Start a Conversation

Unsolved

O

11 Posts

September 12th, 2018 13:00

XPS One 2710, reboots after shutdown

XPS 27 has starting rebooting immediately after shutdown. I suspected it might be Windows 10 but not sure. Have turned "fast restart"; turned off "reboot after crash"; turned off PC sleep options in power management.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 12th, 2018 13:00

Not sure what specific model a "XPS 27" is exactly.

Sounds like it might be crashing on Shut-Down.

What shows in Windows Reliability Monitor report? Any red Critical errors?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 14th, 2018 06:00

Which specific XPS 27? (XPS 27-7760, XPS One 2720, XPS One 2710)

Before the issue appeared, how long had you been using it?

Did the issue appear right after running Windows updates?

11 Posts

October 2nd, 2018 07:00

Sorry, just seeing this response. XPS One 2710. This problem is widely reported on Microsoft Windows 10 support forums, and on Dell as well. The suggestions about turning off fast restart, power management, turning off settings for drivers etc. that allow them to reboot system seem to have no effect. Updating BIOS didn't seem to fix it. Various suggestions to run various diagnostics .. no help. Interestingly, one comment about holding down the SHIFT KEY during shutdown seems to help (for the time being .. sometimes the problem goes away shortly only to reappear).

My gut tells me this is tied to one of several possible things: the hideous Windows 10 updates; the BIOS updates related to closing vulnerabilities that were discovered in the Intel chips.

11 Posts

@Tesla1856 wrote:

Not sure what specific model a "XPS 27" is exactly.

Sounds like it might be crashing on Shut-Down.

What shows in Windows Reliability Monitor report? Any red Critical errors?

I have run system diagnostics (F12) repeatedly w/ no problems found. I have run every possible Windows 10 troubleshooter with no problems found; well actually I does report the Windows 10 Update DB is corrupted, then fixes it.

11 Posts

crashing on shutdown .. I don't think so, and I have tried, as one of the suggested solutions, to disable reboot on crashes. That did not help.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 2nd, 2018 08:00

Agreed, not a hardware issue. The out of warranty 2012 XPS One 2710 was never validated with Windows 10. How long have you been running Windows 10 without issues? It sounds like you installed the June 2018 BIOS A14 which addressed Intel Security Advisory INTEL-SA-00115 (CVE-2018-3639 & CVE-2018-3640)? Was that just prior to the issue?

11 Posts

October 2nd, 2018 10:00

@odennehy wrote:

XPS 27 has starting rebooting immediately after shutdown. I suspected it might be Windows 10 but not sure. Have turned "fast restart"; turned off "reboot after crash"; turned off PC sleep options in power management.

I have finally found a solution (in another thread in this user forum) that thus far (fingers crossed) is working for me: hold down SHIFT-KEY, then SHUTDOWN. Just importantly it EXPLAINS what the root cause of the problem is, or at least where the bug(s) causing this reside.

Windows 10 when it does a (regular) shutdown, doesn't really do a FULL shutdown. It keeps part of the kernel going for faster startup. There is some bug such that, for some systems, when this hibernating type shutdown occurs, the system immediately reboots.

One of the many proposed fixes for systems that are rebooting after shutdown is to disable "fast startup" which in theory should cause the system to do a full shutdown. BUT as my screen shot shows, some other bug is causing the system to NOT do a FULL SHUTDOWN even when you deselect fast startup.

So what others have reported, and is working for me thus far (fingers crossed) is to force a FULL SHUTDOWN by holding down the SHIFT-KEY, then do a SHUTDOWN.

screenshot.jpg

11 Posts

October 5th, 2018 17:00

@DELL-Chris M wrote:

Agreed, not a hardware issue. The out of warranty 2012 XPS One 2710 was never validated with Windows 10. How long have you been running Windows 10 without issues? It sounds like you installed the June 2018 BIOS A14 which addressed Intel Security Advisory INTEL-SA-00115 (CVE-2018-3639 & CVE-2018-3640)? Was that just prior to the issue?

This system was purchased in July 2017, and shipped w/ Windows 10 installed (not sure what the 2012 reference is about?) It ran fine until it didn't which unfortunately I don't remember when. This problem is reported over and over and over and over. And reports of this problem pre-date the BIOS updates to circumvent the security issues in the Intel chip. I think nearly all the reports of this are on DELL machines. The only think -- of the vast number of remedies on this and other forums, which seem to work for some, not for others -- is to reinstall Windows or some similarly drastic measure. I currently have a usable machine and am not willing to take the risk of hosing it further. I have a power switch. But I really feel for people w/ this issue on laptops.

11 Posts

October 5th, 2018 17:00

Well, as feared, this solution works sometimes, and sometimes not, so suspect it hasn't addressed the problem. Thank god for power switches! Microsoft you have some major quality control issues my friends.

No Events found!