Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 17th, 2018 21:00

Discrete Graphics on Battery

I'm trying to figure out how to run the nvidia 1050ti graphics card while on battery power. I've tried changing the global settings on the nvidia control panel, drivers are up to date, changing power mode settings. I've been plying a game and when plugged in and presumabley running the nvidia I get 350+fps on highest graphics settings. I unplug and it immediately drops to 30fps even on low graphic settings. I've spent an hour combing through forums and stuff and always come across just switching the nvidia global settings, but that's not working. Is there a display or rendering hold up while on batter power maybe?

1) Is it even possible to run the nvidia on battery alone? I think I've read the battery alone may not be powerful enough to power it

2) Please tell me there is a nice easy way to fix this :)

running brand new dell xps 9570 with the nvidia geforce 1050ti max-qglobal settings set to nvidiaglobal settings set to nvidia

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

July 18th, 2018 10:00

1.  Not at anywhere near full power, no.  Take your battery capacity (97 W-hr) and the output of  your AC adapter (130W) and do the calculation:  you'll get 0.74 hr out of the battery or just over 45 minutes.  And there's no way the battery could sustain that without overheating.

2.  There isn't. If you want to game at anything resembling reasonable frame rates, the system needs to be plugged in.  Doesn't matter what system you buy -- unless you're playing a game designed for mobile use (like on a phone, etc.), you need to have AC available.

July 18th, 2018 10:00

Copying this reply from another thread:

In GeForce Experience go to the Settings menu then choose Games from the left side.

There should be an option called Battery Boost that allows you to set your maximum framerate.  Have you tried turning this off or upping the max framerate?

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about (image was found with google and is not mine)

15 Posts

July 18th, 2018 11:00

Is there a way to up the frame rate on intel graphics on battery power? My old laptop could handle 60 fps on low settings, surely the newer intel graphics should be better than that but I top at 30fps even on lowest settings.

No Events found!