Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 27th, 2023 01:00

XPS 8950, rear panel USB port options

I have had my Dell XPS 8950 about a week or so and have a problem of which USB ports to use.

I have three external drives and a keyboard which require USB connections.

I had both USB 3.2 and both 2.0 ports being used for all four devices. Today I got an error message telling me the device in the bottom left USB 2 port wasn't recognized so moved that device to next USB 2 port and is working okay.

But when I try to plug in another drive, it doesn't recognize it and if I try the keyboard it lights up but fails to see any typing and I then get the same error message.

Is there a fault with the port, I thought the USB 2 ports were just linked together?

Can someone explain what is meant by smart power and power share?

Which ports should I use, never had to think about this in older PCs?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

January 28th, 2023 04:00

@Richchad I would leave USB PowerShare disabled if don't need the USB ports to be powered when the PC is off, for example, if you have an external USB drive connected permanently to a USB port. I have encountered this situation where it seems that the USB port has shut down and only rebooting or powering off the system will restore it. I think that happens if a USB device connected to the port draws too much power. The solution I found that seems to work is to use a powered USB hub and not depend upon power from the PC's USB port. I think an external powered USB hub has the added benefit of protecting the PC's USB port from damage. 

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

January 27th, 2023 04:00

@Richchad USB PowerShare means that the USB port can still supply power even if the PC is off. This can be used to charge cell phones, etc. 

As for which USB ports to use, see the Setup and Specifications description of the ports and try disabling Deep Sleep in the BIOS because it is possible that the port is not supplying power if Deep Sleep is enabled.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

January 27th, 2023 05:00

@Richchad Perhaps the first USB port has failed. When convenient power down the PC, then turn on the PC and try the first USB port again. Try something in the first USB port that does not draw much power, like a keyboard or mouse.

38 Posts

January 27th, 2023 05:00

@Vic384thanks for your reply, I will try disabling deep sleep as apparently it is on by default, can't do it just yet as running some stuff.

I don't understand why the drive was backing up several files okay when it just lost connection and is now working okay connected to the other USB 2 port but nothing can be recognised by windows in the first USB 2 port?

I could do with more USB ports on the rear panel TBH, maybe I could use a USB to USB C adapter to make use of the single USB C port.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 27th, 2023 11:00

It sounds like you're exceeding the power output limits of the UBS2 ports with the 4th device. You should only plug keyboard and mouse into USB2 ports on rear of the PC. And that doesn't even consider that USB2 ports have much slower data transfer speeds than USB3 ports which your USB3 devices can handle.

If necessary, you could install a PCI-e x4 USB3.x card that also has a direct power connection from the PSU. But, look around this forum to see if anyone has posted which x4 USB3.x cards work in this model, because some may not work.

Or take the easy route and get an external USB3x hub with its own power adapter and use that for one or more of the USB3 devices.

38 Posts

January 27th, 2023 12:00

@RoHeyeah you maybe right, I am going to try a reboot, as suggested by Vic384, tomorrow (cant do it yet as middle of backing stuff up) and see if keyboard works in the USB2 port again.

If not may try disabling Deep Sleep in the BIOS.

Dell say "Connect devices such as external storage devices and printers. Provides data transfer speeds up to 480 Mbps under USB2 Ports and the same with USB3 but up to 5 Gbps.

Which is all I was doing really, anyway will have a play tomorrow.

January 27th, 2023 12:00

I purchased this powered USB hub from Amazon and it is working perfectly with my new 8950.  There is also a 4-port version, but I figured with 7 ports I'd never need to worry about running out of USB ports.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G8CMR18

usb.jpg

38 Posts

January 27th, 2023 23:00

@Vic384Okay did a reboot this morning and the USB2 port is working again so not sure what happened there, maybe it cuts off if power usage too much, I have only plugged a keyboard in so will keep it like that.

I have looked at the Bios and it says USB Powershare in S4/S5 State - Disabled (See Photo)

Should I actually disable Deep Sleep Control if it seems to be working okay at the moment?20230128_073818.jpg

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 28th, 2023 18:00

@Richchad  - Just get a USB hub and be done with it...

38 Posts

January 30th, 2023 00:00

@Vic384 @RoHe @johnblaustein  Thanks all for your help, I have bought a powered USB hub as everyone suggested so hopefully won't have anymore problems with USB ports.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 30th, 2023 12:00

@Richchad  Simple/easy is always the best solution!

No Events found!