Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

2 Posts

March 16th, 2019 08:00

XPS 13 Connected Standby - Awful

Can someone tell me if it's possible to disable this feature? I am used to laptops whereby if you close the lid and the battery is at 50% when you come back later it will be at 50%, possibly 49% or whatever.

My new XPS 13 has a feature where this doesn't happen. Come back in the morning, and hey presto, your battery is almost empty. What happened during that period? Who knows.

I feel I was mis-sold this laptop. There was no warning that this occurred, it was not advertised. If I close the lid on a Friday evening after a day on AC, it's fully gone by Monday morning, and it drives me crazy.

489 Posts

March 16th, 2019 09:00

> Connected Standby - Awful

Spot on. 

> Can someone tell me if it's possible to disable this feature? 

Officially, not, the S3 option was removed with a BIOS update. Micro$oft is pushing for this (but Lenovo did return S3 sleep to some Thinkpads after user complaints). They have an agenda on making laptops do whatever they please when they're supposed to be sleeping because they know better. You're not allowed to turn this off, you can only disconnect wifi. 

Unofficially, you can look up a registry hack to turn CS off, but it doesn't work for everyone. 

There is also an option to make it switch to Hibernate after a certain percent of the battery charge is depleted (old timed Hibernate After is also scheduled for obsolescence). Mind some XPS laptops sometimes have an issue with this auto switchover and wake up instead :rolleyes:

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 16th, 2019 19:00

You can can change connect to disconnected standby in the Power & Sleep options.

To stop the battery drain, you are can normally set the system to hibernate after and hour or so.

Try running a Sleep Study on the system to see if it will tell you what it is doing.  You can do that by running:

powercfg /sleepstudy

then find the file and copy to the desktop for viewing.  If you want help checking the file, put it on your OneDrive and give us a link or copy and paste parts you are wondering about.the

I found out, if I ran Edge even in suspended mode, it would burn four times the amount of battery.  You might try finding it in Task Manager an ending that task before you allow the system to go into Modern Standby.

March 17th, 2019 00:00

Ugh I hate this computer. I don’t understand how anyone thought this was okay. 

489 Posts

March 17th, 2019 04:00

> You can can change connect to disconnected standby in the Power & Sleep options.

Yes, but I understand this may not change much, the OS and the apps may still be waking up the laptop. 

> To stop the battery drain, you are can normally set the system to hibernate after and hour or so.

Mind this workaround should not be used by those of us who are used to carry a sleeping laptop around in a bag (because S3 sleep used to be quite reliable), may get hot.  

> ... I found out, if I ran Edge even in suspended mode, it would burn four times the amount of battery.  You might try finding it in Task Manager an ending that task before you allow the system to go into Modern Standby.

Do you find such a procedure reasonable? I thought the idea of Sleep was quickly storing the system state as is so one wouldn't have to restore program windows after resuming. And doing it quickly keeping the contents of RAM (Hibernate is safer and uses less power but takes more time for suspending to disk). 

3 Posts

May 3rd, 2019 14:00

I'm on 9570 and have the same problem, fans spin up 2-3 times in a minute. 

This was not a problem when I bought this pc.

Should I get a refund trough buyer rights organisation?

1 Message

January 8th, 2020 14:00

1. Start the registry editor (regedit.exe).
  2. Move to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power.
  3. Double-click CsEnabled and set to 0, then click OK.

https://www.itprotoday.com/mobile-management-and-security/disabling-windows-connected-standby

19 Posts

March 1st, 2020 19:00

I'm so glad that the XPS 13 9360 still has the S3 mode:

The following sleep states are available on this system:
Standby (S3)
Hibernate
Hybrid Sleep
Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S2)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) <-- I had manually disabled this.

19 Posts

March 1st, 2020 19:00

I am having this set on my XPS 13 running Windows 10 1809, last week I did an update to Windows 10 1909 and this stupid feature came back by itself (Microsoft wants us to use this so badly, why???)

So I went to check the regedit and it's being set to 1.

I had to manually set it to 0, again.

April 5th, 2020 07:00

hi, how did you disable it?

There was a moment that I had it working too, but it went wrong again.
I tried group policy settings, registry and other things.

When it worked I had the same output as you for powercfg -a showing S3 enabled but also the registry having csEnabled to one so I thought it was the group policy change fixing it.
can´t get it to work after a reboot. Windows stinks. 

5 Posts

June 12th, 2020 12:00

Does anyone know of a fix for this? It's absolutely ridiculous. All the processes that are triggered during PC idle start up and chugging in the background when the lid is closed. It's horrendous. There is no sleep function for the XPS now. What on earth?

September 29th, 2020 11:00

This is the LAST Dell I've ever bought. I was deciding between HP and Dell and got the Dell at the end, but it was a very tight race. Now it's absolutely clear it was a failure. As my guarantee (I've opted for 5 years...) is still valid, I have to wait until it's over and I'll never ever buy another Dell. The support was absolutely horrible until now, so I even won't start trying to discuss this BUG with them. Not having the sleep-mode in 2020 on a notebook??? I couldn't believe this, as I'm 30+ years in the DEV business, being a SW architect and having seen everything im/possible; you can bet all my colleagues, friends and family will avoid Dell. To fight a few days against the power-management "logic" and loosing the battle at the end, drives me totally crazy. I've taken my lesson.. Maybe I must sell this brick, as booting cold from hibernate is quite a no-go: I need to write, test, code, read.. - closing/reopening the lid the whole day. This Dell-joke costs me daily a lot of time and retyping BIOS boot-pwd. Last Dell in my life.

No Events found!