Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 16th, 2022 15:00

XPS 8950, graphics add-on

I just bought an 8950 only to find that it will not support 2560 x 1440 graphics that I need for my primary monitor. I use this system for spreadsheets etc., I am not a GAMER. Can anyone help me with an idea as to what I could add to improve the performance that I need? Or would I be better off to just return it and try something else?

Kent

21 Posts

February 17th, 2022 12:00

The latest. My Samsung looks almost like the picture above except there is only one of each. I stopped while I was out this morning and picked up a DP cable. I connected it directly to the PC and everything came up fine. Answers the question that the 8950 onboard graphics indeed does support 2560/1440. My next effort will be to buy a multi port DP device, install my current adapter and an hdmi cable to the second monitor. I am hoping that will solve this issue. 

24 Posts

February 19th, 2022 16:00

https://www.amazon.com/SAPLOS-Radeon-HD-6570-Computer/dp/B09P15T6PD/ref=pd_ybh_a_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HV246BQV6WPFVFRR0X63

I have decided to stick with an 8940 instead of going with an 8950.  The above card I bought today.  AMD does not support it past Windows 10. I doubt it will be an issue as native Windows drivers ought to work.  I am going to put this into my second forthcoming 8940 as I have two monitors with HDMI inputs. Yeah, I can use the onboard card and it will work find with one adapted to DisplayPort, but I’d rather not use adapters.  This was the cheapest solution I could find for a basic card allowing multiple inputs with one of those inputs not being a DVI or VGA input in addition to the other being either a DisplayPort or an  HDMI.

24 Posts

March 1st, 2022 16:00

Sorry for my delayed response.  I took a bit longer getting to this machine as I left it to set up last.

I am happy to report that the card works fine in Windows 11.  It was a plug and play experience much the same as yours with Windows 10.  I did download the AMD driver scanner and it did come back that this card is now considered legacy so there are no further beyond Windows 10 AMD driver software that will work with the card.  The Windows native drivers seem to be working fine and I notice no difference in display quality from the internal display adaptor.  I am glad to have a card that has dual HDMI inputs so that I no longer need to use the HDMI to display port adapter that I had been using even though it was working fine.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

February 16th, 2022 17:00

@merkelck I don't understand why your XPS 8950 should not support 2560 x 1440. Even if your CPU is an i3-12100, according to the specs of the integrated graphics, it can support 4096 x 2160 @ 60 Hz (HDMI). See the specs: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134584/intel-core-i312100-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-30-ghz.html

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 16th, 2022 17:00

@merkelck  - Do you only have onboard Intel Graphics which just has a single DisplayPort output on the XPS 8950 or do you also have an add-in video card?

Does your "primary" monitor support 2560 x 1440?

What's the "recommended" (AKA: "native" or "optimum") resolution for your secondary monitor, and where is it connected?

And if you have an add-in video card, is your "primary" monitor connected to that card, not to the onboard DP?

21 Posts

February 17th, 2022 06:00

I only have the onboard single DPort on the 8950. The specs for the intel 770 say the resolution is only 1920 by 1080. The Win10 says the same thing for the highest resolution. So I would like to buy an add on card. I just don't need a card that costs more than the computer. Right now I am using a single DP to hdmi adaptor. It works great with the secondary (1920/1080) . But I need better resolution on the bigger monitor.

Kent

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 17th, 2022 07:00

@merkelck wrote:

1. I only have the onboard single DisplayPort port on the XPS-8950.

2. The specs for the intel 770 say the resolution is only 1920 by 1080.

3. The Win10 says the same thing for the highest resolution.

1. That is fine. It will do  2560 x 1440 easy.

2. No

3. Once you connect a different monitor, those resolutions you see listed will change to match it.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 17th, 2022 08:00

Is this your Samsung SD850? If yes, it has a DP in port.

Capture.JPG

Why not connect directly without converting to HDMI?

XPS 8950 onboard DP out port --> DP to DP cable --> Samsung SD850 DP in port

21 Posts

February 17th, 2022 08:00

I tried connecting my Samsung SD850 to the computer using a DP adapter to HDMI. The secondary monitor was fine but when I moved that cable to the primary monitor the resolution remained at 1920/1080. 

I will try it all again later

Thank you

• 

25.1K Posts

February 17th, 2022 13:00

Hi There,

Thank you for the confirmation, we are glad to know your query is resolved, do revert in case of any other queries or concerns.

Regards,

Paventhan M

21 Posts

February 18th, 2022 20:00

Here is the latest in my monitor adventure. I purchased a "Cable Matters mini display port MST hub with triple output". I powered it from an unused usb port on the back. Then attached the input cable to the DP port on the 8950. I then connected the primary monitor to output 1 and a DP to hdmi adaptor to output 2. After making the correct settings in the Win10 settings, I started to get a mess on the primary monitor. The secondary monitor never wavered. The mess on the primary would come and go. I reseated all the connectors go no avail. This is not a steady thing but rather flashes on/off. Sometimes it will be good for several minutes but then starts again. The system specifies which output connector goes to which resolution monitor. I think I have a correct but will put more time into it later. 

VID_20220218_202125522_exported_6177.jpg

24 Posts

February 18th, 2022 20:00

Is it just me, or does it seem a bit counterintuitive that there is only one output on the MB for the integrated GPU on the 8950 as opposed to duals on the 8940 and 8930?  This may be the design of this new chipset by Intel and not a Dell thing, but either way it sure seems like a step backwards.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 19th, 2022 11:00

@srpawski  - I guess the logic is most users will order the XPS 8950 with an add-in video card. So in most cases, an onboard Intel Graphics port(s) is never used.

The XPS 8950 has a Dual-Mode DisplayPort 1.4 port for Intel Graphics so it works either directly with a DP monitor or via an inexpensive "passive" DP(PC)>HDMI(monitor) adapter plug with an HDMI monitor. So you don't need a separate onboard HDMI port.

But, if you want to use multiple monitors with the onboard Intel DP, you will need a DP hub...

21 Posts

February 19th, 2022 15:00

I tried two different hubs. The first was the DP to three hdmi outputs. The monitors all worked but not the way I wanted. The secondary monitor is an HP24" with only hdmi input that I had set to 1920/1080.

The primary monitor is a Samsung S32D850 and with hdmi input it would only run on the same resolution.

Then I tried a DP to three DP outputs using a DP to hdmi adapter to the second monitor which worked fine. I connected one of the outputs to the primary monitor and it worked fine as well. However, it started losing sync which rendered it useless. It would work for a few minutes and then go crazy. So I am back to a single monitor situation. My six year old Acer ran these two monitors fine but with a separate VGA cable to the secondary and an hdmi to the primary. 

I am now searching for an add on card that provides multiple outputs for the monitors. I'm just not willing to pay for a display card that costs more than the computer. Any suggestions?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 19th, 2022 17:00

@merkelck  - Is each monitor set for its own "recommended" (aka: "native" or "optimum") resolution? Did you go to the Windows Display screen and click the Detect button to use multiple monitors ?

Is the Multi-Display option enabled or disabled in BIOS setup?

How is the Primary Display option set in BIOS setup?

You need to know the wattage of the PSU in your PC, which is either 460W or 750W. And when looking at GPU cards, check to see what size PSU is recommended for any specific card you may want.

And, obviously, it should support the number of monitors you need and have the right combination of output ports for those monitors.

No Events found!