Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 22nd, 2018 13:00

XPS 15 9560, Shuts down randomly

I have the Dell XPS 15 9560 and I've installed a new motherboard today. The laptop keeps shutting down randomly. Sometimes as soon as an intensive task starts (Unraring, opening 15 chrome tabs all at once, or any task that is demanding.) 

It shuts down sometimes after few mins and sometimes after seconds. The shutting down looks normal; I get "Shutting down..." screen and no errors or warnings.

Bios Version is 1.7.0 (even though the latest version on Dell's website is 1.6.2)

I've run Diagnostics (using F12 when the laptop starts) and all tests passed. 

Any advice?

1 Message

February 24th, 2018 13:00

Same problem here! Under reasonable heavy work load my 9560 did shut down to, but did the downgrade to the older version of Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework and the problem seems to be gone for now....Don't know why Dell is still pushing the update for the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework true their support assist,but they should look in to this asap!

4 Posts

February 27th, 2018 10:00

They should, today I updated some other dell drivers and Thermal update came back and installed, now I am not able to staop shutdowns even after going back to previous driver. Maybe it is caused by another update? Does anyone know how to list latest updates?

3 Posts

March 2nd, 2018 04:00

After I bought my XPS15 (9550) in Feb 2016, the same happened with my laptop. In the following 9 month the motherboard was exchanged three times, followed by the replacement of the whole Laptop. Since then it works fine (you find the whole story here:

Link to forum

). Alas, the 3 years "premium support" I bought additionally in Feb 2016 give some trouble, as it seems, it wasn't transferred to the new Laptop. This is a pity, as now the batterie  swelling problem needs a replacement of the batterie ... But the investigation is still running ...

8 Posts

March 3rd, 2018 03:00

My reply with detailed description of shutdown problem was deleted by moderators.

Well done. The best way to solve the problem is to remove every mention of it!

1 Message

March 19th, 2018 09:00

Hey, sorry, so how do I downgrade the update? Any help would be great, laptop keeps shutting down :(

6 Posts

March 19th, 2018 10:00

I recently bought the top of the line fully loaded XPS 15 9560 with 32gb of ram, 1tb ssd and 4gb gtx 1050.

I received it in a gorgeous chic dell box. 

Opened the box and to my delight this was the most gorgeous little machine i have ever touched; seriously.

Turned it on and was stunned at the quality of the screen image and absolutely stunning colors.

After installing all of my windows and program apps and all worked fantastically well I installed the only game I used to play which is WOW (world of warcraft).

and suddenly the laptop shutdown....This kept happening every time i started the game WOW.

I started checking online and called Dell support and no one seemed to have an answer and Dell blamed it on the game itself.

After a long search and my weeks of frustration that wasn't even necessary i figured it out on my own. I opened up the laptop and removed the heat sink to find that  heat transfer paste was spread all over on top of the CPU and the sides and all the little connections were completely smothered with it and i believe this was causing a short or many shorts. Cleaned it up and put new paste properly and put everything back in place and put the cover back on.

I went into the bios and unchecked the CPU scaling of the turbo and that's it.

I haven't had any issues since and all is working perfectly. 

I would try to un-check the scaling first and that on its own...

for those who are having this issue and can't find a solution try this and it may may work for you as well!!

1 Message

March 19th, 2018 11:00

ive tried it and it works. just download and install the link below.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=JTXD1

6 Posts

March 19th, 2018 12:00

I recently bought the top of the line fully loaded XPS 15 9560 with 32gb of ram, 1tb ssd and 4gb gtx 1050.

I received it in a gorgeous chic dell box. 

Opened the box and to my delight this was the most gorgeous little machine i have ever touched; seriously.

Turned it on and was stunned at the quality of the screen image and absolutely stunning colors.

After installing all of my windows and program apps and all worked fantastically well I installed the only game I used to play which is WOW (world of warcraft).

and suddenly the laptop shutdown....This kept happening every time i started the game WOW.

I started checking online and called Dell support and no one seemed to have an answer and Dell blamed it on the game itself.

After a long search and my weeks of frustration that wasn't even necessary i figured it out on my own. I opened up the laptop and removed the heat sink to find that  heat transfer paste was spread all over on top of the CPU and the sides and all the little connections were completely smothered with it and i believe this was causing a short or many shorts. Cleaned it up and put new paste properly and put everything back in place and put the cover back on.

I went into the bios and unchecked the CPU scaling of the turbo and that's it.

I haven't had any issues since and all is working perfectly. 

I would try to un-check the scaling first and that on its own...

for those who are having this issue and can't find a solution try this and it may may work for you as well!!

1 Message

March 20th, 2018 02:00

Hi Omar, 

Have you solved your problem? Just like yours, my xps 9560 has the same shutting down issue. It started in Feb that the computer became extremely choppy( even take 10+s to open the Task Manager) with occasional shutting down. It cannot run Overwatch anymore because of the shutting down. Ironically, it cannot even finish the stress test in Dell's own SupportAssist. 

Then I took it to repair, with the mainboard switched. But things did not get better. The shutting down issue is still there. It got even worse after I let one of the premium support stuff to control my computer to do diagnosis and tests, and updated the Nvidia driver. 

I believe the shutting down is not for overheating because now it shuts down AT THE MOMENT I enter the game! I believe there must be something wrong with the Graphic Card.

March 23rd, 2018 06:00

Have any tried the new update for intel dynamic platform and thermal framework?

For me the release date was March 07.

Meanwhile I have talked to Dell's Danish support. They where aware of the problem, but said it was fixed in February - which it obviously is not.

22 Posts

March 23rd, 2018 09:00

The solution worked for me. It's a downgrade of the Thermal management driver. I haven't experienced any problems since I've downgraded. I've been notified by dell about a newer driver and I've tried it twice, but I found out they are the same as old one (I had to memorize the bad driver version so I don't upgrade again.)

Yes, the laptop was shutting down even as soon as I open a game or even with opening few programs like Chrome with multiple tabs.

I've had shut downs as soon as I open Windows as I remember.

Now, I haven't gotten any unexplained shut down since the downgrade.

I'm really happy with my XPS now, but I would be grateful not to have all these problems in the first place.

3 Posts

March 23rd, 2018 14:00

Installing this works!

...it is not the oldest version though.  Scroll down to "Other Versions" on that page...there are older versions.

March 24th, 2018 07:00

I am at a loss, and incredibly annoyed at Dell for this crippled machine. It worked great for the first 8 months, although suprisingly slower than the laptop it replaced.. at any rate. Now the  machine can't run 20 minutes without shutting down, usually in photoshop, although most recently it even happened during a file-upload. What?!? I was monitoring the temps the entire time, never getting above 85. I have undervolted the cpu, downgraded the thermal driver, and still this computer randomly shuts down on me and I lose my work. I ordered thermal pads for the VRMs, will try this before repasting the CPU. Never buying DELL again after this, so many headaches with this machine and it's costing me $$$$ 

March 27th, 2018 15:00

I have now repasted the CPU, GPU, and installed thermal pads on the VRM. Even though the thermal performance has vastly improved (barely breaking 75 degrees under load), the computer will STILL randomly shut down during intensive tasks. Playing any games or working on large photoshop documents is impossible without the computer shutting down, even with the processor and GPU not being stressed. What the heck, DELL?!?!

The computer sits on a cooling pad and couldn't be better ventilated if I had tried. Whatever drivers came out and broke our machines, PLEASE FIX IT. It is crazy to me that this machine worked perfectly for 8 months and then suddenly became crippled and not a word from DELL about it. I parted with $2k for this and am counting on it for professional assignments. All I have now is a very sexy brick. 

March 30th, 2018 01:00

Thank you very much, my friend also worked, I believe it is a misreading of the new temperature control driver!

Portuguese:

Muito obrigado amigo, para mim também funcionou, creio ser uma leitura errônea do novo driver de controle da temperatura!

No Events found!