Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 11th, 2020 16:00

Dell XPS 13 9310, Display issue after installing update!

Hello,

My Dell XPS 13 9310 with the 11th generation i7 processor, Intel(R) Iris Xe Graphics, and preinstalled Ubuntu 20.04 (Kenel 5.6.0.1022-oem) just arrived yesterday. After installing the suggested updates, I restarted the laptop and it has been restarted with flickering/tearing (horizontal lines) and I cannot see and do anything. Then it goes into GNU GRUB options.
I restored the system into the original configuration and have updated firmware to the last version (Ver. 1.1.1) and after installing the updates, it has still the same issue.

I have tried Ubuntu 18.04 and after installing updates the same issue came back again!

Thanks in advance for your comments!

IMG_7303 (1).JPG

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 7th, 2021 09:00

Quick update on my end. The new drivers have been installed for less than 2 hours and I have the same problem I had weeks ago, that is to say: colors were off upon disconnecting the laptop from the power source. I had Discord and Slack opened, laptop was plugged, I unplugged and sat on the sofa. The gammas started to act up exactly like it did before. I deactivated everything in the Intel Command Center, it should fix the issue as it did last time, fingers crossed. The Intel Panel Center definitely wreaks havoc with the behavior of the screen one way or another. I do not experience other issues so far but will keep you posted should something arise.

10 Posts

January 9th, 2021 01:00

Hi,

yeah so I emailed my local dell support about the problem and the guy that was assigned to me said it was indeed a problem... But as it is weekend at the moment I shall have to wait until Monday to (hopefully) have further information on how to solve this issue.

I really hope I don't have to send (again) my device for inspection -_-

10 Posts

January 9th, 2021 02:00

@AttilaZ, I will try your proposed method after I receive news from the support. Perhaps mine could propose a defined solution and then I'll post it here. But if not, I shall give it a try.

37 Posts

@SimonKaars , it really seems to be a driver issue. For me everything works fine with the new intel driver. 

Dell will never recommend you to install an intel driver, because they have their own official drivers, even if it is well known that it would solve the issue. At some point Dell will also release a fixes driver. But, yeah, will be interesting to ser how the Dell technician solves this

37 Posts

@SimonKaars , did you try to install the latest intel video driver?

See page 6 for instructions.

Attila

4 Posts

January 9th, 2021 10:00

I took delivery of a XPS 13 2-in-1 around December 15 and I have 2 intermittent problems.

1) screen went black and it comes back after I hit the power button

2) frizzy screen and I have to hit the power button to turn off the screen and and hit it again to turn the screen back on to normal.  

patherlee_0-1610217840160.png

I called Dell support and they came to the conclusion that the problem is either the cable or the display panel. They asked me to send the laptop to their support depot to replace the screen.

I read through all the messages posted for this problem and it looks like several users in this group have similar problems.  Since I am not very technical and I cannot draw to the conclusion whether it is the driver or hardware problem. There is one post that the user had Dell to replace the screen, but did not fix the problem.  I don't want to send them my brand new laptop and they may replace the screen with refurbished parts and not fixing the problem.

My question is.

1) Is the problem driver, firmware or the screen hardware?

2) Does Dell use new spare parts or refurbished parts?

3) Has everyone else called Dell support and what they say?

I appreciate advice on what to do ?

1) Send it the laptop and let them replace the screen

2) Wait for a driver fix if it is driver problem only.

3) Try to return the laptop.

Thank you for your input and advice.

58 Posts

January 9th, 2021 10:00

@patherlee 

It’s very likely just a driver problem. I would update to the latest drivers, and lower to 48Hz refresh rate and turn off HDR and Intel panel refresh and other Intel display power-saving features mentioned in other posts here. That is, while waiting for Dell to release an updated custom version of the drivers. 

You could instead install the latest generic Intel display driver, as mentioned before. That is reported to solve the issue, but I am waiting for Dell to release the customized version of that.

I wouldn’t waste time with tech support. You’re likely just getting an overseas generic script reader at Tier 1 anyway.

5 Posts

January 13th, 2021 12:00

I just spoke to Dell support.  I have the same issue of screen frequently going blank then coming back a few seconds later.  New xps 13 9310.

Support immediately said it is a known issue and they were working on it.   Said to change freq to 48p in the Intel graphics settings panel.

I think I am already getting dizzy from the lower refresh rate.  Don't know yet if this works.  Only about 30 minutes so far.

5 Posts

January 13th, 2021 13:00

I just installed the latest intel driver (9126 build) per AttilaZ.  Changed refresh back to 59p.

I'll update if that helps

Thanks!

10 Posts

January 14th, 2021 02:00

So, the support told me to try your solution. I just did but when after I deleted my intel driver and tried to install the downloaded one, I got an error message: System not supported, or something like that.

37 Posts

January 14th, 2021 02:00

@SimonKaars , did you follow the instructuons from page 6? 

Which intel driver have you downloaded?

Attila

10 Posts

January 14th, 2021 03:00

I followed the instructions from page 6 yes and downloaded the exe file from the link. I restarted and there is another driver installed (probably an older one)

37 Posts

January 14th, 2021 04:00

@SimonKaars  You need to do the unistall steps more times perhaps, until you only see a generic microsoft driver inatalled (as described on page 6). Important is to stop the windows updates before/right after doing all those steps.

which driver version you downloaded from intel?

1 Message

January 14th, 2021 07:00

Same problem here.  Contacted Dell Support through the WhatsApp.  They finally suggested installing graphics driver from Intel Support.  Fingers crossed that solves the problem. 

10 Posts

January 15th, 2021 05:00

Hi, So I found the 'problem'. After I deleted the driver for the first time I immediately after tried to install the new one which gave me the 'operating system not supported' error. Then I restarted and saw it had reverted to an older driver, deleted it and tried again to install but same error. I restarted and saw it had reverted to the microstoft driver and then It succeeded in installing the new one (version 27.20.100.9079). I also got the install loop after but there is a post already here addressing the issue, which has a simple solution. I will repost here if the screen problem still occurs. Thanks for the help!
No Events found!