Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 23rd, 2020 03:00

Dell XPS 15 9500 erratic trackpad

Hello.

I have just received my new Dell XPS 15 (9500) and it's almost perfect on every aspect, except for one very annoying thing.

The trackpad is erratic. Most of the times it doesn't work, and when it works it freezes and jumps and cannot be clicked. It's completely unusable.

I have tried loads of things so far: bios update, driver updates, turning on and off so many options in windows and bios (touchpad settings, HDR, touch screen, HID devices, NVidia software, Intel software....) but the problem remains.

Note that I don't have the wobbly effect or clicking effect others are experiencing.

I have booted from Dell Recovery and Ubuntu and the problem is the same.

One would think that's it's a hardware problem, but what doesn't make sense is that it works perfectly fine in bios.

Anyone has the same issue? What would you recommend?

8 Posts

July 2nd, 2020 08:00

A Dell technician came by today (without any notice, thankfully I was there and available). He changed the whole palm rest + keyboard + touchpad assembly. The issue is solved.

• 

25.1K Posts

June 23rd, 2020 03:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

9 Posts

June 25th, 2020 14:00

Hi there, did you end up getting a solution to this? My two gripes with the XPS 15 are the inaccuracy of the trackpad, and some occasional freezing of the screen I've experienced while using video chat apps. If you have anything to share on the trackpad issue that would be great!

8 Posts

June 25th, 2020 21:00

Not yet.

A Dell technician is following up with me in PM and said they’ll open a service request after many software troubleshooting steps. I assume that means hardware replacement.

I’ll keep you updated. 

8 Posts

June 26th, 2020 12:00

They've been making me wait for the past 3 days now, saying they'll soon provide a service number, but nothing yet.

2 Posts

June 26th, 2020 22:00

I am having the same issue with mine, just got it today. No loose trackpad, but the erratic behavior is awful. 

9 Posts

June 27th, 2020 12:00

I did the "electrical tape fix" going around on the /r/dell subreddit, because they did make me realize part of my problem was the trackpad having too much give. It's much better...but as I was posting a similar reply to someone else, the mouse cursor decided to stop moving for about 10 seconds. It's feeling more and more like software to me, and considering the video chat glitching I'm having with the screen too, I'm HOPING this new Intel drive might help considering I've only seen the problems in 2D applications. 

https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/06/27/intel-graphics-driver-version-27-20-100-8336/

8 Posts

June 29th, 2020 05:00

Thank you for the feedback.

I haven't noticed any screen problem and my trackpad doesn't seem to be loose or have much play. It's a shame to pay more than 3000$ and be stuck with this problem.

I'll try the driver and will get back to you.

8 Posts

June 29th, 2020 05:00

The driver didn't make it any better. I didn't notice the screen glitch problem yet.

My last resort is to get hold of some screwdriver and test the tape thing. The support hasn't been giving any updates lately.

8 Posts

June 30th, 2020 08:00

I also discovered on thing, others are experiencing this too.

When lifting the laptop from the front right side with one hand, the touchpad clicks, as if you clicked its left button, and I hear it. So it's definitely a hardware issue, something must be loose.

1 Message

August 21st, 2020 17:00

I am having this problem too - we just purchased the device and the trackpad is erratic. 

1 Message

August 31st, 2020 21:00

Same here

19 Posts

September 10th, 2020 03:00

Received my brand new laptop Aug 5th. Wobbly trackpad.

Received a replacement laptop today, Sep 10th. Wobbly trackpad.

"Solved per June 1st" I think not.

1 Message

September 25th, 2020 13:00

This is my exact experience. The trackpad has no wobble. It's actually quite nice. But, it stops working for around 10 seconds. Sometimes I can get the cursor to move if I touch around the corners of the trackpad. The machine itself is completely responsive. I can ALT+TAB to other applications, I can type.... it's just the trackpad that freezes. Come on Dell! I love this machine, but I can't pay $2000 for something that has these issues!

September 27th, 2020 12:00

I have a very similar issue in Dell XPS 15 9500

No Events found!