Start a Conversation

Unsolved

BP

1 Rookie

• 

47 Posts

June 3rd, 2022 08:00

TB16, NVM firmware update 00.00.16 to 00.00.27 ends at update failed

I have been trying to update my Dell Thunderbolt Dock TB16 to the latest versions in preparation for a new PC.  I followed advice here https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-uk/000139915/dell-thunderbolt-dock-tb16-firmware-update-procedure and here https://www.dell.com/community/Precision-Mobile-Workstations/TB16-Dock-NVM-firmware-update-failed-on-Precision-5530/m-p/8195214#M9511.  All great references and helped me get a long way forward with all but one item/payload updated successfully:-). The laptops I have access to run Windows 10 Pro 21H2 (re: second article) so I am out of ideas on how to get my dock NVM firmware updated! Any ideas to upgrade the NVM firmware greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Peter

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 3rd, 2022 12:00

If you have the FW update running, which part is not updating?  When I ran mine, the only things that updated were the MST1 and MST2.

My Dock NVM still shows 00.00.27 and the Cable NVM shows 00.00.16.

1 Rookie

• 

47 Posts

June 9th, 2022 02:00

This is the part that I think has not updated... Dell Dock III.JPG

No matter how many times it I run it I can't get the Dock NVM updated:-( Peter

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 9th, 2022 06:00

Are there any logs for the install?  I suppose it is time to look for something to reset the firmware in some manner.  I will do some research.

I did update mine when nothing was connected to it.

Edit:  This site seems to go through a process to reset the dock.  I went to the site so it should be OK but always take precautions.

Resetting a Dell TB16 Thunderbolt dock | Daniel Paul O'Donnell (uleth.ca)

1 Rookie

• 

47 Posts

June 10th, 2022 05:00

Thanks @Saltgrass I had not seen that article, sadly even though I tried it with no peripherals attached it failed in the same place, but was definitely worth a try:-) Thanks again, Peter

Edit: Forgot to say unlike a normal install file I could not see any logs with this, but will dig deeper and see if I can find any...

1 Rookie

• 

47 Posts

June 10th, 2022 06:00

On further investigation I could ran the firmware update from the command prompt with the command C:\>DellDockingStationFwUp_1.0.5_TB16_20210716.exe /s /r /l=c:\dellfirmware_1.0.5_TB16.txt resulting in the following log file contents:

Not really a lot more help but there you go:-)Not really a lot more help but there you go:-)

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 10th, 2022 06:00

Did you try resetting the Dock by unplugging everything, including power and holding down the power button for 45 seconds, as suggested in the link I provided earlier?

1 Rookie

• 

47 Posts

June 10th, 2022 14:00

Hi @Saltgrass yes I tried that twice, unfortunately same out come:-( Regards, Peter

1 Message

January 29th, 2023 01:00

I have exactly the same behavior.

dwulz_0-1674984316884.png

15 Posts

June 1st, 2023 11:00

I also have the same problem.  I've tried using multiple computers.  Now using a 7480, but they all fail the same way.  

15 Posts

June 2nd, 2023 06:00

I have been futzing with this thing for months.  I'm begging to believe it is a lost cause.  From Basher-Peter's log above, I can see there is a 0x7 issue, which appears to be an invalid interrupt.  This is really a low-level driver issue that I doubt Dell will have the ability to solve.  You need someone with experience to troubleshoot these issues and I'm almost certain the majority of their development work is in India with very few experienced and seasoned individuals.

August 24th, 2023 20:22

Same problem here...

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

January 4th, 2024 16:08

Hi everyone!

I solved the problem using Linux‘s fwupdater. It’s lengthy and maybe a bit tricky for non-linux users.

Do the following :

Download a ubuntu iso, ideally 23.10 or newer, and create a live usb memory stick.

Before restarting, go to your user’s temp directory (..user appdata temp, you can find the path in the log in c:\Dell). Run the Firmware file (I used 1.4) in powershell with the parameter /s Then after a few seconds copy the newly created directory (some hash number). It will contain Bme.bin - Dock firmware - and Cable.bin - cable firmware. Put them aside, accessible, e.g. on a separate USB memory stick.

Boot into the live stick. Select try ubuntu and open a terminal from the program menu. Change into the directory of the bin file. For ease of use, you could also open the folder in the file explorer and then right-click -> open in terminal.

run „sudo fwupdmgr get-devices“ - you should see the dock and the dock cable in list.

run „sudo fwupdtool install-blob Bme.bin“ and select the number with the dock from the list to update the dock. BE SURE TO SELECT THE CORRECT ONE.

run „sudo fwupdtool install-blob Cable.bin“ and select the number of the cable from the list for cable update. Using parameter flags, you could also rewrite the same version. I had to, to solve a display-port issue.

if you want, you can use fwupd also to update the MST display-port firmware. Download the official cab from the LVFS site and use “sudo fwupdtool install <cabfilename.cab>”.

NOTE: the MST, shown as VMM33x0, requires newer fwupdtool versions (I tested the provided 1.9.05 by Ubuntu 23.10, the 1.7 of Ubuntu 22.04 does not work) and might not be visible if no monitor is attached. I had to use HDMI, as DP did not work initially. Also, WARNING : do not unplug for a few mins after write. According to a GitHub discussion, the MST update runs in background internally after writing and may take a bit. Not doing so may brick your dock!

hope it helps.

Flo

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

May 11th, 2024 06:29

@libra1780​ Just FYI, I signed to this website just to thank you for this guide. Couldn't update the FW from the Windows at all cost... Now everything is up-to-date.

THANKS!

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

September 3rd, 2024 03:55

@libra1780​ This method 100% worked.

No Events found!