Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

4 Posts

March 16th, 2019 14:00

Cable from NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 to 27 Ultrathin Monitor

Cable from NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 to DEll 27 Ultrathin Monitor S2719DC

I have just bought a Dell XPS 8930 with GTX 1080 and a DEll 27 Ultrathin Monitor but there was no cable supplied to connect the graphics card to the monitor. For the present I managed to buy an HDMI cable plugging from the monitor into the motherboard (an intel UHD Graphics 630, which is extremely weak in comparison to the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080)

Anyone know what cable/adaptor do I need to connect directly the GTX 1080 to the Monitor ?

(some sort of DVI-I to VGA adapter HDMI to VGA Adapter I believe but which one exactly?)

Many thanks in advance

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

March 18th, 2019 06:00

Thank you for your message. The monitor supports an HDMI & USB type C connector. The Graphics card you have supports HDMI.

You can use an HDMI cable or check out the Dell Universal docks.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

March 18th, 2019 07:00

The S2719DC has HDMI 2.0 and USB-C inputs.  What output connector types are available on your GTX 1080?  It should have at least one HDMI output, in which case you should be able to connect your HDMI cable to that.  Otherwise, if your 1080 has a DisplayPort output, you MIGHT be able to use a USB-C to DisplayPort cable, but those are meant to connect a USB-C port on a laptop to a DisplayPort input on a display, and I don't know if it will work in the other direction as would be needed here.

Regular DVI would not allow the display to work at its maximum resolution (and there's no point in a DVI-I to VGA adapter anyway because the display doesn't have DVI or VGA), and HDMI to VGA would not be useful either because VGA would not work at the display's maximum resolution and would look bad anyway because it is an analog signal.  You also can't use those types of adapters to send a VGA signal into an HDMI input; you can only send an HDMI signal into a VGA input if the conversion is done within the cable/adapter.

So again, look at the connector types available on the 1080.  I believe all recent NVIDIA cards have at least 1 HDMI output, but if not, let us know what's available.

March 18th, 2019 17:00

Hi Jphughan

you are right!

I realized about the presence of an HDMI port on my graphic card only later on this morning!

Would you be able to give me some tips advices links on how to calibrate that monitor now! The color is far too yellow and I can't get it right! Is anywhere where I should be able to find default settings for a Dell 27 Ultrathin Monitor running a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080!

Many thanks again

nerosunero

March 18th, 2019 17:00

Thanks! that's correct! I realised it only this morning! Many thanks Would you be in the position to address me to right page on the forum or on the web where I can find some good tips for calibration of my monitor now! Colors are too yellowish at the moment! Many thanks again nerosunero

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

March 18th, 2019 20:00

Glad you found an HDMI output on your 1080. :)  As for display calibration, doing that properly requires both software and hardware.  Basically, you attach a calibration "eye" onto your display that also connects to your PC, then the calibration software displays various test patterns so that the "eye" can see them and report how those colors actually appear so that the software can adjust accordingly.  You can try adjusting color settings manually either in the display's built-in configuration interface and/or through Windows, but that is unlikely to yield good results.  If you don't want to go that route, Dell published this KB article about colored tints on their displays that has some basic suggestions for adjustments that might help.

March 19th, 2019 02:00

many thanks again jphughan I will read that article (the one you have recommended) about calibration now!

let's see if I will come on top of this issue now!

(I'll let you know)

thanks again

Mario

No Events found!