Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 9th, 2020 19:00

XPS 8940, Better 3rd party cooler

Hello there

I would greatly appreciate any help to find a new/better 3rd party cooler for my XPS 8940. It came with the thin and small stock cooler and is overheating the whole time. I got a i9-10900 processor with 128 GB of RAM and I need this computer to generate some GIS layers. These jobs take 2-4 hrs every time and I can see that the processor is throttling or C° 97+ all the time.

I tried the Noctua 15S but the problem is there is no space for the bracket under the motherboard. The stock fan screws directly into the chassis from above.

Thank you very much

6 Posts

December 20th, 2020 06:00

The screws and washers have to be purchased separately. I bought mine from Lowes. Home depot should have them too. Others have purchased from amazon, but i wasn't looking for a kit of 300 pieces.

December 21st, 2020 01:00

Good job here, I used exactly the same cooler with my G5 5090. FYI, I think you installed the mounting rails incorrectly, they should have run from left-right as per the picture instead of top-bottom (according to the Noctua installation guide)...but I dont think it matters.

4 Posts

January 9th, 2021 17:00

@JamesonB Hi! A total noob here, I want to try this out myself, but Im not exactly sure what I need. After going through this very useful thread, I decided to go for the NH-U9S and NF-A9 like you did, but since the NF-A9 has some variations, PWM, FLX, which one with how many pins do I want for the 8940?

Another thing, you moved the cage of the hard drive, is this necessary to have enough space?

I also notice that the GPU only has one fan, which normally should have 2. Is there any way to add one more and would it be necessary for the long run?

Thank you!

6 Posts

January 9th, 2021 19:00

@hquangn go for the PWM, it should have four pins. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RUZ059O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regarding the hard drive cage, I wanted unrestricted airflow, space was of no concern.

Truth be told I don't know what the best approach is for the video card. I'm sure its fine the way it is, but if you had to you could find some after market cooler.

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Accelero-Xtreme-III-CrossFire/dp/B007YLUCKQ/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=ARCTIC+Accelero+Xtreme+III&qid=1610249691&s=electronics&sr=1-1

Have fun tinkering

4 Posts

January 10th, 2021 08:00

@JamesonB thank you for the quick reply! I will post my result here in a few days when all the parts arrive.

Also, there is no way to upgrade the PSU right? Can you confirm this? 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 10th, 2021 10:00

@hquangn     Also, there is no way to upgrade the PSU right? Can you confirm this? 

That issue has had some great work done by @redxps630  . . . but I believe is still a work-in-progress . . . needing additional confirmation for XPS 8940

Dell 6-pin to ATX 24-pin 

Of course . . . an ATX PSU would most likely need to sit outside the case.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

January 10th, 2021 11:00

Dell engineering uses same genetic design of 6 pin ATX and 2x 4 pin 12V CPU in multiple new desktop models including XPS 8940, G5 5090, Vostro 3681. This makes sense.  Motherboard for these three models listed below.

D2C8496D-6029-451D-BBC3-9278E222E054.jpeg1AB9AD06-A452-4F22-9B11-DA75187396E3.jpeg515115A7-EAA8-40C2-B855-2C5A5950CA2D.jpeg

PSU of XPS 8940 and G5 5090 are interchangeable.

XPS 8940 500W psu:

99TPH 500w Liteon
Y7R0X 500w Chicony

Y7R0X 500W psu D500E005P H500EPM-00 for G5 5090, 7070, 7060

https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-Wiki/FAQ-XPS-8940/ta-p/7675306

G5 5090 460W psu:

p/n: 4FWF7 PWR SPLY,460W, CHNY

p/n: HG9XD PWR SPLY,460W, ACBL

p/n: 92WNC PWR SPLY,460W, LTON

Dell Optiplex 7050/3050/5050/3040/3046 psu DP/N  4FWF7, 460W, H460EBM-00

Therefore https://www.moddiy.com/products/Dell-OptiPlex-3040-3050-3060-Main-Power-24-Pin-to-6-Pin-Adapter-Cable.html

24 to 6 pin ATX adapter for 3050 is applicable to G5 and XPS 8940.

1 Rookie

• 

31 Posts

January 10th, 2021 16:00

I have been researching for a solution to avoid the BIOS errors that you are having because I want to also install the same Noctua NH-U9S Cooler.  

The solution is also from Noctua and it is the Noctua NA-FC1 kit.  Here is the Noctua webpage and the Amazon link as well for the kit.

https://noctua.at/en/na-fc1/video

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072M2HKSN/?coliid=I2D6M7R80F6AE&colid=1CJHYICAQGPGZ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Here is YouTube demostrating and explaining how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZuxvv7G4fw

As you will see the kit will connect to both the SATA power to adequately run the fans (up to 3) and it also connects the fan header on the motherboard to solve the BIOS error that you getting.

It has all the cables needed to connect up to 3 fans, power them from SATA, and also connect to MB Fan Header as well.

I am going to order the NH-U9S, the NA-FC1 kit, and an additional NF-A9 PWN fan to replace the stock exhaust fan inside the rear of the 8940 case.  I would to purchase a second fan and here is where I have a question for you.

I see you have two fans on the cooler.  From the pics I have seen so far for the NH-U9S I only see one clip to mount the fan that comes with it.  Also, the pics I have seen for the NF-A9 PWN fan does not seem to show a mounting clip to mount it as a second fan to cooler.  Where do I get the additional clip so that I can also mount a second fan to the cooler?  Please provides links, Amazon if possible, if I need to purchase a separate clip.

Please let me what you @Dreen_F think, and anyone else in this post for that matter.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 10th, 2021 17:00

@redxps630   24 to 6 pin ATX adapter for 3050 is applicable to G5 and XPS 8940.

@hquangn 

OK, that's awesome . . . so there is the answer. In case you are concerned about the aesthetics of an ATX PSU sitting outside the case . . . this is what it looks like on an XPS 8930.

(click photo to embiggen)

25.JPG

1 Rookie

• 

31 Posts

January 10th, 2021 18:00

@JamesonB 

I can't tell from your pics.  Is there enough space to fully populate the RAM slots with 4 sticks, one in each slot?  From the pics it seems that the fourth and final slot closest to the cooler might be blocked by the fan.

1 Rookie

• 

31 Posts

January 10th, 2021 18:00

@Darren_F 

A few more questions.  Did you have to purchase the 16mm M3 screws, and the M3 and M4 washers?  Or were they used from the original cooler configuration?  If they were purchased can you provide Amazon links please?

Lastly, a question for everyone.  Which thermal paste does everyone use/recommend?

BTW, I replied to your post regarding the BIOS errors you are getting.  I found a solution.  I forget to address you in the beginning of my post with the "@Darren_F", I mention this in case you didn't see my reply with the solution and also questions.  IF you can please read and reply as I am positive that it will resolve your BIOS errors, and I would like to know regarding my question pertaining to a second fan on the cooler..  As I stated in my other post I plan to do the same setup.

January 12th, 2021 13:00

first time tinkering with electronics but looking to improve cooling on my 8940 (10700 non K and 3070)

as per this thread i purchased U9S cpu cooler, 2 A9 fans (1 for rear exhaust and an additional one for cpu cooler), and the NF-1 (?) fan controller as to avoid bios error while giving the fans more juice (if im understanding it correctly)

a point of confusion for me is the m3 screws. they are used for the cooler to be compatible with stock backplate correct? if i dont use these screws i would have to dismount the motherboard to install the noctua backplate? and m3x16mm is the correct size and it should be installed with a washer and the noctua spacer? and how many are needed? 2? 4?

im feeling a little overwhelmed atm but im hoping with everything in front of me it wont be as bad

also my gpu appears to take up the entire length of the case and at the end (where the lower front intake is) theres a black shroud and some seemingly messy wiring. i personally dont think a fan would fit there at all, is this because of my configuration with the 3070 or do i need to try and move stuff around? doesn't look like theres many places to even move stuff there but im kind of afraid to touch things lol

sorry for the long list of questions and concerns but even after hours of googling and youtube i still dont feel very confident

thanks in advance!

Skyler

110 Posts

January 12th, 2021 15:00

Hey Guys.. and any Gals...

I could use a bit of advise and have a few questions.. thanks in advance for the help.

I'm making the assumption that many are wanting better cooling for faster CPU speeds? Running 2.9Ghz min and 4.8Ghz (10th gen, i7) if the CPU is cooler.. is this the main reason so many are looking at this? 

I've read every post on cooling the 8940... mine system arrives tomorrow (should of been here today... but Fed-X... what can I say?). I had the XPS 8700 for years and about 3 weeks ago it just stopped working - I won't go into the details but I use to work at a company called Micronics (long ago) and know a fair about about motherboards, building computers, etc. As technology has passed me by (I'm 69 now - man that seems old!), I seek knowledge from others that "know" what they are doing. I plan to turn the 8940 on its side, take the side cover off, and run it like that (see picture). I have two thoughts on this: 1) opening the chassis may not provide better cooling as the air flow is not constrained inside the chassis, pushing the air over the CPU and Memory, or 2) as many have done, monitor the temperature and see if I need to add any fans to pull / push air. I have a very good Fluke meter, which measures temperature to +/- 1 degree using an external probe I can place inside the chassis. I don't play games (have not so far - but thinking on this).. but I do video editing a fair amount, burning the movie (of vacations / travel / Christmas... ) to DVD. 

I'm just looking for facts about leaving the side off the chassis or not - and if it will help cooling, or not. 

One other question. I read people connecting fans to the spare SATA power connectors.. how is this accomplished? Is there a cable that connects into the SATA plug and feeds out to 12V so I can connect fans? I know of other options but wanted to ask about this as I have not done this before. 

Thanks

ScottThinking of this Chassis mountThinking of this Chassis mount

January 13th, 2021 04:00

first time tinkering with electronics but looking to improve cooling on my 8940 (10700 non K and 3070)

as per this thread i purchased U9S cpu cooler, 2 A9 fans (1 for rear exhaust and an additional one for cpu cooler), and the NF-1 (?) fan controller as to avoid bios error while giving the fans more juice (if im understanding it correctly)

a point of confusion for me is the m3 screws. they are used for the cooler to be compatible with stock backplate correct? if i dont use these screws i would have to dismount the motherboard to install the noctua backplate? and m3x16mm is the correct size and it should be installed with a washer and the noctua spacer? and how many are needed? 2? 4?

im feeling a little overwhelmed atm but im hoping with everything in front of me it wont be as bad

also my gpu appears to take up the entire length of the case and at the end (where the lower front intake is) theres a black shroud and some seemingly messy wiring. i personally dont think a fan would fit there at all, is this because of my configuration with the 3070 or do i need to try and move stuff around? doesn't look like theres many places to even move stuff there but im kind of afraid to touch things lol

sorry for the long list of questions and concerns but even after hours of googling and youtube i still dont feel very confident

thanks in advance!

Skyler

1 Rookie

• 

31 Posts

January 13th, 2021 12:00

@Colorado_scott 

With regard to power your fans via SATA PWR, everything you will need is included in the Noctua NA-FC1 kit.  I want to point out that this kit will will support powering up to three fans via the SATA PWR.  Your 8490 might already have a SATA PWR cable available depending on your current configuration.  My 8490 came with a pre-installed SATA data and power cable that is already connected to the motherboard and its intended purpose was to provide connectivity to drives that would go in the 2.5" bay.  Since I do not intend to install any 2.5" drives I will use this SATA power cable to connect the NA-FC1 kit.  Watch the video I found on YouTube and posted earlier in this thread that explains more about the NA-FC1 kit.

However, if you do not plan on upgrading the CPU cooler and/or replacing the rear fan it might be overkill to get the NA-FC1 kit.

At the very least if I were you I would re-apply thermal past to the CPU and current cooler since most manufacturers use cheap thermal paste and never apply it very well either. I also recommend monitoring your CPU temps with a free program such as NZXT CAM, very easy to use, interface is very user friendly.  Depending on what your temp readings are a new application of good thermal paste might be enough for you.  However, if you want your temps even lower after the thermal paste re-application then you will most likely have to upgrade the CPU cooler and fans.  I highly recommend this and I think everyone on this thread does as well.

You just purchased a new PC with decent specs so why not potentially prolong it's life and performance by upgrading the cooler.  It seems that most users here have done this on their 8940 with the Noctua NH-U9S CPU cooler, and also upgraded the exhaust fan on the inside rear of the PC with Noctua NF-A9 PWN.  Finally some user have even added a second fan to the cooler, for push/pool airflow through the CPU cooler. With the second fan to the CPU cooler you will have a total of three fans, two on the cooler for push/pull airflow, and one at the inside rear of the PC.  And again the NA-FC1 kit will support all three of these fans with SATA power.

I just ordered the cooler, two fans (BTW, one fan comes with the cooler), and the kit two days ago.  I also went to my local hardware store to get the screws (4 x M3x16MM) and washers (4 x M3 & 4 x M4) for the cooler installation.

I hope this was helpful.

No Events found!