Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 15th, 2022 20:00

XPS 8950, GTX 1660 Ti, connect two monitors E2222H

XPS 8950

XPS 8950

My PC has a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti video card in it.  This card has 3 ports:  DisplayPort, HDMI, and DVI

I tried connecting the DisplayPort to one monitor and the HDMI to the other monitor.  The DisplayPort works.  The HDMI does not.  Windows says it does not detect a second monitor.  I also tried connecting the 2nd monitor to the DisplayPort on the motherboard.  This also does not work. 

If I connect the 2nd monitor to the DisplayPort on the GTX 1660 video card it works so it is not the monitor.  Both monitors are the same: Dell E2222H.

What am I doing wrong?

Fred

15 Posts

August 18th, 2022 11:00

I ordered the cable and tried it today.  It works.  That fixed the problem.

15 Posts

August 18th, 2022 13:00

Bad news.  It worked for a while.  After going into sleep mode the second monitor never woke up.  I tried rebooting the computer, turn the computer off and then on again and the monitor does not work again.  When I plugged the cable into my computer the first time it made a beep sound.  It does not do that any more.  Could the cable have died that soon?  It was working for a couple of hours.  Very frustrating!

14 Posts

August 18th, 2022 14:00

@MagnaFred as far as i know, most cable of displayport (monitor) cant got hdmi (computer), they only go from HDMI (monitor) to displayport  (computer/video card port), lot of amazon dealer say so....

how about just try one of this and see if you really got no choice

https://www.amazon.com/Moread-Gold-Plated-Projector-Chromebook-Raspberry/dp/B00SW9JI9A/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=vga+to+hdmi+adapter&qid=1660857426&sprefix=vga+to+%2Caps%2C183&sr=8-3

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

August 19th, 2022 22:00

one user confirms you can connect two monitors to video card and onboard DP ports by enabling Multi-Display in bios ver.1.5 (latest).  no video adapter needed.  this Multi-Display option is available deep inside Advanced menu.

Bios > Advanced > Power Options > Intel Multi-Display

20220819_193416.jpg

PS device manager > Display Adapters, is Intel UHD 770 listed?  If not, in device manager select view - show hidden devices.  If 770 came up but said it wasn't working correctly, uninstall 770 from device manager then hook up a second monitor to the integrated DP and restart the PC. It should work after that.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

August 20th, 2022 07:00

The last post in this thread has the second screenshot that shows the Intel Multi-Display setting in the BIOS: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8950-Intel-iGPU-disabled-after-BIOS-update/td-p/8253346/page/2

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

August 20th, 2022 10:00

Connecting to the Intel UHD 770 is not the limiting factor given that the OP's current monitors are two Dell E2222H. 

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

August 20th, 2022 10:00

If OP just wants to connect 8950 to two monitors that have DP only and not necessarily support gaming apps on both monitors, then using UHD 770 for one monitor and GTX 1660 ti for the other one seem to be the simplest set up.  otoh, if OP wants to do gaming on dual monitor, then using adapter to connect both monitors to 1660 Ti is the way to go.

PS UHD 770 vs GTX 1660 Ti

UHD 770

15 Posts

August 20th, 2022 19:00

I tried using a HDMI to VGA cable and that does not work.  Normally when I plug in the monitor cable the computer will beep.  It does not beep nor does the monitor find a VGA input.

15 Posts

The Nvidia control panel only shows one monitor and when I tried to force it, it says it cannot find a DP connection.

15 Posts

Found the option.

15 Posts

This did work for a while, several hours in fact.  But then I took a break for an hour or so and when I came back the monitors were in sleep mode.  When I woke them up only the primary monitor woke up.  The monitor with the active hdmi to dp cable did not wake up.  The monitor was on but could not find the DP input just like before with other cables.  I tried connecting one of my old monitors that had a DVI port and used a DVI to DVI cable and that works as the secondary monitor.  But this old monitor (Samsung) has a lower resolution than the Dell monitors.

15 Posts

My bios was refreshed and now I see the Multi-Display option.  I have enabled it but nothing has changed.  I am beginning to think the HDMI port on the graphics card is bad.  I know that the DP and DVI port on this graphics card work.  The DP port on the motherboard does not work.

5 Practitioner

• 

4.7K Posts

August 21st, 2022 23:00

Hello @MagnaFred ,  I think you had confirmed the original issue with the setup and got the correct type of cable for your second monitor.  If it stopped working, it could be a failed cable and you should return or exchange it.  Just make sure to get an active converter type cable (with or without the USB power).  I personally don't promote any specific product or brand, just the tech that works.

Many users have reported similar issues with their multi monitors setup failing to wake up from sleep or hibernation, from different platforms, models, including the use of thunderbolt docks.  Until you get a stable and proper working BIOS, I suggest to change the power options to High Performance (in Control Panel).

15 Posts

August 28th, 2022 10:00

Dell support had me reset the OS.  The reset option in the boot manager did not work but there was another way which did fix the problem.  Now the HDMI port works with the second monitor.

No Events found!