Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

6 Posts

June 26th, 2020 15:00

Dell XPS 13 (9300) First Week of Use: Audio Resolved, Now SCREEN ISSUES??!!

For some reason, I cannot leave a review/issue on the Dell website... So here it is: 

I bought the Dell XPS 13 9300 June 14th, and it arrived June 22nd. I've been keeping a close eye on all the minor issues.

• ISSUE 1: 2 days in, I was testing out the aux and inserted a set of wired headsets in. The sound played fine when using my headset. Then when I removed the headset from the audio jack, the transition from headset to computer sound system was not smooth at all!! I was testing with Spotify music, and noticed that the sound wasn't playing at all. I adjusted the volume to 100% --> 0% and I heard nothing from the Speakers (Realtek(R) audio). I attempted to play a Youtube video and still nothing. But then, the audio resumed to play through the Speakers AFTER I had restarted the computer.
  • ISSUE 2: I attempted this again to see if I could plug in/out my earphones and check if the audio would play through the sound system and for the second time, it didn't play anything. The laptop crashed and the blue screen with the sad face " : ( Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you." It loaded to 100%, but didn't restart right away and remained on the same blue screen for 10+ minutes.
    • SOLUTION: Dell Tech support helped me restart the laptop and check the issues, and simply made updates. After that update restart, my laptop was back to normal with the audio.
  • ISSUE 3: The following day (6/25), I tested my fully charged Bluetooth Apple Airpods. The connection pairing was successful, but the sound was AWFUL. The music will play, but there's cracking noises and random skips in the audio. Just straight up poor connection - definitely NOT what I want to hear. If I disconnect any audio (Airpods or headset), the music would take a few seconds to transition to the laptop’s Sound (Realtek(R) audio).
    • SOLUTION: Downloading the latest Realtek Audio Driver helped resolve the sound issue. The transition is better, but it takes a few seconds to transition to play sound via laptop sound audio, but it's not a huge deal. As long as it successfully plays clearly is what matters. 
  • ISSUE 4: I was running Zoom and Chrome on the laptop and in the middle of my vidcall, the screen crashed and went haywire into an array of colors. My zoom video meeting was still going on and the people I was video calling could still see me and hear me, but I could not see my screen clearly at all. I tried doing "crtl-alt-delete" to shut down the programs, then it switch to a different array of colors. I just did a complete shutdown via the powerbutton. Once the laptop turned on, everything went back to normal.
    • SOLUTION: ???????? help. I want to solve this and prevent this from occurring again. Unless I return this faulty device?

I am a student studying for the MCAT and use my laptop almost every day for long periods of time. It’s an inconvenience when a newly designed laptop has these issues which ultimately affects productivity. These issues are major TURN OFFS because I ran into this traumatizing blue screen issue many times with my previous 5yr old Lenovo, and it gave me anxiety every single crash. Considering that this is a VERY NEW laptop, consumers should not be running into this issue.

Any advice, solutions, suggestions, or issues similar to mine???

During the Zoom Call + Chrome tabs openDuring the Zoom Call + Chrome tabs openAfter pressing After pressing "ctrl+alt+delete"

July 6th, 2020 14:00

I have this EXACT same issue when using zoom + chrome. Did you find any solution to this? I have a brand new XPS 9300 and this happening is ruining it! I need help!

July 6th, 2020 14:00

@mamsterdam1998 

It's unfortunate to hear that others are having these issues with this new device. It only occurred once for me, but since then, I've noticed millisecond screen glitches like the screen blinks white/black randomly. What about your screen?

I called Dell to see what was going on and they checked if my drivers were updated, checked the BIOS, and did a screen test. After the updates, I haven't noticed the screen go haywire like the photo I posted, but I still notice that there is something wrong with the screen/software. I plan on returning this laptop soon, but still searching for a replacement.

I suggest you call and see if Dell tech support can help you on their end. Let me know what you also end up deciding to do with your new dell xps 13.

1 Message

July 30th, 2020 21:00

I had exactly the same screen issue # 4. It happened twice in the last two weeks. It always happens when in a zoom video call. The call keeps going as I can hear people talking, but the screen is completely distorted. When I Ctrl+alt+Del, the screen goes back to normal. This is very annoying!

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-23 at 11.10.27 AM.jpeg

4 Posts

August 4th, 2020 18:00

I had the same problem with the screen. Dell support changed the motherboard twice. Now I think is going to work, but I have to give a week to fell confident about it.

18 Posts

August 4th, 2020 18:00

seems like this is the most common problem in the 9300. welcome onboard and hope that the problem is fixed after the motherboard.  

1 Message

August 21st, 2020 05:00

Sorry that I don't have a solution for you. I just wanted to say that I have been having many similar issues. I have had the same screen issue and I seem to have endless audio issues. Right now my headphone jack won't recognize my headphones at all unless they are plugged in when I start up the laptop. However, then it doesn't recognize them being taken out. Real pain, I am hoping some driver updates will fix all of this.

2 Posts

September 14th, 2020 19:00

I'm so glad I stumbled on this post. I am 3 weeks in dealing with this issue with Tech Support. We reinstalled everything once. Have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers and Bios I don't know how many times. The latest I was told the issue "must be a corrupt Windows file, and seeing as it's not a hardware issue you'll have to pay the $99 software support fee"!!!!!!!!!! I am DONE with this machine, and will be returning it.

The question for me is do I get the same machine and cross fingers that I don't encounter the same issue, or get something else?

3 Posts

September 24th, 2020 16:00

I have the same issue. Any recommendations?

its xps 13 9300 , running latest drivers 

3 Posts

September 25th, 2020 17:00

I have exactly the same problem, did you solve your problem?

October 5th, 2020 07:00

I have exactly the same issues. Bought my xps 13 9300 in June 2020.

Audio is dead after headphone plug in/out. Screen glitches as you report. Windows Camera app works, but no video on chrome or slack. Zoom gives glitches most of the time.

Random visual glitches also present when not using camera.

Very annoying and embarrassing when working from home...

1 Message

October 27th, 2020 01:00

I have the exact same issue for the past few months! Called dell several times they kept on telling me is not the hardware issue. They did all the updates for me but I still have the same issues at times. It is really stressful and giving me a lot of anxiety. Does changing the motherboard works? I'm so exhausted from trying to fix this issue ever since the past few months.

3 Posts

October 27th, 2020 07:00

I still have the problem with the screen and it's getting more frequent. Dell support says it's a screen issue and the part not available. It's interesting that multiple people have the same problem with the same device model and most of us started in June.

It's clearly a hardware issue with a specific batch of the xps13 9300 model as all of us have the same problem and the same time. Dell needs to take responsibility and find us a solution, the xps13 should be the top of the line product. I don't understand a company that doesn't support their products.

Two months since I contacted tech support and I still have the problem.

No Events found!