Toto-xps15
2 Bronze

Dell XPS 15 9570 battery problem

I have a big problem with my Dell battery. The battery, having reached around 50%, suddenly drops to 7% and turns off after a few minutes. When turning the computer back on, the battery is at 0% but continues to operate normally for several hours before finally shutting down. It seems that the battery is working well, but the PC does not understand the charge level well. Some idea? tried to completely discharge the battery and recharge it to 100% but not much has changed

3 Replies
zly_
2 Bronze

Re: Dell XPS 15 9570 battery problem

I have exactly the same issue with six months old laptop. Have you found any solution yet? First it started to happen at 6% and now at 25%. It drops to zero and shutdown the laptop. Plugging to external power source for couple of minutes temporary solves the issue and enables me to start the computer. In Dell Power Management, it shows that battery is healthy.

Toto-xps15
2 Bronze

Yes, I solved the problem. For several days I use the pc until it shut down (after it turned off, I turned it back on and continued to use it until it finally shut down, without the possibility of turning it back on). At this point, I waited 2 or 3 hours and put the pc on charge up to 100%. I continued like this until the battery started dropping "normally". Now I no longer have "jumps" from 50% to 7% etc.

zly_
2 Bronze

Just want to thank you and confirm that your solution works. At time of writing this, battery and laptop is one year old, and works as expected.

From time to.time when this issue happen I let battery discharge completely, until I can't start the computer and power button does nothing. Then leave it for 3 hours before charging and then charge it to 100%.

Also I found that you can power on your laptop while charging up to 100%. It does not make any difference. It fixes the issue and battery discharges itself until 1-2 percent which is acceptable for one year old (at time of writing this) battery.

Also to discharge battery completely I made separate power plan in which I disable sleep/hibernate and set lid up/down events to do nothing. So when this happens I just select this "Full Discharge" plan and when laptop shuts down and power off, I just need one try to power it back up again until battery is discharged completely and power button does nothing. Then, your steps again, leave it 3 hours and charge up to 100%. And afterwards switch back to Dell Power Plan.

Regards

0 Kudos