Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

4 Posts

June 6th, 2020 03:00

Achieving colour parity

Background:

I've recently purchased a Dell XPS 15 7590. I'm a hobbyist photographer, I don't print my own images, they are mostly viewed on screen but I do send images to an online print company who request images in JPG sRGB format. I went for the Dell XPS because of the quality of the screens, I wanted the 4K touch version, I wasn't too fussed about colour gamut but felt the wide gamut was a nice addition and if I ever get more serious with my photography and want to hardware calibrate and print my own images it would serve me well.

The issue:

Out of the box with Premiercolor set to 'vibrant (full)': Colour in Abode Lightroom, Photoshop and Google Chrome (my browser of choice) look good and are similar to what I see on my Ipad Air 2 and Android phone (just at a lesser quality on those devices). MS Windows and ANY Microsoft app displays the colours grossly over-saturated, this includes desktop background, Photos app and Edge app.

With Premiercolor set to Internet (sRGB): Colour in Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop and Google Chrome look under-saturated and do not match what I see on my Ipad and phone. Windows and MS apps now look correct.

What I've done:

I understand (from limited understanding and reading) that Lightroom, Photoshop and apparently Google Chrome are colour managed whereas Windows and MS apps are not. If it wasn't for Google Chrome, I'd be happy to switch Premiercolor to Vibrant (full) when using LR & PS then back to Internet (sRGB) when done in those apps but I am not going to switch when using Chrome as I am in and out of that all the time, plus I'm sure I will come across other apps that look good with one setting and bad with the other. I understand Premiercolor has an app switching feature but in my testing it does not switch back to Internet (sRGB) when using Windows, you have to switch manually.

In my quest for colour parity, I came across a couple of threads talking about changing the Windows display profile to one of Premiercolor's sRGB profiles, unfortunately they did not go into much details as to the process but I thought I'd give it a go.

So I went into the Windows Colour Management app and added 'Premier Color sRGB 6500 SHP14B9_srgb_6500.icm', then went into Display Settings app and changed the colour profile to the new one and re-booted.

Now, when I set Premiercolor to Vibrant (full), everything including Windows, LR, PS and Chrome is way over-saturated but when I set it to Internet (sRGB) all apps display the colours correctly and match what I see on my Ipad and phone.

Question:

I'm happy with how the colours look now and that they are the same across all my apps but I'm concerned I've crippled my lovely new screen into the sRGB colour space, though LR, PS & Chrome look the same (to my eyes) as they did before on Vibrant (full) with the original Windows colour profile (14B9).

Have I gone about this the right way or is there a better way?

At some point I may get a hardware calibrator but I'm concerned I'll end up back with non-colour managed apps (Windows and MS apps) being over-saturated again.

• 

25K Posts

June 6th, 2020 03:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

2 Posts

January 18th, 2024 15:29

Hi, so was this the right way to deal with it?

Thanks

No Events found!