Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 6th, 2019 13:00

XPS 15 9570, draining battery when closed, sleep issue

1. The XPS 15 (9570) is shipped from the factory in Disconnected Standby mode.  If the OS setting is changed from Disconnected Standby mode to Connected Standby mode, this can cause the system to monitor background  WiFi traffic which may cause the battery to drain faster.  A reinstall of the OS  also may cause the OS setting to change to Connected Standby mode.  Dell recommends leaving the system in Disconnected Standby mode to maximize the battery life while the system is in sleep. To change from Connected to Disconnected Standby mode an OS reinstall is required. For further assistance with this please reach out to @DellCares.
  2. An issue exists that can result in  XPS 15 (9570) not going into sleep correctly when plugging or unplugging from the Dell Thunderbolt Dock (TB16).  This issue can be resolved by updating the firmware on the TB16 to the latest version and the BIOS on the XPS 15 (9570) to the latest version.

1 Message

June 12th, 2019 10:00

Hi.

Go to Windows settings and select Power & Sleep. There will be an option for Network connection: "When my PC is asleep and on battery power, disconnect from the network", change it to "Always". From the factory settings it was selected "Never". And I faced the same problem of battery draining.

What is Modern Standby?

Modern Standby Performance Improvement Package Application

Modern Standby, the Battery drains quicker

123 Posts

June 6th, 2019 22:00

What is this magic button you have to press during Windows 10 setup to "switch off connected standby"? There exists no such button or toggle option.

44 Posts

June 7th, 2019 12:00

@balveenI have a third party USB C adapter (Hyper Drive - 3xUSB 3, LAN, HDMI), and whenever connected my laptop goes to sleep only once in 5 times, and when it does it takes a long time for fans and keyboard light to turn off.

Even in cases when not having ANYTHING plugged in, the laptop often wakes up from sleep for no reason. When I check powercfg /sleepstudy it says the reason for waking up is keyboard input. But the laptop is sitting with closed lid, nothing is touching it. Something isn't right. (Btw, I checked powercfg -a, and the laptop is in "disconnected standby mode".)

The laptop simply does NOT sleep properly, and MANY people have this problem. I can't just close the lid when I'm done with work, I have to use hibernate. And then wait 20 sec for the laptop to wake up the next time.

123 Posts

June 10th, 2019 12:00

Everything @balveen said is just wrong, and it is so cringe how no one working at Dell seem to have any true idea, what they are talking about.
1. you cant toggle or switch during Windows 10 setup, if you want connected or disconnected standby
2. you cant switch between connected and disconnected standby anymore, since over 1-2 years (not sure which major update it was), but MS changed it. There is no toggle option anymore under System->Energy (you were able to select if you want to use connected or disconnected)
3. The current setting you can chose from is this: https://i.imgur.com/jxc4Pi5.png It will disconnect WLAN during modern standby.

No Events found!