Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 8th, 2020 17:00

Bug: New XPS 13 9300 slow boot caused by intel INF errors

Hi,

I want to submit an issue to Dell that I believe is a driver/chipset INF issue that affects the 9300 lineup. I spoke with Intel on these issues and they confirmed that it will have to be dealt with by Dell.

The new XPS 13 (9300) takes about 50-60 seconds to boot Windows (while the dots are spinning). This issue persists even after reformatting/installing a fresh copy of Win10, installing/uninstalling all drivers, turning fastboot on/off, updating Bios to 1.0.7, etc.

It's likely the error is caused by thousands of driver errors, which is seen in the bootlog as:

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @cpu.inf,%intelppm.devicedesc%;Intel Processor

The bootlog is 2,940 lines long, mostly comprised of these messages. Every other Dell laptop (XPS lineup, but not this year's model) that I've checked has a bootlog that is only a couple of hundred lines long.

How can this be submitted to Dell for them to look at? It's likely a driver issue. I contacted support and the representative was absolutely useless at understanding what I was trying to ask...

Can submit the full bootlog if needed.

Thank you!

• 

25.1K Posts

July 24th, 2020 03:00

Hi,

Sorry, I did not understand your message. Could you rephrase?

3 Posts

July 24th, 2020 03:00

Sorry Autometic.

39 Posts

July 24th, 2020 06:00

As I understand from the description of the 'Auto' option, system bios decides which test will be completed durring the boot.
Also, as per your message,  a firmware and/or hardware issue preventing our machines to pass the test and boot quickly like yours.
This is the 13th page on this topic, so @DELL-Cares needs to share an official post/explanation about issue. do we need to request for a replacement for our units or is it a firmware issue? Time is counting, so local supports will refuse our replace request.
I will now share this issue and all details directly with MR. Michael DELL via a private email for a complete solution.

46 Posts

July 24th, 2020 11:00

I think all the references to "fast boot" refers to the Fast boot option within Windows. The preboot phase is quite quick, but then the actual loading of Windows is very slow (while the spinning dot is there). We've been able to get the fastboot down to ~20 seconds with some additional drivers posted earlier in this thread, but a regular cold boot/restart still takes anywhere from 45-120 seconds based on what others have been experiencing in this thread.

@DELL-Cares I'm not sure which post you were referring to, but please let me know if you have any questions about what we are experiencing. Some have said a bios update is coming soon that will fix this issue (as well as the USB type-c HDMI adapter problems). If you are able to confirm this for us, that would be wonderful! Thank you!

39 Posts

July 24th, 2020 11:00

Hello,

Unfortunately, restart or powering windows takes more than 50 seconds here everytime. What do you think, do I need to request for a replacement? Fast boot on Windows is disabled and on bios it set to 'auto'.

Thank you.

1 Message

July 24th, 2020 15:00

Ordered my XPS 9300 around a month ago... 

i7, 16GB, 512GB PC611 NVMe SK hynix 512GB

Standard build, not been re-imaged yet, all driver and firmware upto date.

Sleep wakeup time : instant

Cold boot time to windows login page : around 60 seconds

Purchased this laptop to replace my 10 year old XPS 14, which was finally getting a little long in the tooth, and it boots faster than this one but this one sooooo much more speedy at everything else... my trick so far, never turn it off

Interested to hear there is a new BIOS on the way, id not seen anything in the reviews about the reboot time issue, but the fans were noted a few times, that they spin up and dont spin back down, cant say im affected though.

39 Posts

July 24th, 2020 15:00

Hello,

Yes, I checked almost all reviews on Youtube and noone mentioned this issue, really interesting. Maybe Dell gifted testing unit to them or sent a fantastic device for review to prevent any possible negative thoughts
Looking forward for bios update for fix this issue and add function for FN+Left and right arrow keys to use as home/end.

• 

25.1K Posts

July 25th, 2020 21:00

Hi,

We haven't heard from you for a while now and we do not mean to rush you here.

If you are busy and need some other time to troubleshoot this further, then let us know, we will archive the case as of now and reopen it when you get back to us.

39 Posts

July 26th, 2020 06:00

Not understand above message, we are waiting update for this topic.

39 Posts

July 28th, 2020 04:00

Very excited, 3 days left to end of July and Bios update! Dell, please do not forget us!

4 Posts

July 28th, 2020 06:00

Hello, I’m interested to know about the new bios release date. You mentioned in 3 days for the release, is that official? 

I’m having similar issues with my new 9300: 60+ sec restart/boot, and the overall performance is choppy. 

Trying to decide if to wait and see if the new bios resolves these issues or I need to return the unit. 

Thanks

39 Posts

July 28th, 2020 07:00

Hello,

I red prior messages in this topic, some friends mentioned that they received information from L3 support about releasing new version before end of July.
Just wrote above message for bump the topic.

I'm waiting for the update for the same reason. If it is not solve my issue, I will return my product and never touch the Dell for the laptop computer. As a developer, I know that Boot time and assigning home/end to the left/right arrow keys issue can be solved by firmware update; but I really don't know they are reading our messages/thoughts. Moderator @DELL-Cares didn't write anything related about these topics.

Hope that get a good news for all soon.

1 Message

July 28th, 2020 14:00

I am an IT Manager for a company with 130+ employees. We have many desktop/laptops in use. Most of the laptops are lower end Dells but they all boot to windows in under 10 seconds. From inspiron to alienware, I've yet to see this issue. I definitely will not be providing any of these to our salesteam until this is resolved. Can we please get an open, transparent, and honest answer on this problem? When will the fix be ready?

July 29th, 2020 10:00

I just installed BIOS 1.1.0...so far it seems to boot much faster through the Dell logo screen

FYI, I did not install the Intel Management Engine Component listed by @Kyle Sh. 

46 Posts

July 29th, 2020 10:00

Alright guys.... the new bios has been posted! Time to install and see what happens. Fingers crossed.

No Events found!