Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 15th, 2020 02:00

Dell XPS 15 9500 doesn't see the microphone of the headphones

I am trying to connect headphones(3.5mm jack) with a microphone to my laptop, but the microphone is not visible in the system. I tried reinstalling the audio driver - it didn't help. However headphones were working on another machine. What might be the problem?

2 Intern

• 

410 Posts

July 15th, 2020 04:00

do you not get this pop up with input optionswave.JPG when you plug in your headset?

July 15th, 2020 08:00

Yes, that was the problem. I accidentally clicked Headphones instead of Headset. And for so long I couldn't solve this problem because I checked the box next to "Don't show this again". Thank you

July 18th, 2020 12:00

Hi, I'm experiencing the same problem as OP, except I don't recall getting that popup. Any ideas?

2 Intern

• 

410 Posts

July 18th, 2020 15:00

somethingfishy do you have MaxxAudioPro installed as a program?

If you do, open it, click the head with headphones and choose what output you want. also if you click advanced  at the very bottom you can choose to get the popup when you connect a sound output/mic device.

max1.JPG

• 

25.7K Posts

July 21st, 2020 05:00

Hey,

We haven't heard back from you. I hope that the issue is resolved. If you need any assistance in the future please ping us here.

Have a nice day ahead.

Regards,
Shalvi

1 Message

July 21st, 2020 09:00

Hi, if it can help, I had the same problem and I solved it by re-enabling the internal microphone in the bios that I had voluntarily deactivated during the first startup.

July 21st, 2020 10:00

I do, but it shows a speaker icon there instead. There's no headphones option in the dropdown menu on the bottom, so I can only assume that maxxaudiopro also doesn't detect them being plugged in.

July 21st, 2020 10:00

I've been talking with dell technical support and they tried a bunch of driver stuff, didn't work. They think it's a hardware issue, which I'm somewhat skeptical of as this should be a brand new machine, but oh well. Also thanks for trying to help, everybody. I appreciate it.

2 Posts

July 27th, 2020 11:00

Did they ever get you a fix? I have an XPS 15 9500, too, and I seem to have the same exact issue you're having. I've uninstalled all audio drivers, even the hidden ones in device manager, rebooted, and installed everything again, including the realtek usb audio driver. Whether I plug the headset into the laptop or the WD19TB, I don't get the pop-up, even though it's enabled in Waves MaxxAudio Pro, it just connects as headphones. I can plug the headset into any other laptop or dock in the office (9570, 7590, TB16, WD15) and it pops up and I can choose headset and everything works without issue. It's just the new 9500 that doesn't work!

July 29th, 2020 11:00

I also have no headphone option (icon) in MaxxAudioPro, even though I select the headset option at the popup after plugging in the headset.

1 Message

July 31st, 2020 19:00

Same issue.  The only way I have found to work is restarting the computer with the headphones plugged in.  But if you disconnect them, your computer will not be able to find them again. I had Dell technical service look at the issue for me and they uninstalled all drivers and reinstalled an older driver for me.  Then it technically worked but you would barely hear any sound.  Windows update said I was using an old driver and so I updated it and then had the same problem. 

1 Message

August 28th, 2020 02:00

I got the same problem with my new XPS 9500. It seems to be related to the driver. 

At beginning, I cannot hear anything from my headset. 

Disable the Maxxaudio Pro, I can hear from speaker, but nothing from headset. 

Disable the Realtek HD Universal Service, I can hear from both speaker and headset, but it does not detect microphone, no matter the internal one or the one integrated with my headset.

Still cannot find any solution yet.

2 Posts

September 5th, 2020 20:00

Same problem with my brand new XPS 15 9500. I don't see the headphones option anymore after disabling the popup from Maxx audio 

2 Posts

September 7th, 2020 06:00

Same wit my XPS 15-9570.

I bought my Laptop in late 2018 and I had this issue but was unable to send it away because I had to use it in university. Then out of the blue it worked. I changed nothing.

But now I have this problem again for several month. I'm so sick of this issue and Dell giving a sh.it about this problem. I'm out of service now and have to live with this issue because no one will help me from Dell.

It's a shame that a 1.5 K Laptop has this issue for years and from generation to generation this problem doesn't get solved.

1 Message

May 13th, 2021 01:00

Thanks so much for that! 

Up until recently I could just choose in the windows sound settings which microphone was to be used, the internal, or an external from the headset jack. Then this option disappeared and only the internal mic was available.

What a meanness to suddenly hide this standard setting in such a complicated and secret place! I am not sure if this whole MaxxAudioPro serves any purpose. I will probably just uninstall it an live a happy, easy life again...

No Events found!