Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

February 4th, 2021 08:00

2 external vs single ultrawide display

We have mostly XPS-13 laptops (9380 and up) in our office. Most users use 2 external monitors via the Dell docking (WD-19) and that works fine. A few folks have enquired about using a single ultrawide monitor. I see the native resolution on these under $1K price point are 3440 x 1440 such as Dell 34 Curved USB-C Monitor – P3421W. Curious how these work in practice? Will the XPS-13's video out handle 3440 x 1440, it was hard to find this in the specs? One of the advantages of two monitors is how you can maximize applications on either monitor keeping inside the boundary of the monitor, how does this work on a single monitor, can you divide the screen somehow? If yes is this built in to Windows 10 or is this a Dell utility? Also two monitors at 1920x1080 does seem like more real-estate than a single 3440 x 1440, so will folks be happy? Thanks for any advice.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

February 4th, 2021 08:00

@bob_m10  Good questions to be asking when users are asking about this, since this is possibly a situation where you can end up giving users what they asked for, but not really what they wanted.  I'll address the questions below though:

The WD19 when paired with the XPS 13 9380 would have access to half of a DisplayPort 1.2 interface worth of bandwidth.  Dell's documentation says this is enough to run a single display up to 2560x1440 or 4K but only at 30 Hz rather than the standard 60 Hz.  Ultrawide resolutions aren't accounted for in Dell's documentation, and 3440x1440 falls between those resolutions.  So looking at the math, 2560x1440 requires 5.6 Gbps of bandwidth.  3440x1440 is 34% more pixel area, so it should require about 7.5 Gbps of bandwidth.  Half of a DP 1.2 interface, which is what the WD19 will have available from an XPS 13 9380, offers 8.6 Gbps of usable bandwidth.  So the math says it will work.  But just to be clear, I have not actually tested that.  If it doesn't, you'd need to get a Thunderbolt 3 dock like the WD19TB, which when paired with your system would tap into 4x more bandwidth than the regular WD19.  But yes, the Intel GPU itself definitely supports 3440x1440 resolution because it supports displays up to 4K.

In terms of maximizing windows, you're exactly right, and that's a big reason I prefer two separate displays.  (Another is because that allows a lot more freedom in terms of how you physically arrange the displays, i.e. having them in a V arrangement or having one "dead-on" while another is angled inward toward you.  An ultrawide doesn't allow that.)  I greatly prefer being able to quickly maximize two applications on two separate displays, or to use Windows Aero Snap to quickly put 4 applications up, each taking up half of one display.  I also find that having separate displays helps me mentally compartmentalize.  Ultrawides aren't as useful there.  Dell has a utility called Dell Display Manager that can be used to carve up ANY display in a variety of ways to help with this, but I've never used it.  But shortcuts like Aero Snap such as WinKey+Left/Right to quickly resize an application window to occupy the left or right half of your display become less useful.  The main use cases I see for ultrawides are scenarios where having one huge interrupted canvas really is a benefit, such as video editing where you have long timelines or of course gaming.

In terms of pixel area, dual 1080p is actually less total workspace.  1920x1080x2 = 4,147,200 pixels.  3440x1440x1 = 4,953,600 pixels.  So the ultrawide gives you almost 20% more total space.  But whether that space amounts to more utility is a separate question.  The ultrawide gives you more vertical real estate (1440 pixels vs 1080), but less horizontal real estate (3440 vs. 3840 total).  Stated differently, dual 1080p results in a total aspect ratio of 32:9, whereas the ultrawide is 21:9.

The ultimate ultrawide in my opinion is a 32:9 aspect ratio display, such as the Dell U4919DW.  That is a 5120x1440 display, so it is two 27" 2560x1440 displays fused together as a single canvas.  Some people use that display to display two completely different PCs side-by-side, since in that case each source system gets a 27" 1440p display to itself.  But that display is of course quite a bit larger and more expensive than what you're looking at, and you would definitely need a Thunderbolt 3 dock to run it.  But if you had it, the XPS 13 9380 would run it.

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

February 4th, 2021 09:00

@jphughan thanks so much for the awesome detail here.   Just what I was looking for and correct about  more Total workspace with the 3440x1440 monitor. Although as you indicated width will be less and that was what I was focusing on since vertical looked ok.   

Interesting about needing the WD 19TB dock although those are more expensive as well.  I suppose the user could hook their laptop up directly but then again that defeats the purpose of using a docking station.  Seems like 2 monitors is a cost effective solution for general business needs where something like video editing or gaming is not required.    Thanks  again!!

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

February 4th, 2021 10:00

@bob_m10  Glad to help!  To be clear though, it looks like 3440x1440 would actually work through a regular WD19.  I'm not sure, but the math looks promising.  I'd still start with one display to test though.  The display I said that would definitely require the TB is the 5120x1440 display.

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

February 4th, 2021 11:00

@jphughan  Ok I misread your answer.  Curious, why do you say the XPS 13 9380 would have access to half of a DisplayPort 1.2 interface?  Was that in the documentation somewhere?  Thanks   

No Events found!