Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

L

3 Posts

August 26th, 2020 02:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

Dell XPS 9550 F1, F2 and ~ not working (again!)

I have had my Dell XPS 9550 for four years now.

Two years ago my keyboard made some troubles, because three keys (namely F1, F2 and ~) became unreliable at first (i.e., they would only react sometimes on key press) and then stopped working completely (note: of course, I am talking about the keys at a whole, i.e., they would also not work in Fn mode to mute or decrease volume). All other keys (including F3-F12 and Esc) worked flawlessly I ordered a replacement keyboard and all keys worked again.

A week ago the issue started again, i.e., F1, F2 and ~ (and only those three keys) stopped working occasionally and now do not react at all.

It appears obvious that it is a hardware issue, because the key presses are not registered. However, I am a bit surprised that the exactly the same issue occurred again and that I did not find any other reports of this issue. This makes me ask if the issue is/was with the keyboard or with the connection to the motherboard or something else (something that I may have fixed accidentally when replacing the keyboard). I have no idea how to check that, but it is just so surprising that it is just exactly these three keys again that stopped working all of the sudden.

Did anybody experience the same issue? Do you have any suggestions for other checks / resolution attempts, apart from just ordering another replacement keyboard (which may fail again in two years).

30 Posts

December 22nd, 2021 03:00

Having the same problem: ~, F1, F2 will not work after wake or reboot. If you press the buttons insistently they eventually start working. Wiggling the charging cable indeed helped once.

1 Message

January 31st, 2022 03:00

I have same problem. But I see Dell is not responding to the problem ((

1 Message

March 1st, 2022 22:00

Same problem. First it worked to genty disattach the key top and "viggle" the part below. Not even that doesn't help. My assumption is that these three keys share the same hardware connection and that might be faulty or has some microcorrosion? 

Anyone found a solution already? 

1 Message

March 10th, 2022 19:00

Same problem here, still troubleshooting to find a solution,... any feedback from DELL ?

2 Posts

March 20th, 2022 22:00

Having the same issue here.  Has anyone come up with a solution? 

Beside of the F1 - F2 issue, I'm having problems with the USB-C port as well, when I connect a USB-C disk to it, most of the times it cannot get recognized, but if I connect a usb hub, and connect a HDMI cable to the hub (thru the USB-C port), I get video, but if I connect a memory stick to that same port, nothing happens.  

Anyone having similar problems?

3 Posts

April 4th, 2022 15:00

Same F1 / F2 problem here and I have an XPS 7590 - very inconsistent behavior! Seems to randomly work sometimes and then it just stops!

7 Posts

Is your tilde/backtick key working? (~/`). I still have to use onscreen keyboard to tap these characters. Super annoying.

3 Posts

Also not working. It *seems* that if I hold one of them for a few seconds they decide to work again for a few minutes (yes I hold 1 of them and all 3 start working again - go figure).

7 Posts

April 4th, 2022 16:00

yes, this is the same issue. My 'holding' pattern stopped working. They mostly not working now. They woke up one day all of a sudden (accidentally found they are working) but stopped working later the same day. Tried flashing BIOS back and forth to no avail. And F2 definitely not working at boot time to invoke the BIOS Setup. Has to use F11 workaround... Worse now, my %/5 key started to respond poorly. 4 and 6 are also lagging sometimes. I think I will open a case with Dell and ask them to fix it. Even if it will cost me, I don't care.

1 Message

April 29th, 2022 15:00

Have exactly the same issue, XPS 15 9570. Nothing helped (BIOS reinstall, "push patterns" etc...).

It's quite disappointing that Dell ignore such a frequent issue for 2+ years. 

Looks like red flag for upgrade to new XPS

7 Posts

May 16th, 2022 13:00

I have fixed the issue. It was a hardware issue. Keyboard replacement solved it. As warranty on my laptop is expired it was easier and cheaper to do replacement myself. It could be a hardware design flaw that creates exactly the same pattern of faulty keys. 

3 Posts

May 19th, 2022 11:00

Hey everyone, I did what's explained at 0:44 in the video below. It seems to have worked (at least for the time being). A driver issue is puzzling, but go figure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP-NmR2A5mE&t=44s

1 Message

May 31st, 2022 16:00

Have the same problem with my 9570. It started to occur after using a laptop for about 2 years. ~ and F1, F2 work sometimes when incessantly clicking those buttons about 10-15 times.

Very disappointing.

3 Posts

July 11th, 2022 05:00

Same problem here.

I think it started after i upgraded from Ubuntu 21.10 to 22.04 LTS.

3 Posts

July 11th, 2022 06:00

I've a Dell laptop XPS 15 7590.

For my laptop i've solved this issue by selecting a different keyboard configuration (trial-and-error)

sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

Select the "Dell Precision M65 laptop" model, US etc.

Finally solved!

No Events found!