Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

4 Posts

March 18th, 2019 11:00

Battery replacement, bad readings?

Hey everyone,

Just a couple of days ago I replaced the old battery of my XPS 9560 with a new one. I charged it up normally and ever since I have been noticing some issues I hope you can help me figure out.

Yesterday, I was using the laptop as usual and before leaving for lunch I put it into Sleep mode (this was around 1 pm, the battery had ~55%-60% of power remaining if I remember correctly). I didn't use the laptop at all until around 5:30 pm. When I came back to it and pressed a key on the keyboard, the laptop turned on and then immediately entered into hibernation mode. When I tried turning it on again, the battery indicator turned solid amber (which means the battery was completely depleted if I'm right) so I charged it up again. Hours later, I booted into the BIOS and checked the battery health status. BIOS says it's excellent. Once the battery was fully charged again, I used the laptop for a bit and it had ~90% of charge left when I turned it off.

Today, as a test, I turned on the laptop and battery was still around 90%-85% (I don't really remember, I know it had roughly the same amount of charge left). I stopped using the computer for ~2 / ~2 1/2 hours. When I turned it on again, it had (according to Windows at least) ~60%-55% battery left... and then it suddenly dropped to 5% which made Windows enter into Battery Saver mode.

I booted into the BIOS and again it said battery health is excellent. Ran all diagnostic tests and no problems were found. I just installed the Dell Power Management app and just changed the battery settings to "Primarily AC Use" to hopefully help battery life.

IMG_20190318_130527.jpgIMG_20190318_130643.jpg

dell-power-management-battery-info.JPG

Anything else I should try / may have overlooked? Bad battery calibration maybe? Any other possible issue?

Thanks in advance for your help.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

March 18th, 2019 13:00

Thank you for your message. Did you replace the battery with an original OEM battery?

You can try the calibration but this being a Li-ion battery there is not much of difference you will find.

Maybe the DPM application is not collecting or displaying the right information from the system.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.   

How to locate the service tag

No Events found!