Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Z

14 Posts

August 11th, 2020 03:00

Dell XPS 15 9550 still unusable even with brand new battery - works like a potato

Greetings,

Disclaimer: Do not buy a Dell, it will run like a potato and you will never get proper help from custoemr service 

I have had this Dell for 2 years and it still runs like a potato even after I followed every single advice from a Dell representative, update drivers constantly, tweak windows to make it run on dell's hardware, etc.

There is a case where dwm.exe and csrss.exe will spike in resources and slow down the whole laptop. The thing is that this happens pretty much 24/7.

I understand resources are there to be used and a high resource usage on itself is not an issue but it becomes an issue when this high resource usage makes all the other application sluggish. When I say sluggish I mean games have 1 fps, it takes seconds to change between windows, etc

The high usage happens in spikes and seem to disrupt the functioning of others components, namely the Nvidia GPU and any graphics based application (nowadays it seems like it's everything).

The only difference I noticed was when I removed my battery and I did not have this issue again but when I replaced it with a brand new one, it started again.

This laptop cost 1,700.... A THOUSAND AND SEVEN HUNDRED POUNDS STERLING and it behavves like this?!

I am for sure never again purchasing Dell but I would like to at least be able to finally make use of this ridiculously expensive potato please.

Please understand I have been having this issue since day one and I have already done the following:

- Update all drivers

- Update bios driver to latest

- Update win10 to latest

- Change Nvidia PhysX settings to use GPU 

- Change Nvidia image settings to use advanced 3d image settings

- Change Nvidia 3d image settings for all the apps and games I use that require graphics to use Nvidia GPU 

- Change power options to run for best performance 

- Removed battery

- Replaced battery 

- Change Windows Graphics Settings for dwm.exe and csrss.exe to run for best perfomance on Nvidia GPU (but this seems to be overriden by Nvidia 3d image settings where it is set to use the integrated cards and it can't be changed)

- Change Windows settings to optimise performance (that included removing all but two quality of life graphical changes)

- Ran native windows troubleshooter and all the dell/windows/intel troubleshooter services I could find

- Installed the Intel Graphics Command Center

- Uninstalled Nvidia Geforce experience

- Disabled Intel HD Graphics Control Panel service

- Run that test that your mods keep pestering me about. There were no issues, you can see the results yourself. There is no blue screen. 

I am at my witts' end honestly, I am very close to just reselling this laptop and never purchasing Dell again.

I wish this was the only issue with this model...

Is there anything I can try short of having to send my laptop to Dell and wait for months without a work/play station?

No Responses!
No Events found!