Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 25th, 2020 15:00

Dell XPS 13 9350 slowed to almost unusable in one day

The 9350 was bought new 3.5 years ago and is used on a daily basis. The boot times haven't changed substantially since purchase however yesterday it was extremely slow when surfing. I did a speed test and the rate is anywhere from <10-35 MBPS when it normally is around 300. I tested other devices in the home and they're fine. I then rebooted and noticed that instead of around 20-30 seconds to get to the desktop it was minutes. Once there if I launch Chrome it does nothing for about 30 seconds then I get the white screen, then says Google not responding and then finally loads my start up pages. Any task, on line or otherwise, is painfully slow. The Windows 10 updates were current with the exception of 2004 however when I tried to take that the download of it took about 5 hours, the install took about an hour and during one of the reboots it gave an error message saying it couldn't install it. I did the Dell System Assistant on line diagnostic and no errors. I then did the Boot Diagnostic and the only error was that the Battery was near the end of it's life. During the previous issues I was plugged into AC at all times. I've done a system restore to a month ago when no issues where present without any change. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

5 Posts

September 28th, 2020 14:00

SOLVED!

After searching for hours I found the solution.  Everything from boot up, opening apps and speedtest for bandwidth was painfully slow so I looked again at the CPU performance within Task Manager.  It was .4 with a base speed of 2.21ghz so I then searched for with that information and came across a similar posted problem AND the solution.

Turn laptop off, unplug, remove bottom cover, unplug power ribbon cable from the battery and leave it for a minute or so.  Re-assemble and test.

Voila!  It's back!  Actually it's back quicker than before as I'd done a reset and fresh windows install.  Phew....

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

September 25th, 2020 15:00

Remove the battery and try the adapter alone. Today's laptops have fast failing batteries lasting only about 1-2 yrs.

I doubt you will be able to find  the necessary genuine Dell replacement battery from Dell or Dell Parts. Batteries don't even last long sitting on the warehouse shelves. Do not buy online sellers' Dell batteries since most are scams.

Read--

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln128667/dell-laptop-battery-frequently-asked-questions?lang=en

Use the laptop as a desktop replacement. That works as long as you don't need the mobility. If you have to move it, shut down the computer completely first or any open windows will be lost.

5 Posts

September 25th, 2020 16:00

Thanks for the quick reply.  Couple of follow ups...

1.  So does the XPS 13 use the battery to power it's operations AND the AC adaptor just charges the battery...cannot power the laptop for use?

2.  Does the failing battery result in throttled performance that I'm experiencing?

i-7, 16 GB Ram, 256 SSD (35% free space)

1 Message

April 30th, 2022 10:00

I had this same problem. I did this and it solved the problem for a week, but then this problem reoccurred.

5 Posts

April 30th, 2022 12:00

I did continue to have this problem infrequently....about every 4-6 weeks and each time the battery disconnect solution worked.  I finally bought a new battery (after market from Amazon) and it fixed the problem completely.

February 6th, 2023 03:00

Hello. I have the same problem with a XPS 13 9365. Unfortunately the workaround disconnecting the battery for some minutes did not help - it still stucks with 100% CPU usage from the Windows 10 Startup. Would it be an option to order a new battery or can I safe the money?

No Events found!