Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 9th, 2020 19:00

XPS 8940, Better 3rd party cooler

Hello there

I would greatly appreciate any help to find a new/better 3rd party cooler for my XPS 8940. It came with the thin and small stock cooler and is overheating the whole time. I got a i9-10900 processor with 128 GB of RAM and I need this computer to generate some GIS layers. These jobs take 2-4 hrs every time and I can see that the processor is throttling or C° 97+ all the time.

I tried the Noctua 15S but the problem is there is no space for the bracket under the motherboard. The stock fan screws directly into the chassis from above.

Thank you very much

20 Posts

April 26th, 2021 07:00

Hi @SteveK318 thanks for the sharing. Will get the Noctua 92mm fans next round.

16 Posts

April 26th, 2021 09:00

@PauRoNL  Does the fan at bottom help cool down the GPU card?

20 Posts

April 26th, 2021 09:00

Hi @SteveK318 do you know if Dell cooler has the 125w one? Cause I only saw 95w so far but manual show there is 125w...

Refer to page 40-43 of manual

https://dl.dell.com/topicspdf/optiplex-7080-desktop_owners-manual5_en-us.pdf

290 Posts

April 26th, 2021 11:00

Ah.... Summer !! good information !!

290 Posts

April 26th, 2021 11:00

@Gerrard Loo - I don't know if that's the same one used in the k variant cpu's or not. maybe someone more knowledgeable on that topic can help you out. 

3 Posts

April 26th, 2021 16:00

Might be a noob question but does anyone know if it's possible or worth it to fit a PCIE fan/fan bracket above the graphics card? Even with my Noctua fans the single intake fan on the dell version of the RTX 2060 isn't quite cutting it for cooling during long render times and VR stuff.

1 Rookie

• 

24 Posts

April 27th, 2021 09:00

All,

I know there have already been many positive experiences shared here about the benefits of upgrading from the stock non-k “pancake” cooler but I wanted to add mine as one more endorsement to strongly recommend doing this in case anyone is still undecided.

I had already replaced the stock 80mm rear exhaust fan with a 92mm Noctua NF-A9 PWM and added a Noctua 120mm NF-A12x25 PWM to the front upper area as an intake fan. These delivered a very slight decrease in CPU temps but today I have replaced the stock cooler with the NoctuaNH-U9S based on recommendations from this and other threads.

The results are very, very good indeed and in fact exceeded my expectations. I run very CPU intensive video rendering software and with the stock cooler I was quickly reaching temps of 97-100 and the CPU was then thermal throttling every time. After the upgrade to the NoctuaNH-U9S I have run the same software for the same periods of time and the temps have not got above 75. This is a reduction of 25 degrees which I am very happy with. Also the NoctuaNH-U9S is definitely a lot quieter than the stock cooler, as others have reported.

As an aside I also monitored the VR temp as there has been discussion here about whether the tower style Noctua coolers may potentially leave the VRS with less cooling that the stock down-draught cooler. I have not fitted any kind of heat sink to the VRS.  Running the same video rendering software, with the stock cooler the VR temp was maximum 60 and following the upgrade to NoctuaNH-U9S the VR temp has not exceeded 63. Therefore, certainly for CPU intensive activity, it would appear that the VR temp has only increase very slightly and in fact that could almost be within margin of error. This is not to say it may not be a good idea at some stage to fit a VR heat sink (I cannot get the Dell or Amazon one here in the UK at the moment), but certainly for now based on my experience it would appear not to be any cause for concern. 

290 Posts

April 27th, 2021 10:00

@Gambit_man - glad to here you went forward with installing the Noctua NH-U9S cooler ! And really glad that the results exceeded your expectations ! I'm just curious since I put a fair amount of time in trying different mounting methods, which way you went ? Did you go with the conventional method of screws and washers, or did you use set screws (grub screws) and the Noctua thumb nuts included with the cooler ?

1 Rookie

• 

24 Posts

@SteveK318  I went with the 3m x 16mm screws with 3m washers which was the method I had seen described most often in the various threads and which worked well. I did later see your posts about also being able to use the grub screws and supplied Noctua thumb nuts, but by then I had already ordered the screws and washers from Amazon at the same time I ordered the cooler.

With hindsight I can see that the alternative method is probably even easier as you can screw the grub screws into the 4 mobo holes then pop the black spacers over the top of those so they stay held in place while you put the spacers on. With the screw and washer method you have to place the black spacers over the mobo holes and kind of hope they stay still while you carefully place the brackets on top of them ready for screwing. I did have to fiddle around slightly to get everything to line up but not a real issue.   

363 Posts

@LjChesla do you mean something like this? If so, you'd likely get better results with this installed UNDER the GPU so that it blows air into the GPU fans (if your GPU is a blower style that exhausts heat at the back of the PC).

Don't expect spectacular results though, as you are still limited by the quality of the GPU fans themselves, as well as by the quality of the way in which the heatsink was mounted on the GPU. And from the pictures and videos I've seen online, Dell's OEM manufacturer (likely MSI or Foxconn) haven't really gone for a high-quality installation or thermal paste application. I've seen pictures of plastic labels not having been removed from the underside of the heatsink, which is supposed to make metal-to-metal contact with the GPU memory shield, I've seen a mess of thermal paste that did more harm than good and so on.

If you want a significant difference in temps, there are a few methods, but they will void your GPU warranty as they all involve removing parts of the heatsink.

1. De-shroud it: remove the plastic that covers parts of the heatsink, remove the dell fans, install larger high-quality fans (e.g. Noctua) directly on the heatsink.

2. Re-paste it: remove the entire heatsink off the card, clean the GPU really well of the messy thermal paste job, remove plastic stickers off the metal surfaces if needed, apply high-quality thermal paste to both GPU itself as well as the part of the heatsink that contacts the memory shield. Re-install everything.

3. Combine options 1 & 2 for even better thermal gains

4. The most drastic option: remove the entire heatsink and discard it / make it a paper weight. Install a GPU waterblock and go with liquid cooling (might as well do the CPU too at the same time).

I am planning to eventually go with option 2, or maybe 1&2. Not yet, but maybe by the end of the year.

4 Posts

April 27th, 2021 11:00

I have received my XPS 8940 with i9 11900K. After confirming that the all components are working good, I replaced the original tiny case fan with a 120mm Arctic P12 PWM PST CO (very tight fit with squeezing it to the back wall) and attached another identical one to the upper front area. I should say it is louder than I expected (at least for my taste)! But I can definitely feel the airflow by hand in front of the grill. Haven't stressed the pc yet so I don't know how well they will keep the cpu cool. But no load temperature is around 28C within the 22.5 C environment. Maybe tweaking with the rpm may help to reduce the noise. Is there any good way to do it?

1 Rookie

• 

24 Posts

April 27th, 2021 11:00

Minor typo in my last post.  What I meant to say was.... you can screw the grub screws into the 4 mobo holes then pop the black spacers over the top of those so they stay held in place while you put the Noctua BRACKETS on. 

290 Posts

April 27th, 2021 12:00

@bertro514 - wow, that's crazy - they actually left the plastic on ? I haven't had any trouble with my card, so I think I'm good for now. But if I win the lottery (which I don't play) I might go for it and tear my GPU apart and re-paste it... other than that, not at this time !! And by the way, warranty shmoranty  .  At this point who cares !!

April 27th, 2021 13:00

What’s an easy way to put a reasonable load on the VRM to heat it up (nothing extreme)?  I plan to install the 612F7 (knockoff) heatsink tomorrow, but would like to do a before and after test to see how much temp difference the heatsink makes.

363 Posts

April 27th, 2021 13:00

@Richmond Dan if you want to really stress the VRM, first download ThrottleStop and remove the turbo limits on the CPU so that it sustains a long term/indefinite boost with high power consumption.

To do that, first open the FIVR window in ThrottleStop and check the "Disable and lock Turbo power limits" box, then reboot, then open ThrottleStop again, go into the TPL window, set both PL1 and PL2 values to 250 and slide both time sliders all the way to max.

Then run a stress test / benchmark: either Cinebench all-core, or Prime 95 (pick the "Small FFTs" option and set it to run on all threads), or even the stress test included with ThrottleStop (the "TS Bench" button). When that's running on all cores, monitor the power draw in ThrottleStop. Make sure it doesn't go back down to 65W after about 30 seconds (which would mean that the Turbo Boost is still being limited). If all goes well, the CPU should boost to a significant wattage (my 10900F hovered around 200-205W) and the VRM temp should go up. Keep that running for 20-30 minutes and see how far up it goes. Ideally, the heatsink keeps it under 100. (VRMs have a higher thermal cutoff point than the CPU. It can go up to 115-120 before it forces a shutdown AFAIK. The actual components themselves can take up to 130-140 without malfunctioning).

No Events found!