Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

6 Posts

December 27th, 2018 06:00

Dell XPS 15 9550 - SYSTEM BIOS 1.9.0 Issues

Since the system bios 1.9.0 update, I noticed that sometimes going into the pre-boot diagnostics, the touch pad doesn't work, and also more recently noticed that it sometimes fails the webcam test intermittently (sometimes it pass, sometimes it doesn't), in particular it is the "sensor sync" test (out of the 5 or 6 webcam sub-tests if I remember right). My webcam works perfectly in Windows 10 though, in Skype, the Windows 10 Camera app etc...

Also I've had some incidents, few of them, where the system would be stuck on a blank (black) screen and had to be hard-shut-down from the power button as there was no way to revive the screen and access the system. This would happen after the laptop would be left untouched for a long while and normally should have gone to sleep or hibernation.

Any ideas, or maybe a new properly functioning bios on the way?

590 Posts

December 27th, 2018 09:00

What BIOS version were you on before 1.9.0?  Any issues with it?

Was any other driver updated around the same time as the BIOS was updated?

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

December 27th, 2018 12:00

Thank you for your message. Since the devices are working fine when not in the diagnostic screen it confirms that the hardware is fine.

Please try running a diagnostic using the Dell Support Assist application & check if there is any error reported in any of these devices.

What is the status of the power button light when the screen is stuck on the blank screen, does the power button light blink or stays steady?

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

How to find service tag.

1 Message

January 17th, 2019 08:00

Hi Bluekiller007,

"Also I've had some incidents, few of them, where the system would be stuck on a blank (black) screen and had to be hard-shut-down from the power button as there was no way to revive the screen and access the system. This would happen after the laptop would be left untouched for a long while and normally should have gone to sleep or hibernation." 

I have the same problem then you. Did you find some solution for that?

4 Posts

January 23rd, 2019 08:00

I have the same problem with V1.9.1 - constantly freezing after sleep.  I have Samsung nvme M951 .  I tried many different drivers including the last one - the same.  It appears that the hard drive stop responding ,  screen mouse is moving but the system is blocked.  Any suggestions?

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

January 23rd, 2019 09:00

Thank you for your message. Have you observed this issue with the original hard drive that was shipped with the computer?

Does this happen only when you wake the system from a sleep mode or does it happen when booting from a complete shutdown or restart?

Did this happen before the BIOS upgrade?

4 Posts

January 23rd, 2019 12:00

Service tag : 

This is the original HDD with the system : W53CK

HDD FW: BXV76D0Q   - whre  to find nvme FW update? 

Samsung NVMe driver 3.0.0.1802

It happens with all different bios -V1.4  /  V1.6.1 / V1.9.1 

It happens only after sleep  - every 20-30 sleep cycles.

When RAID is enable in bios it happens every 3-5 sleep cycles

How can I troubleshoot?  Any other info needed?

Thanks in advance

4 Posts

January 28th, 2019 17:00

I found the problem in my case . The hibernate was disabled but Win10 still try to execute it with default 180min. In such cases try to verify if hibernate works manually. Easy way to check if is enable is to verify if you have c:\"hiberfil.sys". File is hidden and OS specific. If not try to enable with command prompt / admin "powercfg.exe /hibernate on" If this is disable windows is trying to address this file even in normal sleep and then freeze. Only option to recover cycle power. This problem does not exist in Win7 , I'm using it for 7 years. Since this resolution, 2 weeks now, I don't have any problem any more with Win 10 - Sleep or Hibernate.

January 30th, 2019 09:00

I was on bios 1.8.0, the previous one. I can’t remember if I updated any drivers at the same time. I wouldn’t think that a driver (unless it is a firmware update) would affect how the touchpad behaves in the bios ePSA diagnostics, neither would it make the webcam fail one of the sub-tests. As for the computer becoming unresponsive, I think that might have had to do with me using bittorrent (and I suspect using the option in bittorent to quit the program as soon as all downloads finish - as when I did not use this option I did not get this problem anymore, or at least it seems so). Could have been a windows update though that might have fixed this in the meantime. I have had the unresponsive touchpad in the bios ePSA diagnostics only a few times, usually it works, but the webcam sensor communication sub-test fails intermittently. Camera works in windows as I said without problems. I also ran the support assist diagnostics and all seemed ok there...

I think the xps was stuck while trying to sleep, because power button was lit, but hitting keyboard or touchpad would not wake the screen. Pretty sure it’s a bittorrent bug (see my replies above).

In my case I suspect using bittorent and a particular option in it, to quit bittorrent when all downloads complete, I think that interfered with windows sleep or hibernation (both of which I have enabled). I did not use that option again in bittorrent and the problem has not reoccured.

System is still with original SSD SK Hynix 256GB

The support assist diagnostics did not show any problems.

The power button was lit and steady while the unresponsiveness problem happened. But as I mentioned above this could have been caused by me using bittorrent and choosing the “quit bittorrent when all downloads complete” option. It also has options such as “shutdown when all downloads complete” so I think that somehiw bittorrent getting permission to either quit itself or shut the computer down interferes with windows somehow...

February 5th, 2019 11:00

I have exactly the same issue with my 9550 - System is stock, no hardware alterations. I have only recently upgraded to this BIOS, and that is when this particular problem surfaced. Drivers are all up to date via the Dell website, and I've also tried Intel's own installers. I'm unable to reliably recreate the system hang, often times I'll simply pickup the machine to find it will not respond. I'll see a blank screen, power light but zero response from keyboard/touchpad input. To be clear, this happens when the system sits idle for a period of time.

4 Posts

May 20th, 2019 21:00

Yes, it is hibernate settings problem. Please, read the beginning of the post.
No Events found!