Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 22nd, 2019 23:00

XPS 15 9570, WD15, not charging

I have Dell XPS 15 9570 and all of a sudden last Friday it stopped charging via WD15 dock (I tried several). My XPS have latest drivers and latest BIOS.Is it possible to fix with software? If not - is there Dell on-call technicians in Belarus to arrive and fix it for me?

1 Message

November 5th, 2019 10:00

I am also experiencing this issue. Both the laptop and the docking station are up to date. I have tried all the fixes mentioned in this thread, but the problem persists.

Due to changes made in the Laptop BIOS updates, you need to setup like this =
* Both AC power adapters must be connected to BOTH the Laptop and the WD15
DELL-Admin

• 

16.7K Posts

January 23rd, 2019 05:00

Dobryak,

Dell onsite technicians do not troubleshoot. They only replace the hardware components that we ship to them.

Click the link below to update the firmware on the dock.

WD15

For my notes, click my username and send me the pc service tag number via private message.

5 Posts

January 23rd, 2019 21:00

I tried this update on my dock, but it keeping saying me that MST (multi-stream something) is not installed there. Will retry it again, as it seems to be updated lately. My dock charges the simular laptop - so, the problem does not seems to be in dock :(

5 Posts

January 29th, 2019 22:00

I tried an update and it does not nothing (see attached). Also, I noticed interesting thing - if dock is connected first, and charger second, then my laptop would not charge. I have to connect charger first and only then the docAfter update, after rebootAfter update, after rebootAfter update, before rebootAfter update, before rebootBefore updateBefore update

As you can see - it does not installed MST1

• 

16.7K Posts

January 30th, 2019 04:00

Dobryak,

Click the link and verify that you have the correct power adapters for the dock and system.

Dell Dock WD15 (USB Type-C) Information, Compatibility and Specifications

5 Posts

January 30th, 2019 04:00

Yes, they are correct. Also, I shall note that it was working previously

• 

16.7K Posts

January 30th, 2019 05:00

Dobryak,

Both the laptop and WD15 power adapters must be connected prior to connecting the laptop and powering on.

Click the links below for information with the dock. 

11. Dell docking station WD15

The Dell Docking Station WD15 is a device that links all your electronic devices to your computer using a USB Type-C cable interface. Connecting the computer to the docking station enables you to access all peripherals (mouse, keyboard, stereo speakers, external hard drive, and large-screen displays) without having to plug each device into the computer.

• CAUTION: You must update your computer’s BIOS and the Dell Docking Station drivers to the latest versions available on Dell support site before using the docking station. Older BIOS versions and drivers could result in the docking station not being recognized by your computer or not functioning optimally.

AC Adapter Errors or Battery not charging when docking Dell Notebooks

WD15, TB16, and TB18DC docks not detected when AC power is cut/disconnected then reconnected.

5 Posts

January 30th, 2019 05:00

That does not helped :(

• 

16.7K Posts

January 30th, 2019 06:00

Dobryak,

is there Dell on-call technicians in Belarus to arrive and fix it for me?

* No. Dell onsite technicians do not "troubleshoot" dock issues.

* Turn the XPS 15-9570 off

* Disconnect the XPS 15-9570 from the WD15

* Disconnect the power adapter from the XPS 15-9570

* Connect the power adapter to the WD15

* Turn the XPS 15-9570 on and connect to the WD15

* Yes or No, does the WD15 charge the XPS 15-9570?

1 Message

April 29th, 2019 11:00

I had the same problem but it was fixed when I unplugged the dock and plugged it in while it was connected to my laptop. Some people seemed to find similar results. Turns out, the dock and laptop need to be connected before plugging it in for it to charge. Hope it helps.

1 Message

October 27th, 2019 20:00

I am experiencing the same issue with 10 or so laptops that are all utilizing the WD15 dock.  All have been updated (BIOS and drivers) they will not charge but will continue to work with the display(s) that are plugged into them.  

No Events found!