Go to Solution

Closed

2 Posts

July 9th, 2023 15:00

Dell XPS 15 burnt!!

XPS 15 9560

XPS 15 9560

I have a Dell XPS 15, built it 2017  

Today I was working on it and heard a crackle in my laptop, it then smelled like something burning.  Then the screen it turned itself off. I unplugged it and after few minutes tried to turn it back on. It’s boots up then right after I log in and the main screen comes on it turns itself off. 
The PC was under no heavy load neither GPU or CPU.

I flipped it over and opened the back cover to check for any visual signs of burnt elements and saw a burnt part, see pics. 

What is this part? Can it be replaced or fixed?

Thanks

IMG_5155.jpeg

IMG_5159.jpeg

10 Elder

• 

23.4K Posts

July 9th, 2023 17:00

More than likely, the data is intact on the hard drive or solid state drive -- you will need to purchase a cable or enclosure for whatever type of drive you have, remove the drive from the system and connect it to a working system to recover your data.

July 9th, 2023 16:00

Thanks, can all my data be saved from it?

10 Elder

• 

23.4K Posts

July 9th, 2023 16:00

Most repair shops capable of doing the work won't touch a job like that, since there's no way to know what caused the failure, and no way to know what else might be damaged.

A quick look on Ebay shows that complete working 9560s run in the $150-500 range depending on the CPU/GPU etc.  You won't repair this one for less than that with a mainboard replacement.

The other issue is the age of the system -- it's about 7 years old, so unless you have other reasons for keeping this system going, you're probably better off replacing the system at this point, if not with a new one, then with a newer system.

No Events found!