Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

6 Posts

August 13th, 2020 12:00

Fans are always on when charging - XPS 9700 17 inch

Hi, I like pretty much everything about this laptop but contemplating a return.

Fans are always on when charging. It's maddening.

Things I have tried and it didn't' help at all.

1. Updating to the latest version of BIOS through system update utility

2. Putting a laptop in a quiet mode in Dell Power Manager in the Thermal Management section.

Nothing out of ordinary in the process manager - 6-10% CPU usage and 30-40% RAM.

When I disconnect the power supply and run on battery the laptop is quiet.

Please let me know if there are any suggestions.

Thank you.

• 

25.7K Posts

August 13th, 2020 12:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

6 Posts

August 14th, 2020 09:00

""Settings -> Power -> Advanced -> Fan

--- There is no Advanced under Power and Sleep options.

August 14th, 2020 09:00

Check in Settings -> Power -> Advanced -> Fan I believe there is an option for passive vs active cooling. You can change it for both Battery and when on AC.

1 Message

September 27th, 2020 15:00

Hi Elomax,

I have exactly the same issue and no idea how to fix it. Fan drive me crazy when I plug in. Did you fix it somehow? Thanks

186 Posts

September 27th, 2020 19:00

1. Heat dissipation. When the notebook is plugged in, the content will be processed in full frequency, and the heat will rise at the same time, so it will become hot. Of course it is not ruled out that it is the setting reason
2. It may be a problem with power management settings. You open the power option of the control panel, in the advanced settings
Set the highest performance du can be set to automatic adaptation, or mid-range performance to see if it is resolved.
Because of the external power adapter, generally the system will automatically turn on the hardware and high performance, so the fan speed is also
Will increase, and the sound will increase; and when the battery is used, it usually automatically switches to low performance, so
The dao speed of the fan is not very fast, and the sound is relatively small.

6 Posts

September 27th, 2020 20:00

To cut a long story short, what you are saying is this:
1. It is expected fan behaviour
2. The fan noise is expected and we are just overreacting complaining that it is loud.

I have technical evidence regarding #1 that with another vendors this is not happening, so this is purely dell thing.

None of us would complain if the fan noise would be tolerable.

6 Posts

September 27th, 2020 20:00

Nope, the guys in Dell support offered some help, but first steps weraxe unsuccessful. By that time I have discovered tons of other issues - adaptive brightness problems, trackpad not working in some cases, there were lots of different small things but all of them combined made me decide to return a laptop and go with another vendor.

1 Message

December 27th, 2020 04:00

This could be your old devices plug in to usb c port. Remove any connected devices. Get the task bar(alt+ctrl+del) check which application or window services drags more power.

Dell power management has a bug where it does the opposite power setting. Avoid using it and use only windows.

If you can delete all bloat ware that comes with dell.

Preferebly clean windows installation

Hope this helps

March 13th, 2021 16:00

you say remove all the bloatware.

can you be more specific?

i have exactly the same problem on a brand new xps17

March 13th, 2021 21:00

hi there - can you contact me for some help on exactly the same point?

i have a brand new xps17 and the fan noise is just ridiculous.

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

April 3rd, 2021 04:00

When your suggesting to delete all bloatware... I assume this includes Dell Power Manager? Is it possible to have my WD19TB DOCK connected but not charging? I dont see why the fans need to be on all the time when the batter is at 100%.

1 Message

May 21st, 2021 21:00

Agree 100%

I love the laptop but cannot live with this noise, It's maddening as you said.

2 Posts

May 30th, 2021 18:00

Hi! I have the same problem. I contacted dell support, they just guided me to do a full test and since there's no error showing up, they don't offer any solution to this problem. But I can't stand the noise coming for the fans when the laptop is plugged in. Even if I am just surfing the web. Even if I am in a cold room. I tried changing the thermal management from optimized to quiet, stops the fans for a few seconds but then they quick off again. 

When not plugged in, doesn't get so hot and noisy. But I don't remember having this problem when I first got my laptop a couple of months ago, it must have been after some software update, I believe. I will contact dell support again and see if they can offer a solution, I am still under the guarantee, the problem is that I live in a remote area in Argentina, not so easy to send it back to get it fixed if that was the case. So far very disappointed with this issue after investing so much money on this high spec computer. 

1 Message

August 12th, 2021 00:00

100% agree, same situation with me with my XPS 13 9310 Laptop, 13.4. 

2 Posts

November 21st, 2022 16:00

I had the same issues with my XPS 9720. After a clean install of Windows 11, I experienced high fan noise and low battery life even though the task manager did not show high CPU usage. I tried several things and eventually found that the issue was caused by the Dell Support Assist tool. Since I uninstalled it a couple of months ago, the problems have disappeared. However, the downside is that you no longer get automated updates, so you occasionally have to check the Dell Support site for updated drivers manually.

No Events found!