Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

D

1 Message

April 22nd, 2018 17:00

XPS One 2720 Touch, ghostly bubbles flashing, mouse moving erratically

I have a Dell One XPS 2720 I purchased about 3 years ago. I paid almost $1,700 for the system that I am about to throw out after trying everything I can do resolve an ongoing problem. I have these strange ghostly bubbles mostly around the perimeter of the desktop screen and the mouse cursor constantly bounces around the screen making the system to become inoperable. I upgraded to Windows 10 and don't recall it happening right away, but it could be the problem. I have tried everything to diagnose and fix the problem. I have run every Windows and Dell system diagnostics through SupportAssist and everything including drivers are current and nothing is detected. I also ran the full diagnostics through the system Bios, and that checked out fine.

This apparently is a big problem for many users that have touchscreen systems. I have read several posts online indicating this has something to do with Windows 10 and Touchscreen computers and laptops. Forums suggest disabling the touchscreen under Device Manager/Human interface, which I have done. This still didn't fix the problem. Can anyone help before I throw out this Dell?

Thank you for any assistance!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 22nd, 2018 19:00

1. Are these "bubbles" a video image of some kind * OR * a LCD panel defect (like mold or something).

2. Are these "bubbles" the same ones you see when you touch the screen on purpose?

July 9th, 2018 05:00

I have the exact same problem.  The "ghostly bubbles" is an excellent explanation.  These dots just pop on the screen randomly, appear almost like raindrops hitting water.  They seem to activate shortcuts as well.  They use so many cycles that it interrupts any attempt to use the mouse or keyboard.  I had the problem once in the past and replacing the batteries in the keyboard and mouse seemed to fix it.  Now however, months later I have the same issue.  I replaced the batteries and that fixed it for 48 hours, but woke up this morning to find the issue has returned.  I run through all diagnostics, but everything checks out fine.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 9th, 2018 13:00

@rsullivan53 wrote:

I have the exact same problem.  The "ghostly bubbles" is an excellent explanation.  These dots just pop on the screen randomly, appear almost like raindrops hitting water.  They seem to activate shortcuts as well.  They use so many cycles that it interrupts any attempt to use the mouse or keyboard.  I had the problem once in the past and replacing the batteries in the keyboard and mouse seemed to fix it.  Now however, months later I have the same issue.  I replaced the batteries and that fixed it for 48 hours, but woke up this morning to find the issue has returned.  I run through all diagnostics, but everything checks out fine.

As I tried to explain to Dan above ...

Sounds like something is activating the TouchScreen, or the touch-screen is malfunctioning.

Normally, a touch-screen is just "another layer" bound to the front-of or on-top-of the LCD-Panel.  

July 9th, 2018 16:00

I found I could "eventually" get to device manager and disable HID-compliant touch screen.  Instantly corrected access, but of course no touch screen for now.  I looked for a KB update, but it was non-existent on my Windows 10, 1803 OS Build 17134112.  Not sure where to go from here.  I still have it under warranty so maybe I will give them a call this weekend.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 9th, 2018 18:00

@rsullivan53 wrote:

1. I found I could "eventually" get to device manager and disable HID-compliant touch screen. 

2. I still have it under warranty so maybe I will give them a call this weekend.

1. Right, Good work.

2. I would ... use the warranty you paid for.

1 Message

November 1st, 2018 06:00

Hi there,

Experiencing the exact same issue on Dell Inspiron 2350.

Ghostly bubbles appearing on right hand side of screen. When this happens mouse also moves erratically.

Only way to temporarily resolve it is to change to a lower resolution or reboot the PC.

The issue will come back again though.

Did you ever get any luck in a permanent fix?

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 1st, 2018 10:00

Have any of you tried just disabling "Show visual feedback when I touch the screen" ?
In Win 10, Start Menu > Settings > Ease of Access > Other options

And/or gently wiped the screen with a LCD cleaning wipe, in case this is a problem with static electricity?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 1st, 2018 10:00

@CC IT wrote:

1. Experiencing the exact same issue on Dell Inspiron 2350.

2. Ghostly bubbles appearing on right hand side of screen. When this happens mouse also moves erratically.

Only way to temporarily resolve it is to change to a lower resolution or reboot the PC.

1. That does not appear to be a valid model

2. Sounds like a hardware problem with TouchScreen panel. Maybe try disabling the TouchScreen device from Device-Manager.

April 18th, 2019 05:00

This problem with the ghostly bubbles and erratic mouse seems to have been a problem with Dell computers for years as I am recently learning. My computer is still under warranty. I have worked with several technicians from Dell this week. I was on the phone one day for two hours, and the next for six and one-half but with no avail. I continue to be passed from one to another. Actually one of the technicians told me to call back in four days! I am wondering if they will continue this until my warranty runs out in a few months. On line, there are many suggestions on how to repair the issue, but it seems that they are only temporary fixes. I am Dissappointed with Dell.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 18th, 2019 10:00

@Deeply PerplexedThe OP stated his mouse cursor bounced around the screen.  Have you tried reinstalling the driver for the Mouse?

The 2720 does not have a TouchPad so if your system does, perhaps a driver for that or make sure something is not touching the touchpad which could cause strange visual symptoms.

My 2720 has never done what was described in the original post.

May 15th, 2019 19:00

Thank  you for the suggestion. I will try it.

May 15th, 2019 19:00

I have spent fourteen hours on the telephone with Dell technicians. They have removed my original Windows 10 and downloaded another one. They have gained control of my computer twice. They have run test after test.The ghostly bubbles and the erratic mouse continue. Today I spoke with numerous Dell employees. The first one told me that it isn't a hardware problem but a software problem and that they would have to charge me if I wanted them to repair it although I still have ninety-three days warranremaining on my warranty. Then she asked me if I had the receipt showing that I had purchased the warranty. At this point, I asked for a refund because after fourteen hours on the phone with them, they had not repaired my computer and I wanted a refund on the warranty so that I could use the money that I had paid for the warranty to hire a local technician. She gave me a number for customer sservice. Customer service had me call the warranty department. Warranty had me call customer service. Each person that I talked to asked me to confirrm my name, the pronunciation of my name, my address, phone number, service tag....I truly think that they want to pass me off from one person to another until I get so tired of it that I will give up and buy a new computer.  Anyway, after speaking to a variety of people today, I was finally told that they would send a box for me to return my laptop back for repair. An acquaintance who works with a computer company said that I should contact Costco because Costco has much more clout that I do. I am truly dissappointed with Dell. I have googled this issue and have learned that it has occurred on Dell computers for years.

1 Message

June 20th, 2019 08:00

Just had mine fixed by Dell...code 10 issue which has been for many years....now this....

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 20th, 2019 09:00

Visual Artifacts are usually overheating GPU.

If GPU is integrated into the CPU then the overheating part is one and the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgKMexMwCGk

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

June 20th, 2019 09:00

Hi Steve32060,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.  While I'm not familiar with a Code 10 on this particular model, I'd be happy to see what I can do to assist you.

If the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number and or express service code in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

No Events found!