Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 1st, 2019 09:00

XPS 15 9570, slow internet download/upload speed

Greetings, DELL Community:

First, tremendous thanks for this resource and for those who've helped me out previously - it is greatly appreciated. Second, apologies for the length beforehand and if I'm posting this in the wrong place- trying to cover all my bases concerning rectifying my issue: extremely slow internet speed. 

SYSTEM SPECS

DELL XPS-15 9570, running Win10 Home, Build 17763, running an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2208 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s), 8GB physical memory, 11GB Virtual Memory (w/3.8 available), No Hard Drive, but a 223.27 GB SSD Drive (NTFS) w/149.61 GB free space, and I'm also running an external Toshiba Terabyte drive (931.39 GB NTFS w/905.11 GB Free also NTFS);

THE ISSUE:

• On 5/27/19, I began uploading a 904 MB, 17min31sec, MP4 1080p clip to my YouTube channel, edited using SONY VEGAS PRO 16;
  • As of Thursday, 5/30/19, the clip was up to 95% done, but it hung up afterwards - I let it sit;
  • As of Friday 5/31/19, it was still hung up; frustrated, I went ahead and deleted the upload;
  • I uploaded a clip to YouTube the previous week, and it only took a few hours (the clip was 422 MB, 15 min runtime, MP4 1080p);
  • I plan to attempt re-upload later tonight/early Sunday morning;
  • As far as I know, the clip meets the required YouTube specs for uploading.

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS/STEPS TAKEN:

• I did an internet speed check, and it told me that my upload speed is .4 mbps, and there is also a 447kbps figure(please see the screengrab below);
  • I also moved my router (CISCO connected to a Westell 6100 box) 5 feet closer to my laptop;
  • I made sure that all my required DELL updates were installed; the only update I have remaining is a Windows 10 update which I haven't done yet: 2019-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1809 for x64-based Systems (KB4497934);
  • I also briefly searched the forums here, and saw many mentions of uninstalling SmartByte - I don't have that installed;
  • I also came across several pieces of conflicting information (from various sites, including this help forum) concerning a Killer Control Center app - some said it worked; some said it didn't; I haven't used it yet;
  • I also came across several tidbits online claiming that there is an issue with a chip? in the Dell XPS-15 9570 that may be contributing to the extremely slow internet upload speed;
  • IntrntSpdChk1.png

MY QUESTIONS:

Before I set out to re-upload the 17min31 sec clip, how do I:

• a)Fix the internet speed issue? Should I call my ISP and pay to have it increased??? (Really want to avoid that, if possible, for now);
  • b)What specific solutions do you recommend that I use to resolve this issue? 
  • Also, would I need to uninstall Killer Control Center (even though I don't even use it yet, and am leery of doing so)? 

I'd like to resolve this without having to spend a lot of $, if that is possible. Thanks so much. Looking forward to hearing back.

Respectfully,

C.E.

June 8th, 2019 08:00

Greetings Robert:

Thanks again. Here's a small update-a technician came out yesterday (from my ISP) and he boosted my internet speed to 50mbps and provided a new faster router.

So far, things seem to be alot faster. Trying my YouTube upload again soon and will keep you posted. According to calculations from https://downloadtimecalculator.com/Upload-Time-Calculator.html, it shouldn't take me longer than 5 mins.

Will keep you posted.

Best Regards,

CE

9.4K Posts

June 3rd, 2019 05:00

Hi CriticalEye,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Per your post, if a previous upload went well with the same computer, then it would be possible that the ISP would need to be checked.  You might have them come out and test it for you at your connection to be sure you are getting the upload/download speeds you are paying for.

If all that checks out, then the next thing would be to run a systems diagnostics by pressing F12 at start up or by running Dell SupportAssist.  Make a note of any error messages encountered and post back.  If there are none, then it could indicate either a software or driver issue.  

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

June 4th, 2019 04:00

Hello Robert,

Thanks-I'll contact my ISP to see if they can do it either by phone or WebEx and will report back later. Will keep you posted.

Respectfully,

CriticalEye

December 1st, 2020 06:00

I had the same problem, and nothing helped... until today!

I'm happy to report that the issue has been fixed!

What I did:

1. I removed the Killer software using Killer's own uninstaller (https://support.killernetworking.com/download/killer-uninstaller/)

2. I uninstalled the Killer network card using Windows's Device Manager (check "Delete the driver software for this device"). My hope was that this resets the driver to Windows own driver, which was apparently successful (after a reboot)

No Events found!