Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

4 Posts

February 2nd, 2019 22:00

XPS One 2720, bios update hanging (updating ME)

I have a Dell XPS 2720.  This evening, I went to the Dell Support website to update my drivers. Among the recommended updates was a BIOS update (to version A15, believe).

I downloaded the update and proceeded to upgrade the bios.

There is currently a dialog box open titled "Update BIOS." It says "update ME. Please DO NOT POWER OFF." Beneath that, it says "updating ME now, please wait." The progress bar shows 100%. 

Beneath that, it says:

ME Version
Current version: 9.0.20.1447
New Version: 9.1.30.1008

There are options to UPDATE and QUIT, but both are greyed out.

This dialog box has been open for over an hour. I suspect it is hanging. What should I do?:
-Reboot the computer?
-Rerun the BIOS update file (XPS_2720_A15.exe)?
-Other course of action?

The computer is running Win 10 home.

Incidentally, before this dialog box displayed, I believe there was a dialog box that said "updating BIOS," which showed 100% progress before switching to the "update ME" dialog box. I cannot be certain, however.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 3rd, 2019 05:00

I haven't done that Bios update on my system.  I would be hesitant about shutting the system down and maybe a Dell person will give you some guidance.  The link at the bottom is about recovering the Bios, just in case you may need it, assuming it would even help for this system.

The firmware versions you indicate I do not see on my system related to the Intel Management Engine, but those are drivers and not firmware updates.

For now, if you have any external devices, I might unplug them.

I may try the update after I finish my Taxes for this year since this is my primary work computer.

Bios Problems

4 Posts

February 3rd, 2019 05:00

@Saltgrass thank you for the link.

This morning I decided to reboot the system, which I did successfully. I have used it for about an hour normally.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 4th, 2019 11:00

Glad you got it running again.

Now back up all your personal files on external media ASAP.  You might not be so lucky the next time.  :Wink:

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 5th, 2019 06:00

I updated my system and it finished normally.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 5th, 2019 11:00

@Saltgrass wrote:

I updated my system and it finished normally.

My comment was directed at HWMNBN because he lucked out and the PC still works after the forced reboot.

But it's equally applicable to everyone to back up personal files on external media regularly. :Wink:

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 5th, 2019 13:00

My comment was directed at HWMNBN because he lucked out and the PC still works after the forced reboot.

Funny, my comment was also meant for HWMNBN ... When I respond to someone other than the OP, I identify that poster.  Dell's site does not identify when you reply to a specific post.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 5th, 2019 17:00

@Saltgrass wrote:

Funny, my comment was also meant for HWMNBN ... When I respond to someone other than the OP, I identify that poster.  Dell's site does not identify when you reply to a specific post.

You can always quote the message you're replying to or just insert an @ and select the user's name from the drop-down list that you're responding to. That inserts a link into your post and notifies that user they've been "mentioned" in a thread.

No Events found!