SSD boot drive?

I did time the current state: boot - 21 seconds; shut-down - 1:03 min. (no programs on, only Win Explorer).

My sense is that shut off was quite a bit faster only a couple of weeks ago (I didn't time it).

And the boot is so fast because you helped me solve a problem w/ sound drivers, back in 2021.

If you have suggestions on what I might be able to do to make the shut-down faster... that would be great.

Many thanks,

JF

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 1st, 2022 11:00

Open a CMD prompt window. At the prompt, type in powercfg /hibernate on and press the Enter. That should make Fast Startup visible under "settings that are currently unavailable".

Have you checked the health of your boot SSD lately? CrystalDiskInfo (free) is useful for this.

Has some new task been scheduled to run at shutdown? You can look in Windows Task Scheduler.

Have you scanned thoroughly for malware? Malwarebytes (free).

FWIW, with Fast Startup enabled, my XPS 8930 (512 GB SSD boot drive) shuts down in ~15 sec, from time I select Shut Down on the Start menu until my monitor says "No Signal".

54 Posts

September 1st, 2022 15:00

Thanks again, @RoHe !

Got the Fast Startup visible. Crystal's boot SSD (and all other disks) tested "Good". Malware is monitored continuously and tested regularly. I also eliminated several probably unnecessary tasks, but nothing struck as likely causing the problem.

When Fast Startup is unchecked, the desktop starts at about the same speed, 21 seconds, while shutdown is somewhat down 46 seconds, from 53-62 seconds before.

As I said, the slow shut down is a recent change; it was probably about 20-25 seconds before. I've made no changes to the overall setup and installed no new software. I'm guessing some update is likely causing it -- though not the very last MS update which was made after the problem started. 

The only other thing to report is that immediately after boot up, the the browser finds the internet after a longer delay than before. But I'm working under a new FIOS router and have yet to test it with a diff computer to eliminate the possibility it it the router and not the PC causing this problem.

I'd greatly appreciate any further suggestions you might have.

JF

No Events found!