Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 11th, 2020 01:00

XPS One 2720, Power-up issue

Hi Guys,

I have an XPS 2720 all-in-one desktop which is just over 4 yrs old. Just recently it seems to have a power-up problem. When the power button is pushed in the morning the cd drive lights come on for a couple of seconds and then go off as normal. The Dell logo appears on a black screen and then nothing else happens. The drive activity light remains on and does not flash as the machine boots, nor does the circle of dots appear. So I have to switch it off, wait a minute or so and then push the power on button. Then it powers up and boots normally as if nothing had previously happened. This happens evry time the machine is switched on from 'cold'.

Any ideas please??

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

July 11th, 2020 09:00

If you are running Windows 10, try turning off Fast Startup (All settings / Power & sleep / click on the 'Additional power settings' link / click on 'Choose what the power buttons do' / then uncheck 'Turn on fast startup' under 'Shutdown settings'

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

July 12th, 2020 13:00

Fast Startup is a Windows 10 feature that applies to both desktops and laptops. The feature is supposed to speed up the loading of Windows at startup especially if the system has a hard disk boot drive. The benefit, if the system has an SSD boot drive, is much less.  Here is an article about Fast Startup: https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

5 Posts

August 1st, 2020 00:00

Thanks, disabling fast startup did indeed sort out my problem.

Kind of a weird one, but happy that it got my machine working normally again.

3 Posts

July 12th, 2020 06:00

Thanks for your suggestion. Does this apply to desktop all-in-ones - I'm not very teccy but it seems that your suggestion would be for laptops only.

5 Posts

July 22nd, 2020 00:00

I have the exact same problem on my 2720, it just doesn't boot at first try - it's been happening for a couple of months. I have to power it on, then kill the power and then it boots up on the next attempt. I haven't been able to try the fast start up tip yet, but still interesting to know if this is a windows issue that would be fixed by updates or if there is a hardware problem. it did feel like this issue started with some windows update.
A similar issue is also happening on my work computer but it does eventually boot up after a while, again after the same set of windows updates.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

July 22nd, 2020 05:00

The Fast Startup issues have been around for a while. See this article from 3 years ago: https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 22nd, 2020 10:00

And Microsoft posted a recent updated statement about issues with Fast Start in Win 10 and Windows updates, for your reading enjoyment.

3 Posts

July 22nd, 2020 21:00

Hi, thanks for your message. I also think it's an update issue. Everything was ok until a couple of months ago, then after an update the problem started. Do you have to restart your work machine twice or do you just leave it to boot up in it's own time?

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

July 23rd, 2020 06:00

@Doodle01 wrote, "Do you have to restart your work machine twice or do you just leave it to boot up in it's own time?" I have Fast Startup turned off because of the issue you described and in addition, I have an SSD so Fast Startup is not much of a benefit. Since I have turned off Fast Startup I have never had to boot up twice.

No Events found!