2 Posts

December 20th, 2020 05:00

Dell XPS 15 9560 Scrolling not working

Switched on laptop today and 2 finger scrolling and zoom are not working

Soltions I have tried

• Updating Driver in Device Manager
  • uninstalling driver in device manager
  • Running supportassist
  • entering "missing" registery for mouclass (it was already there?..)
  • running multiple online driver scanners
  • checking for all updates

in device manager under mouse there is only "ps/2 compatible mouse" and there is no device for HID compatible touchpad etc 

any help very much appreciated!!!

2 Posts

December 24th, 2020 05:00

I had the same problem... on a Latitude e7470... just in the last several days. I uninstalled/reinstalled the Dell Touchpad (via device manager), and that fixed it for a few minutes and then reverted to not working. I think it re-broke when a web site (Gmail in my case) that uses gestures displayed in my browser.

I was able to get scrolling working by completely uninstalling the Dell driver via Device Manager AND the Dell Touchpad application (via) "Apps & features" in Windows settings - then rebooting. This apparently lets the machine use the native Windows touchpad drivers - and 2-finger scrolling now works on my machine (but pinch zoom/unzoom only works when I hold down the CTRL key).

I believe this is a bug in the Dell Touchpad driver - which I hope they'll fix), but barring that, I think I'll have scrolling if I keep the Dell drivers from re-installing.

Cheers, and hope this helps.

2 Posts

December 24th, 2020 06:00

Just a correction to my earlier reply...

It's not actually, "(but pinch zoom/unzoom only works when I hold down the CTRL key)" 

I should have said (but only CTRL + two-finger-scrolling works for zoom/unzoom).

Sorry for any confusion....

146 Posts

December 29th, 2020 17:00

Reinstall the program, or reinstall the system.

1 Message

October 14th, 2021 12:00

i know this is an old thread, but it has just happened to me on my Dell 9560. Here are the instructions i found to sort this out.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/xps-13-9530-xps-15-9550-replace-windows-ptp-precision-touchpad-ptp-driver-with-synaptics-driver.783990/, as the file was not available from his link, ie  PS/2 and SMBus Synaptics driver, i copied and pasted it into google, i found 2 files one relating to the I2C , and more importantly the ps/2 and SMBus driver.  once you've go them follow the instructions in the link.  Every thing has gone well except on restart i never got the...........

16. At startup, you should see this, untick "Always ask before opening this file" and click "Run".

so click the two downloaded files setup.exe and all options for my touchpad are there. I hope this helps people as this was doing my head'in. Touchpad not working

October 15th, 2021 02:00

thank you for commenting on this old thread!!

Unfortunelty, my problem continues...

I think somehow my touchpad was uninstalled, no idea how. 

I cannot follow your solution as HID Compliant Touchpad and I2C HID Device are not even in my Device Manager (even when viewing hidden devices)

Thanks again for your help

1 Message

February 11th, 2022 05:00

I just bought a Dell XPS 9510 and I think I'm having a similar problem. But mine is intermittent. Trackpad is working well most of the time but apps like Word or if I try to scroll on the task manager to see all running apps, it won't scroll. I'm using Windows 11 and I realized that a lot of apps are not 100% stable yet with Win11. I wonder if this is the same with the trackpad. It's very weird that it's intermittent. 

No Events found!