Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 8th, 2020 09:00

Dell XPS 9560 cannot send data/display over usb-c

Last week I was able to use my Dell XPS 9560 with my Dell U3219Q over usb-c

However, today I noticed that this is not working anymore. I also noticed external storage and audio over usb-c doesn't work either, but power delivery does still work. The laptop is connecting directly to the monitor over usb-c.

With a Macbook Pro, connecting to the monitor over usb-c works fine, but with my Dell product from the same year, it doesn't.

How can I debug this and fix it? Last night SupportAssist ran, but afaict no drivers were installed.

4 Posts

June 8th, 2020 13:00

The windows update is a red herring. I downgraded and had the same problem.

A much more likely problem is the recent BIOS update, which may or may not be related to the Windows 10 update. The problems regarding this update are detailed in this thread: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-13-9300-BIOS-1-0-10-USB-Type-C-to-DP-adapters-no-longer-work/m-p/7575174#M61711

However, I am not getting any message pop up in windows about USB devices not being recognized. 

I likely scenario is that I updated my BIOS between the last time I successfully connected to my monitor. I did notice that the monitor appeared as an audio output. Why the mouse+keyboard were not being detected through the usb-c connection to the monitor is probably related.

Given the state of recent updates. I'll mark this as the solution and wait to see how the other thread progresses.

4 Posts

June 8th, 2020 10:00

Also possibly related is that over usb-c, the external monitor was smooth. Now connected over HDMI, the external monitor is laggy and there's visible screen tearing.

4 Posts

June 8th, 2020 10:00

I did install Windows 10 2004. I think this may have been between when I last tested my monitor, making the feature update the most likely culprit.

For example: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-is-investigating-ten-windows-10-2004-known-issues/

There is mention of separate thunderbolt and display driver issues.

No Events found!