Start a Conversation

Unsolved

U

1 Message

October 19th, 2018 06:00

Google Fiber vs DELL XPS Network Slow Speed slow

My System

I have Google Fiber 1 gbps connection here in Raleigh.    With a new fiber Jack, new router, new Ethernet Cables 5e. Google Services guys connected their lap top PC to Google Router via ethernet cable got ~ 900mb down/300mbps up.  To prove the capabilty - live.   Wireless connection was about 400/200mbps. etc.

I recently purchased new DELL XPS 13.  My XPS ethernet wired connection via the Google Fiber gets 175mpbs down/175mpbs up.  XPS has Windows 10, Intel i-5 CPU, 8 GB Mem.  The DELL Support person confirmed the network card handles 1 gbps.

I replaced the ethernet cord to make it 5e style.  I use the Dell Adapter-USB-C to HDMI/VGA/Ethernet/USB 3.0 DA200 to connect the lap top to the Google router.  - Only way to connect Ethernet + Monitor + HDMI. etc.

I showed the Google Service guy the slow network speeds issue and he points me to call DELL.

I called Dell Support - for about (2) hours of on line work of them controlling my laptop they tried everything and then ultimately pointed me  back to Google's Router.  

So my issues is = neither the ethernet connection or wireless connection from the DELL XPS to the Google Router gave close the expected speeds.

So I am between Dell vs Google...  UGH!

Any suggestions?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 19th, 2018 07:00

To start isolating variables, do you have another system you can test that DA200 with, or another USB Ethernet adapter you can test with your XPS 13?  If Dell didn't already do it, obviously make sure the Realtek USB GbE driver for the DA200's Ethernet port is up to date, and also make sure the XPS 13's BIOS/firmware is up to date.

2 Posts

November 7th, 2018 14:00

Also, you can try this:

• device manager
  • network adapters
  • find your GBE Family Controller
  • right click > properties
  • advanced tab
  • select speed and duplex
  • move from auto-negotiation on drop-down to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex

That might also help fix.

2 Posts

November 7th, 2018 14:00

Smartbyte is sometimes the culprit:

• win + r
  • type in msc
  • search smartbyte and stop service
  • go to programs and features, remove smartbyte.

This was a temporary fix for me - you'll see, it should fix your gbps fiber connection over ethernet.
For whatever reason, my issue came back after a few weeks of it hitting around 850-900 mbps down.
I'm still trying to figure out if there is another software bit in this image so I can remove it. 

This is a software related issue, not a Google Fiber issue.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 8th, 2018 09:00

@stereodee wrote:

Also, you can try this:

• device manager
  • network adapters
  • find your GBE Family Controller
  • right click > properties
  • advanced tab
  • select speed and duplex
  • move from auto-negotiation on drop-down to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex

That might also help fix.

This is NOT typically a good idea.  The formal Gigabit spec recommends that you use Auto Negotiation for any Gigabit-capable ports, both NICs and switches.  If you force speed and duplex like this, then you can end up severely grading performance even if you set the options that would have been auto-negotiated anyway.  I've seen this on multiple occasions working with business-grade ISP connections.  Sometimes the ISP equipment is hard-coded and the customer gear is set to Auto, and in those cases performance is typically fine in one direction and horrible in the other.  Other times the ISP gear is on Auto and the customer gear is hardcoded because the network engineer just dislikes "automatic" stuff.  Same result.  But hardcoding was also much more common for Fast Ethernet (100Mb) because auto-negotiation wasn't as reliable on hardware from that era.  Gigabit improved this significantly.

1 Message

March 7th, 2020 23:00

How is the current situation for me i have no 1Gbps connection but decent speeds for my usage. 

Here is what i got from my Dell XPS 13

89356039_178877703564283_2913108366475657216_n.jpg 

Here is what i got from my Desktop with Ethernet 

89308694_178879036897483_7231009954612641792_n.jpg

Tested my internet speed from Mobile/Tablet devices  they are getting very closer speeds to desktop with Ethernet. Unfortunately my XPS 13 is getting only fraction of the speed. I try to update the driver etc. but no luck! 

1 Message

November 17th, 2021 01:00

There are many tools and app available that shows you your 4G speed. But only TM Speed Test shows the exact speed results. This tool is free and easy to use. You can also find some tips to increase your speed on this site.

1 Message

May 20th, 2023 08:00

When experiencing slow network speeds, it can be challenging to pinpoint the exact cause as it could be related to various factors. Here are a few suggestions to troubleshoot the issue:

Check network drivers, Test other devices, Check network settings, Disable security software, Test with a different Ethernet port, Try a direct connection.

Keep in mind that network speeds can be influenced by various factors such as distance from the router, network congestion, Speed Test TM, and other local conditions. It's important to eliminate potential issues step by step to identify the root cause.

No Events found!