Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

March 6th, 2018 16:00

XPS One 2720, use as standalone external monitor?

I have this same question for my XPS 2720. I am able to use the 2720 to display my other computer (XPS 8920), but I am interested in bypassing the 2720 operating system altogether and just use it as a monitor. The reason is that the 2720 fans are INCREDIBLY loud and always running at full speed even when I am just using it to display another computer. The fans actually seem to get louder when I use it to display another computer using OSD.
Is there a way to use the 2720 as just a display with no OS booting (short of ripping-out/hacking hardware somehow) ?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 7th, 2018 03:00

Based on what Chris (Dell) stated it does not appear to be an option on the all-in-ones.  

The all-in-ones are basically a laptop with a bigger desktop type screen.

1 Message

December 4th, 2018 13:00

I recently acquired an XPS 2720, and it has a defunct motherboard - so the computer won't boot up at all. However, I am able to use it as an external monitor through an HDMI input. The sound does not appear to work but the picture is fine. One problem though is that the fans - all three of them - still continue to turn. So your issue is not resolved!

1 Message

May 18th, 2019 12:00

YOu can do that that means with one these that work it would be a great fix for a older gaming tower seeing as windows 10 can not support 16 bit   windows 95 / 2000 software 

1 Message

December 27th, 2019 15:00

Same here (or rather, Dell never bothered to get Windows 10 to work on it). Do you think it would be safe to just yank out/disconnet the whole motherboard and/or the fans?

No Events found!