Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

4 Posts

March 21st, 2019 05:00

Dell XPS 13 "AC Adapter Not Installed" after a water spill

I spilled water on my laptop (XPS 13 9343) about 4 days ago. It was on but not plugged in and it shut itself off. I wiped the water off but turned it on to work later in the day (big mistake I know). It booted and I plugged it in to charge and started working. After 15 min or so it shut itself down again. 

I then took the back cover off, took the battery out, and let it dry for the past couple of days. Now the battery works and it boots up fine. However, it won't charge or run off AC power. Running a diagnostic test it says that the "AC Adapter is Not Installed".

Is this just a replacement AC adapter or are there other things that can/should be done. Note that unfortunately battery is around 20% so updating bios isn't something that can be tried.

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

March 21st, 2019 06:00

I assume you are using the original Dell adapter? If you have access to another Dell adapter (possibly a friend) try that adapter. Also try a system reset. Disconnect the battery and unplug the adapter. Then press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Now reconnect everything and try again. If that does not work and another adapter does not work it is possible the motherboard has been damaged related to the charging circuit. Or the power jack on the system is damaged.

4 Posts

March 21st, 2019 06:00

Thanks! Tried the reset and still didn't work - and tried with a different adapter. Have ordered a new powerjack and will try that.

If that doesn't work - unsure if it's worth replacing the motherboard given the age of the machine. Might just have to get a new one at that point.

No Events found!