Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 22nd, 2020 05:00

2020 XPS 9300 - Blue screen on boot

Following some updates yesterday, my computer refuses to boot now.

Lots of diagnostics later and I realise that if I disable audio in the BIOS, I can get my XPS 9300 to boot.

So now, how do I figure out what to uninstall/disable/change in order to be able to turn audio back on in the BIOS?

Thanks

September 22nd, 2020 09:00

To anybody suffering the same issue as me, here is my solution...

1. Disable Audio in the BIOS (F2 when booting will get you there)

2. Uninstall Realtek Audio Driver, and I suggest that you set that MaxxAudio thing to not startup automatically either.

3. Re-enable Audio in the BIOS

4. In Device Manager, manually choose the drivers (choose Intel for one and Realtek for the other - the realtek one you have to choose the let Windows find for me). DO NOT just reinstall the Realtek ones from Dell's provided files as the problem will recur.

5. Reboot to make sure all is well.

6. Look in Windows Update and notice these entries which you must not install as they will cause the Blue Screen to recur:  Realtek - SoftwareComponent - 11.0.6000.779 and Realtek - SoftwareComponent - 1.0.0.259.  Note that down so you don't get carried away and install them next week

I tried a few other things like downgrading the Realtek driver using the Dell supplied ones, but it isn't the right approach as something sticks around and causes you pain.

In short, the problem is caused by Updates, so you want to be avoiding those until you are confident that Dell has got this sorted out with Realtek or whomever.

• 

25.1K Posts

September 22nd, 2020 05:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

September 22nd, 2020 08:00

Dell just told me that because I had upgraded to Pro a few months back through the Windows Store, they would not support my laptop.

So there ya go folks.  I let you draw your own conclusions on that one.

No Events found!