Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Y

4 Posts

September 18th, 2021 23:00

XPS 8940, power light flashing yellow 3, white 2

Hi, I bought a Dell XPS desktop around 5 months ago, and it's been running nicely since up until around a week ago, where the power light would sometimes flash yellow three times and white twice. I looked it up, and couldn't find any clear instructions about what was happening, and so I'm putting it through a reset and it's still doing it. Could someone tell me what this means and how I can solve it?

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

September 19th, 2021 01:00

It indicates PCI of Video card/chip failure 

Since it's 5 months old, warranty would cover it, you can try Removing power cable from Tower and holding the power button down for 30 seconds to release static charge and than powering it on again

If no go please remove the monitor from graphic card and plug it to the Motherboard, 

do not play with any internal components and call Dell warranty for Motherboard replacement. 

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

September 19th, 2021 04:00

@yarrumbak When posting a question about a PC it would help to post information about the model number and configuration (hard drives, graphics card, memory, etc.).

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 19th, 2021 05:00

@yarrumbak 

S5 VID 3, 2
3 blinks followed by a short pause, 2 blinks, long pause, then repeats

Video subsystem configuration activity in progress or video subsystem failure.

Troubleshoot, narrow down the issue by removing cards one by one to determine which card failed.

4 Posts

September 19th, 2021 06:00

Oh yeah, sorry. The specs are:

11th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-11700K processor
Windows 10 Home English
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3070™ 8GB GDDR6
16GB, 8Gx2, DDR4, 2933MHz
1TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD + 2TB SATA 7200RPM HDD

If you need anymore, it's just the more expensive dell xps desktop,

4 Posts

September 19th, 2021 06:00

Thanks, I'll check these out in the morning.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

September 19th, 2021 09:00

@yarrumbak Based on the spec, I assume your PC is an XPS 8940. According to the Service Manual, see page 73, a diagnostic light code (amber, white) of 3.2 indicates PCI of Video card/chip failure. You can as @speedstep suggested and remove the video card and connect your monitor to the integrated graphics, but as @XPS_Man suggests perhaps you should conduct Dell since your PC is still under warranty.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 19th, 2021 11:00

@yarrumbak   - Agree with @Vic384 since you should still be under warranty. Contact Dell Tech Support and let them fix it. Have your Service Tag available....

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 19th, 2021 12:00

@yarrumbak 

Send Private Message PM to @DELL-Cares 

with your service tag and include the problem description.

Please press the blue Accept as Solution button below if this answers your question.

Warranty Status

Is your product covered under warranty? Check its warranty status and warranty expiration date here.

Ownership Transfer

Purchased a used Dell product or moved to another country? Transfer the ownership and/or warranty from one person to another or from one country to another.

Retail Registration

Purchased a Dell product at a retail store? Register your product to validate your limited hardware warranty and get more personalized support.

Service Contracts for Home

Find information on the agreement covering the maintenance and servicing of your Dell products.

Service Contracts for Business

Find information on the business agreement covering the maintenance and servicing of your Dell products.

Dell EMC Warranty and Contracts

Learn about your Dell EMC coverage, contract status, expirations and renewals.

Extend your warranty

Feel confident that your products are protected with the right level of support from Dell. Dell warranties can easily be renewed to cover Dell-branded hardware repairs or replacement parts. Learn more about warranty renewal options here.

Expired Warranty Hardware Support

Dell is here to help. Even after your warranty has expired, Dell can repair systems with a one-time hardware repair service. Find diagnostics tools, contact a service expert, or find one-time repair options here.

Warranty Parts Return

Learn how to return a failing part to Dell for warrantied Dell products. Helpful steps guide you through the parts return process here.

Warranty Return for Products

Learn how to return your warrantied Dell system to Dell for system servicing. Find steps to complete the system return process here.

Support Services for Home

The fast and easy place to get immediate support, support plans, services, warranty information and driver updates, plus other helpful links to resources to help you fix your PC yourself.

Support Services for Business

Where IT professionals can find Dell’s support services for servers, storage, networking, PCs and tablets – including the ProSupport suite. Learn about and download automated monitoring and case-management tools, SupportAssist and TechDirect.

September 20th, 2021 07:00

I too have a brand new XPS MT 8940 with same issue.  Waiting 2 weeks for "replacement" mother board!  I not happy, as I believe that the issue may have an issue with the underpowered PSU.  I wanted to upgrade to that at time of purchase, but they seemed to none available and build would have taken for ever.  Not a very happy Dell customer who has purchased well over 10 personal computers from dell over the years.  I hope that this is not going to be an ongoing issue. 

My Config:

• 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K processor (8-Core, 16M Cache, 3.6GHz to 5.0GHz)
    NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1660 SUPER(TM) 6GB GDDR6
    360W Night Sky Bezel Chassis including optical drive
    Windows 10 Home English
    16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2933Mhz
    512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive + 2TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
    I also have dual monitors set up. Both are HP monitors.

March 22nd, 2022 00:00

I've just had this issue and contacted Dell Support.

They did remote assist and performed a complete update of drivers and firmware (all as of this date, 22/03/2022).

After rebooting and a repower, everything has now settled to normal operation.

None of the comments above (or below, whatever) had the answer. This is the answer.

Dell provided great support and came to the party and fixed the problem.

All going 100% (the system was going 100%, just had the 3/2 LED issue).

You could do the update yourself, using the Dell Assistant in Windows.

I hope that helps.

March 22nd, 2022 21:00

Oh, I have to eat my words.. later the next day, the 3,2 pattern has returned.

Hmmm.. I've reported it to Dell, will wait to see what's next.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 23rd, 2022 10:00

Thanks for the update. Sorry the problem has returned. 

IIRC, somebody did get the motherboard replaced to fix the problem....

3 Posts

March 31st, 2022 09:00

I bought a brand new Dell XPS 8940 in 2021 that was delivered in September 2021. About 2 days after initial startup, the 3 amber/2 white code appeared. We went through all the remote troubleshooting with Dell when it was decided the graphics card needed replaced. A service tech replaced the graphics card. Two days later, the same code appeared. A service tech came out and replaced the motherboard and graphics card. A couple days later the same code appeared AGAIN. Dell decided to replace the motherboard again. The replacement motherboard was faulty and PC wouldn't boot correctly. It was decided that the PC needed to be sent to the service center to go through the entire PC. I reiterated all the issues that have happened since DAY ONE of the PC arriving, but that wasn't taken into consideration. They just replaced the motherboard again, booted it up once, and signed off. The PC was just returned last night, and I kid you not, I turned the PC on, restarted right away, and the same light code appeared again. I'm asking Dell for a brand new replacement PC.

3 Posts

April 6th, 2022 08:00

Update on this - Dell finally got back to me about a replacement. They want to send me a refurbished unit because it's "out of the window of replacement" even though I sent e-mails to the customer care team less than a month after initial delivery of the PC to get a new unit because the service tech recommended I do so after the first repair. The customer care team never responded after several e-mails reaching out to them in Oct 2021. I suspect they were trying to delay response so the unit would be out of the replacement window. This is enough for me to stop shopping with Dell.

1 Message

June 2nd, 2022 16:00

I'm getting the same error code as of 06/02/2022, and I purchased my 8940 back in December 2021.  The code went away when I plugged into the iGPU.  Did Dell ever get you sorted out?  I really don't want a refurb.

No Events found!